Who are you telling and when?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 El_see

Posted 20 November 2016 - 02:23 PM

Hi Ladies, just wondering who you're planning on telling about your pregnancy (if anyone) before 12 weeks?
We've decided to just tell immediately family now, but everyone else at 12 weeks. Just curious to hear what everyone else is planning 😊

#2 Amelie_

Posted 20 November 2016 - 02:49 PM

We're hoping to keep the secret and tell our family at Christmas (I'll be around 10-11 weeks), and then everyone else after 12 weeks. I'm worried I might accidentally let on this week at work as I have had two cry-for-absolutely-no-reason moments this weekend! Really hoping it doesn't happen at work!!

#3 sandy34

Posted 20 November 2016 - 03:16 PM

I've told a good friend (accidentally) and a couple of people at the gym (because they 'caught' me puking), my PT.

I will tell my sister after the dating scan and the rest of my family at Christmas (12 week mark)

#4 Tad84

Posted 20 November 2016 - 04:07 PM

Close friends and my sister know. We have decided well after Christmas, maybe just before the baby is due to tell everyone else lol.

I am not expecting an amazing response froM our families.

#5 *Jasmine*

Posted 20 November 2016 - 04:16 PM

I've only told my dental hygienist as a change to my medical history.

I'm going to tell family after our 12 week scan and then work after my January holidays, I'll be about 16 weeks by then so I'm sure they'll already suspect going by my size!

#6 Ezzra

Posted 20 November 2016 - 05:09 PM

We've already told our parents, only because we have a big trip with them and now we had to cancel.
Other close family will be told at xmas. Everyone else at 12 weeks

#7 Theia

Posted 20 November 2016 - 05:40 PM

Edited by Theia, 24 June 2019 - 09:52 PM.

#8 Kallie88

Posted 20 November 2016 - 09:47 PM

I've told a close friend, and dh told his boss at work, mostly because then it's easier if he needs a day off here or there he doesn't have to make stuff up. We're planning on telling family at Christmas, not quite 12 weeks but close enough. I'm itching to tell people now, but at the same time I'm looking forward to seeing their faces when they figure it out, I'm so excited about the reveal I've planned!

#9 HKT2017

Posted 21 November 2016 - 05:35 AM

I have told my bestie, we are pregnant together so we both shared early. I also told my close group of friends who I met while having my son. They all supported me when I lost my last pregnancy so whatever way things go this time I would tell them anyway so I figure why keep the secret?

My sister also knows and my PT.  We will tell our parents at Christmas as a surprise, I'll be 9 weeks then. I'm sure they are all expecting it!!

#10 Bugster

Posted 21 November 2016 - 07:36 AM

I have told Hubby and my dr. lol.

no one else will know till after 12 weeks, If I can get away with hiding it 20 weeks but I doubt that will happen. I expect mostly negative initial responses from both sides of our families to be honest so not really looking forward to sharing. (They were mostly negative when we announced number #3 so I imagine #4 will be worse)

#11 *Jasmine*

Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:45 AM

View PostBugster, on 21 November 2016 - 07:36 AM, said:

I have told Hubby and my dr. lol.

no one else will know till after 12 weeks, If I can get away with hiding it 20 weeks but I doubt that will happen. I expect mostly negative initial responses from both sides of our families to be honest so not really looking forward to sharing. (They were mostly negative when we announced number #3 so I imagine #4 will be worse)
That's awful :(

#12 sa5h

Posted 21 November 2016 - 05:03 PM

I've told three close girlfriends cause we were at an event were there was drinking on the weekend and they'd be onto me in seconds if I suddenly didn't have a cocktail with them.

We're going to tell our parents after hopefully seeing a heartbeat at our first ultrasound at 8 weeks and then let everyone else know after 12 weeks (mid January).

#13 jadeykiss

Posted 21 November 2016 - 09:43 PM

I've told a close friend will probably tell family after dating scan. I had a MC before Bub 2 and it helped having family know and be able to support me so we always tell early on

#14 Bugster

Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:28 PM

Thanks ladies :) , I love my family (and most of my outlaws) and know after they adjust they will be excited however I know their first reaction will be pessimistic (for many involved reasons and I know that they mean well) but I just wish to skip past it and the grilling I am sure to get.

I am sure my friends will be excited.

#15 *mumoftwoboys*

Posted 22 November 2016 - 09:28 AM

I've told my work colleague. I work in pathology so she will do my blood tests. Hubby told his best mate. Other than that at this stage we will wait til 12 weeks to tell everyone else.

#16 Veryclucky

Posted 22 November 2016 - 10:12 AM

I have told a couple of friends from my mums group and one from my previous DIG as they all knew I was going through fertility treatment (2 of them did similar) and none of them know my other family and friends so it won't get out accidentally further than those 2 groups even if they do spill the beans not that they would.

I am busting to tell my best friends and our families so doubt I will make it too far before I spill the beans. We are wanting to use an ultrasound photo in my MIL's birthday card in mid Dec so will try to hold out until then to tell either family. Other option is a handprint artwork we are doing for my husband's godmothers birthday present in early Dec...could make a fake tiny handprint to go with ours and the 2yr olds....see if they notice lol.

I am NOT telling work this time even if it is dead obvious with morning sickness as I am on a temporary secondment (currently due to finish in March when I will be half way)and my substantive work area is in the middle of a work redesign. last time my maternity leave came at the worst time and caused me to not getting a secondment extended and missed out on potentially a permanent higher level position. Our HR procedure states we have to give 10 weeks written notice of our intention to take maternity leave so that means late April is when I have to tell them if I haven't already. I just want to feel a bit more settled with work redesigns and secondments before I spill the beans.

My PT and chiro I will tell when I see them next as it is something they need to be aware of.

Edited by Veryclucky, 22 November 2016 - 10:18 AM.

#17 Newtothisall

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:39 PM

I've only just found out this week, so far I've only told my sister. We are very close so I had to call her straight away the moment I saw the second line!!
I have my best friends engagement party this weekend that I'm a bridesmaid for and I'm known to be the life of the party. Not sure what excuse to tell everyone why I'm not drinking... they will find it a shock to not see me with a wine in my hand. Any tips??

#18 Amelie_

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:46 PM

View PostNewtothisall, on 22 November 2016 - 08:39 PM, said:

I've only just found out this week, so far I've only told my sister. We are very close so I had to call her straight away the moment I saw the second line!!
I have my best friends engagement party this weekend that I'm a bridesmaid for and I'm known to be the life of the party. Not sure what excuse to tell everyone why I'm not drinking... they will find it a shock to not see me with a wine in my hand. Any tips??

Congratulations! :)

I've been using an excuse that I am on a 10 week fitness plan - no drinking allowed! Seems to be working so far!

You could also get/make yourself a 'virgin' drink and pretend? I saw someone (I think in this DIG?) say that they drank apple juice out of a wine glass :D

#19 *Jasmine*

Posted 22 November 2016 - 08:56 PM

View PostNewtothisall, on 22 November 2016 - 08:39 PM, said:

I mentioned at a dinner that I overdid alcohol recently and had a bad experience so am laying low for a while. Same with sushi...bad experience.
Caffeine I haven't come up with a good excuse yet. Have been drinking decaf at work so they may not be onto me yet!

#20 Amelie_

Posted 22 November 2016 - 09:00 PM

View Post*Jasmine*, on 22 November 2016 - 08:56 PM, said:

Caffeine I haven't come up with a good excuse yet. Have been drinking decaf at work so they may not be onto me yet!

I'm going to have to grab a decaf tomorrow! Starting to look super suss with the work girls. Trying to "break my caffeine addiction" is only going to get me so far!

#21 El_see

Posted 23 November 2016 - 06:19 AM

I've been drinking decaf @ work and one of my coworkers figured it out... We're close friends and I've told her to keep it on the DL. My work Xmas show is on Friday, so that will be interesting.
As much as I'm over the moon to be pregnant, I'm sure you'll all agree that it sucks to be secretly pregnant this time of year.

#22 Amelie_

Posted 23 November 2016 - 07:01 AM

The funny thing is, tragicrainbow, that I genuinely have been trying to cut down the caffeine because I've been having headaches if I miss even one coffee! But I will still have a real one every so often :)

El_see it's definitely going to get tricky to navigate the Christmas parties over the next month!

#23 *Jasmine*

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:53 PM

View PostEl_see, on 23 November 2016 - 06:19 AM, said:

I've been drinking decaf @ work and one of my coworkers figured it out... We're close friends and I've told her to keep it on the DL. My work Xmas show is on Friday, so that will be interesting.
As much as I'm over the moon to be pregnant, I'm sure you'll all agree that it sucks to be secretly pregnant this time of year.
You could claim your turn for designated driver for the Xmas show :) that's my story!

Oh it sucks badly. I'll be 11.5 weeks at Christmas so we've booked a hotel for Christmas night so we can avoid our families - too risky with the food I might be offered - and I'm never going to hear the end of it from DH's mother *cries* she will find out shortly after though so she'll soon cotton on.

#24 *Jasmine*

Posted 23 November 2016 - 01:55 PM

View Posttragicrainbow, on 23 November 2016 - 11:40 AM, said:

Just go designated driver ladies, or be sneaky and buy that Rose Maison stuff ;) Just pour your own glasses, and everyone will think you're drinking :p Where there's a will, there's a way! I remember as little kids, (European Christmases) my mum used to buy that for us from Woolworths in the cordials section so that we could drink it out of plastic goblets and feel special like the grown-ups! LOL.
Hahaha! My DS loves that stuff! I think it makes him feel 'naughty'. He announced to my mum "nan, I drank wine!!!"

#25 leenystar

Posted 23 November 2016 - 04:09 PM

We just bought online a little Tee for ds to wear that says I'm going to be a big brother. He will wear it to lunch with our parents after it arrives and that's how we will tell them. I will worry about how to tell everyone else after the 12 weeks. Hope I haven't jinxed it by buying something... eeek the way my mind works.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.