Balance bike

20 replies to this topic

#1 Wolf87

Posted 23 November 2016 - 06:50 PM

Thinking of getting one for my 18 month old. Worth it? Is it advised to get helmet, knee pads etc?

#2 José

Posted 23 November 2016 - 06:55 PM

I firstly had a wooden one for my DS. It wasnt great.
I then got another- first bike. Heaps better, love it.

Im not sure what protective gear if any is recommended

#3 Agnetha

Posted 23 November 2016 - 07:01 PM

My dd didn't take to it but loads of other kids do. Helmet yes

#4 Wolf87

Posted 23 November 2016 - 07:05 PM

View PostJosé, on 23 November 2016 - 06:55 PM, said:

I firstly had a wooden one for my DS. It wasnt great.
I then got another- first bike. Heaps better, love it.

Im not sure what protective gear if any is recommended

Ahh cool, you mean the ones that look more like proper bikes are better? I'll definitely be buying in store to make sure it's the right size etc.
Also not sure on protective gear, it's not like she'll be going that fast!

View PostAgnetha, on 23 November 2016 - 07:01 PM, said:

My dd didn't take to it but loads of other kids do. Helmet yes

Yeah I think helmet might be enough?

#5 EvesCristina

Posted 23 November 2016 - 07:12 PM

Edited by EvesCristina, 23 December 2016 - 06:41 AM.

#6 Neko NoNo

Posted 23 November 2016 - 07:15 PM

I got a cheapie from Kmart and DS (5yo) has got the idea from it, however I see little kids, could only be three or four on the more expensive ones where you can add the pedals later and they are riding the bike properly. We got DS a pedal bike as well and he still has training wheels. I wonder if he would be riding a two wheeler sans training wheels had I just bought the more expensive bike originally.

#7 joeyinthesky

Posted 23 November 2016 - 07:17 PM

I think PP means Firstbike brand of balance bikes. We got one of these for DS for his second birthday - it has been a massive hit and well worth the $$. They are light - lots of the cheaper ones are so heavy for little kids - and manoeuvrable,and it is still in great condition despite daily use.
It did take him a few months to really get speedy and confident (no bad thing!) but we don't have much yard space that isn't grass so he only got practice on the footpath. First bike sell a lowering kit so that their bikes fit smaller children - not sure about 18mths tho.
Definitely a helmet, but we haven't bothered with knee pads.

#8 *Melstar*

Posted 23 November 2016 - 07:35 PM

On the helmet front, we bought quality ones, fitted at a cycle shop. Could not believe how much better the fit was compared to the cheaper Target/Kmart helmets. The quality ones have more adjustable components so they fit so much better. Well worth the investment, I think.

#9 Chaotic Pogo

Posted 23 November 2016 - 07:55 PM

DD has been riding a balance bike since she could walk, so less than 12 months. This one:
http://www.wiggle.co...-smooth-runner/

Which I would have recommended but looks like they are not stocking it anymore.

At just turned 3, she now rides a pedal bike (by herself, no training wheels). Admittedly DH has taken the kids out on bikes a LOT and we live by the bike path.

At that age, you want 10-inch wheels. People will say 'oh they grow out of it too quickly' and tell you to get 15-inch, but don't, it's better to let them learn as easily as you can then pass the bike on to another child than have one sitting in the shed unused (ask me how I know).  Our 3rd is about to start using it soon.

Definitely need a helmet.  Knee pads optional but I wouldn't wear shorts until you see how well they usually do.

#10 Lou-bags

Posted 23 November 2016 - 08:46 PM

DS was 2 when he got his. Loved it at first then it got a break when he got a lovely trike for Xmas from my parents and a scooter from Santa. He took it up again after a few months and loved/loves it now (though not quite as much as his two wheel scooter).

We bought a Giant one.

We don't make him wear a helmet unless we take it to the park, where he builds up significant speed. I agree with PP that a quality helmet is worth it for fit and ease of adjustment.

#11 Bereckii

Posted 23 November 2016 - 09:44 PM

DS rode his kmart balance bike *hard* from ages 2yrs-4yrs. it's done a *lot* of kms and he still loves riding it at the skateboard park. Like pp's experience, soon after turning 4 he got on a pedal bike for the first time and was riding unassisted (no trainers) immediately.

It's pretty light and is still good enough to hand down to his sister.

Kmart balance bike: https://encrypted-tb...FWJidzT0Da3snIH

He did not use knee pads - just a helmet. And I tried to insist on good shoes and long pants when starting out.

#12 mandala

Posted 24 November 2016 - 06:37 PM

Another one who has a Firstbike - highly recommended. The cheap ones are false economy in my opinion. You want one that is easy to ride so they get into it more. Same with a bike shop helmet - for not much more, they are a million times better.

Firstbike were also the lowest, which was great for my short DS1.

#13 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 24 November 2016 - 08:14 PM

So reccomend Cruzee balance bikes. Yes expensive, but only weigh 1.5kgs so when they don't want to ride anymore, it's light enough to carry. Also very adjustable with both seat and handlebars adjusting. You can see on Youtube 5 year olds using it on  BMX track or at a skateboard park.

My DS 3 years loves it. We started with the fat wheeled plastic Eurotrike TCV but when he started doing kms on it and it got too small we upgraded him to the Cruzee.

#14 tashalee21

Posted 24 November 2016 - 08:27 PM

We have this one for DD https://toptoy.com.a...BRIUaAvJL8P8HAQ

Haven't used it in 'normal' bike mode yet.  But she loves it and scoots around no problems with the trike mode

#15 tarrie cat

Posted 24 November 2016 - 08:31 PM

We just bought a wishbone 3-in-1 for our 18mth old daughter's xmas present :) She'll start on it in trike mode and in about a year, we'll turn it into a two-wheeler. Not cheap but it should last until she's around five or decides she wants a bike with pedals.

Most kids who start on runbikes tend to skip training wheels on their bikes all together. Runbikes teach kids how to handle a bike which is more important then learning how to pedal. (Plus I've known a few kids who could get up to a rather rapid rate of knots just toddling along so not having pedals is probably a good thing!)

And yes, you should absolutely buy a helmet from a bike shop. I've never been into a bike shop where I haven't been able to try the helmet on before buying it and have had someone who knows what they're doing look at how it fits. Kids on trikes/run bikes/bikes/scooters are what helmets are designed for. The whole tumble over while stationary or at low speed is what kids are great at and a helmet will definitely protect their noggins.

Elbow and knee pads would be at your discretion. I guess it would depend on how clumsy your kid is. If you're really worried about, go for it. I'd definitely be trying to cover up their knees though with some tough pants.

#16 ACT mum

Posted 24 November 2016 - 09:29 PM

I can attest to the wishbone bike. We got one for firstborn when he was 18 months and he took tomit like a duck to water. It turns into a two wheel bike and the seat can raise, so it lasts to about 4 years old.

It's pricey but so worth it.... will be used soon for child number three.

#17 Kabu84

Posted 24 November 2016 - 09:36 PM

Oh this was very timely for me as I was just browsing the wishbone trike online! Can anyone tell me where is a good place to buy it from?

#18 Prancer is coming

Posted 24 November 2016 - 09:49 PM

View PostWolf87, on 23 November 2016 - 07:05 PM, said:

Ahh cool, you mean the ones that look more like proper bikes are better? I'll definitely be buying in store to make sure it's the right size etc.
Also not sure on protective gear, it's not like she'll be going that fast!

Yeah I think helmet might be enough?

Just you wait, she may turn into a speed demon!  My lad likes to go down hills on his, or even more terrifying for mum to watch, he likes the ramps at the skate park.  Helmet is a must.  You don't want head injuries!  It also starts the pattern early of putting on a helmet as soon as you ride a bike.  I don't use any other protective gear.

We have a mocka and I would not recommend it as it broke  when DS fell off it.  The broken part did get replaced (eventually, after a strongly worded letter assisted by the ACCC as I was really annoyed that they said we must have done something else to the bike for the damage to occur when the only thing that happened was DS had a small stack, which you would expect a 2 year old to have) and I must admit that since repair, it has been going well for almost 2 years now.

Edited by Spa Gonk, 24 November 2016 - 09:50 PM.

#19 EmmDasher

Posted 24 November 2016 - 10:08 PM

We got a Strider bike for DD's second birthday. It's the perfect size, light and maneuverable but she's just not into it. I wish we'd got a scooter at that age and kept the bike for her 3rd birthday. I actually think she'd be far more interested in a traditional trike with pedals. She just doesn't get the balance bike. So I'd highly recommend the Strider if you think you're kid would be into it.

#20 Silver Girl

Posted 24 November 2016 - 10:43 PM

The hard part of learning to ride a bike is the balancing, not pedalling.

DS started with a Byk bike with the pedals taken off (the bike shop did it for us). When he'd got the hang of riding it, the shop put the pedals on and off he went. No need for training wheels.

Agree with PPs that a helmet from the cycle shop is a must. Safety first. (We never had knee pads etc.)

#21 Kdds

Posted 10 December 2016 - 02:22 PM

View PostWolf87, on 23 November 2016 - 06:50 PM, said:

Thinking of getting one for my 18 month old. Worth it? Is it advised to get helmet, knee pads etc?

Hi

Helmet is a must in my opinion. I bought the NUTCASE Little Nutty helmet for my 2 1/2 yrs old. It has an anti pinch magnetic buckle, lightweight and easy to adjust.

They have a smaller version for 3 years and below called NUTCASE Baby Nutty helmet, only weighs 280 grams.

We also bought the MICRO knee & elbow pads for my daughter. She wears it everytime she rides her scooter.

In regards with the balance bike, I think it's worth it. We are getting one for my daughter this christmas, just couldn't decide between Firstbike and Cruzee balance bike. They are both awesome I think.

Has anyone have an experience with any of these bikes?

Thanks in advance!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.