Weight loss after - not fluid, but fat!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LittleRunner

Posted 27 November 2016 - 09:02 AM

So I know there are a million threads on weight loss, so apologies if this seems the same.

When I read so many of them, everyone talks about it a whole and it seems to reflected in the fluid loss.

So..I'm curious for those who know they put on fat (my hand is high up in the air for this one), how did you go about losing it? Did it come off by itself, did you have to exercise? How long did it take you?

Everyone keeps saying it's fluid, which is the polite thing I think everyone says, but my hips,  butt and thighs are very pudgy (aka huge) and I know there's no fluid in them (although I truely wish there was!!).

Anyone?

#2 Furfeathersfleece

Posted 27 November 2016 - 09:28 AM

I put on proper weight, fat, with each pregnancy. I'm left with a good 10kg to lose after the extra fluid etc is accounted for.

A few weeks after birth I start calorie counting and healthy eating. I took into account the calories required for Breastfeeding.

After the first one I lost all the weight and then some (got to my target weight) in 12 months. After the second I was still 5kg over but lost my motivation.

I tried to go walking when I could, but didn't do any extreme exercise. For me the key was monitoring my food intake.

#3 Dee616

Posted 27 November 2016 - 11:01 AM

I gained 18 kgs with my first. The day after giving birth 8 of those were gone so fluid and baby (was 3.4kgs).

I went on to lose 30 kgs in the 8 months after having bub. :)

#4 SplashingRainbows

Posted 27 November 2016 - 11:20 AM

Watching food portions and fairly intensive excercise for me I'm afraid. High intensity interval training seems to be essential for me to shifting anything. That and watching what I eat like a hawk.

#5 Soontobegran

Posted 27 November 2016 - 11:31 AM

The fluid element of pregnancy weight gain is generally lost within the first week to ten days post delivery.
People tell you it's fluid to make you feel better but what is left is the fat that women are supposed to put on in pregnancy.

Please do not stress though, weight loss differs from person to person, you have more important things to worry about than how quickly you regain your pre pregnancy weight.

Hollywood makes it hard.....so many of those women start starving and exercising under the guidance of a trainer....it's not normal to look like you did before your pregnancy within a month.

Take it easy.

#6 mandala

Posted 27 November 2016 - 11:34 AM

It varies so much from person to person. Mine went relatively quickly without doing anything in particular, but others will have to be very strict with eating and ramp the exercise right up. There's also a connection with breastfeeding for some people - they can't lose the weight until they stop BFing. Others of course lose it all and then some while BFing.

For me, I'd lost it by about 6 months each time. The absolute key was getting enough sleep, but I also found that preparing and cleaning up after meals for DS was pretty off putting so I didn't eat as much. Being at home bored and tired was when I'd eat lots of junk.

#7 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 27 November 2016 - 12:13 PM

I gained just a little while pregnant. Most of my weight gain was baby. But both times I gained a lot post birth while breastfeeding. More than while pregnant.

I stopped gaining once I stopped breastfeeding. And it's slowly coming off when I eat healthily now, a year later.

So, be warned, it might take you a long time to lose the weight, so try not to worry about it, take your time.

#8 libbylu

Posted 27 November 2016 - 11:48 PM

I put on lots of actual weight with both pregnancies too but had two very different experiences losing it...
Pregnancy 1: at age 30: Three days of labour followed by emergency c-section. I was so messed up I barely ate for a week and then my huge baby was so hungry he ate like a maniac and barely slept and the weight fell off me so that I was almost down to my prebaby weight in two weeks. I was always hungry but never had time to eat properly. He was a really difficult fussy baby and by the time he was 6 months I was several kilos lighter than I had been before pregnancy. I was constantly lugging his great weight around in a sling and bouncing him to sleep while others were having meals. I would not recommend this though - it was a very tough time and I barely got through it.
Pregnancy 2: At age 36. Easy quick natural delivery. Easy happy baby. Would fall asleep on his own in his basinette etc. I had plenty of time for eating and was much less active. I never lost the weight and actually put more on. Now almost 4 years later I am probably 10kg heavier than before my second pregnancy! I think that is age as well though. The older you get, the easier you stack it on!

Edited by libbylu, 27 November 2016 - 11:50 PM.

#9 smmaho

Posted 05 December 2016 - 07:28 PM

I'm 8 weeks post partum and I weigh 12kg more then I did pre pregnancy :(

I know that for me in the past the only way I lose weight is eating a balanced diet (I don't starve myself and if I'm out and want cake I eat cake...but not everyday) and the most important part for me seems to be cardio.

I've only just started exercising again and have start d with walking on an incline on th treadmill and walking with the pram around the neighbourhood. I hope in a couple of months I will be ready to start running again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.