Hiding pregnancy until ready (2nd trimester)

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 *Jasmine*

Posted 01 December 2016 - 12:36 PM

How do you do it?! With my pregnancy 11 years ago I wasn't in the early stages at Christmas so everyone knew by that point and it never came up with any awkward share platters or whatnot.

I am so stressed out that my work is organising the yearly Christmas share a plate. It's not something that can be skipped in a small office because people will notice.

What do I say if there's only non-pregnancy friendly food served?!

Alcohol I'm fine with I just say I'm designated driver and caffeine I just said I'm avoiding it to help me sleep.

How do you hide it at this stupid time of year!!!??!!!

#2 Caribou

Posted 01 December 2016 - 12:40 PM

Call in sick!

#3 *Jasmine*

Posted 01 December 2016 - 12:41 PM

Unfortunately it's twice a week and I work part-time LOL

#4 Beanette

Posted 01 December 2016 - 12:42 PM

If it's a share plate party, could you bring a plate that only has things that you can eat? And maybe a big bag of chips or crackers too? Then you could look like you were eating lots, without having to eat anything risky

#5 Lou-bags

Posted 01 December 2016 - 12:44 PM

Not my DIG so I hope you don't mind me interloping...

Could you concoct some odd diet that you're on? Say you're being 'good' until xmas day so you can indulge on the day?

Otherwise, put the food on your plate and then just only eat the safe stuff and dispose of the rest when you're not being watched?

#6 *Jasmine*

Posted 01 December 2016 - 12:44 PM

That would be ideal beanette but we take turns so one person brings food in at a time so if they only bring in cold meat and cold cheese for example I'm screwed.

This is so tough at this time of year! I'm literally 12 weeks at Christmas so the lead up is hell

Edited by *Jasmine*, 01 December 2016 - 12:44 PM.

#7 HRH Countrymel

Posted 01 December 2016 - 12:45 PM

I'd be feeling 'a bit delicate' on the day, say, "I wasn't at all well last night, so I'm just going to sip on this water for safety's sake.."

If they try and press you for details?  Say "You DO NOT want to hear the details I can assure you.. I'm happy with my water right now!"

#8 *Jasmine*

Posted 01 December 2016 - 12:47 PM

It might have to be something like that loubags. Maybe I'll fill up on crackers and just pretend to eat cheese etc then cleanup by putting it back in the fridge.

It's just so stressful! Hard enough to not accidentally let slip. And the woman I jobshare with is going on a big holiday right before I'm due and keeps talking of delaying it.

Wish I could just stay home for the first trimester lol

#9 Future-self

Posted 01 December 2016 - 12:59 PM

Just eat beforehand and load up your plate with stuff and then dispose of what you couldn't eat. I was early pregnancy with DD during this time too and it got tricky but I just became really good at moving around the room and hiding things under scrunched up napkins!

#10 Fossy

Posted 01 December 2016 - 01:05 PM

I'd just take a couple of things you can eat, no one will be watching closely what you eat.  Fruit and veg plate, crackers/breads and dip, take some cheese and include a hard one you can eat? Chips and salsa? Or something sweet, sweet biscuits, a slice or cake, even take some candy canes and just suck on one the whole time?

#11 Gudrun

Posted 01 December 2016 - 01:41 PM

Deflect with, 'Do you always watch what other people are eating or not eating?   I never do.'   And keep waffling on...   then, 'These are nice. Have you tried one of these?'  Pass a plate. To them:  'Not pregnant are you?' etc.  'Food intolerance?  I heard recently that Australia is the allergy capital of the world...'   And some more waffle.  'What do you reckon is in these?'  Then more waffle again.   Enjoy the bantering!

People of my generation probably wouldn't even know what pregnant women don't eat.  I wouldn't have a clue.  

Just go prepared to talk rather than eat.  Or just close it down with 'I'm Xmas pacing.'

But beware of the people who can tell you are pregnant from your radiance alone:)

#12 paddington_

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:09 AM

Do people really pay that much attention to what people are or aren't eating? ?

Just take something you can eat and eat that.

#13 born.a.girl

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:33 AM

I actually don't think anyone will notice, unless they suspect you are pregnant and are sticky beak enough to watch closely to see if you do or don't eat/drink certain things.  Otherwise, people are as absorbed in their own world and lives as you are in yours.  I remember once you know you're pregnant, you feel like it's up there in flashing lights on your forehead, but it's not, really.

Not sure what the problem is with 'cold meat' although I understand with manufactured meat. They pretty much all have preservatives which affects me, so I don't eat that.  You could just start up about it affecting you and change the subject to the asthma storm in Melbourne recently.

Hard to imagine someone only bringing soft cheeses given lots of people only eat hard cheese. There's an article in The Age on cheese that you could use to detract from what YOU are eating.

Otherwise, if all else fails, just put some on your plate then mingle!

#14 *Jasmine*

Posted 02 December 2016 - 09:32 AM

I just got a message from one of the people attending our work Christmas dinner saying she's just found out she's pregnant and can I let the venue know the special dietary requirements!

Ironically, I had to organise the dinner and can't go because there was only one main that was appropriate - everything else was undercooked meat/cured/soft cheese or pudding type desserts!!

Unfortunately, yes, my colleagues are all women and all on diets and obsessed with food. The good news is one is planning on having a baby very soon so she sort of deflects the attention from me at the moment and people always ask if she's pregnant and not me *phew*

#15 kittn

Posted 02 December 2016 - 02:34 PM

So it's my birthday today, and my ever helpful mother (I love her, I really do, but sometimes... :annoyed:) has posted on my public Facebook timeline along with all the other birthday messages, "where has the time gone, blah blah blah... have a nice day, put your feet up and have an elderflower champagne to celebrate."
Anyone who knows me, i.e. anyone on my Facebook, knows that normally I would take my birthday as an opportunity to drink REAL champagne and not a small quantity of it, either.
She's effectively announced to all of my friends and family that I'm up the duff and I had NO intention of telling anyone yet. At least not until after the Harmony results come back clear, which probably won't be until after Christmas.
Referencing a non-alcoholic drink is a freaking massive clue especially to some very savvy girlfriends who are (with love in their hearts of course) going to twig very quickly.

Thanks Mum. :rant:

#16 Froyohoho

Posted 02 December 2016 - 04:26 PM

Cold cheese is only a problem if it's soft cheese. Regular tasty etc is fine.

#17 Froyohoho

Posted 02 December 2016 - 04:29 PM

kittn can you just hide the post from everyone but her?

#18 greenthumbs

Posted 02 December 2016 - 04:42 PM

Seriously, having been in the early stages of pregnancy over christmas twice now, no one cares. They really don't notice what anyone is eating. Like born.a.girl said upthread, everyone else is in their own world, they are not paying attention.

My first pregnancy, after announcing, I was all like "didn't you notice I had not prawns or ham at christmas, I thought it was a dead give away" nope, no one had a clue.

#19 JoanFontaine

Posted 02 December 2016 - 05:09 PM

No. one. Cares.

#20 born.a.girl

Posted 02 December 2016 - 06:22 PM

One main course is all you need.   Isn't that what most people eat each evening anyway?

Make sure you go out and enjoy yourself while you're pregnant - there'll be a lot less of that in several months.

I'm curious about what's wrong with pudding????

#21 *Jasmine*

Posted 02 December 2016 - 06:57 PM

raw egg. I'm at home in my dressing gown, tonight would have been way too stressful. The restaurant confirmed the food wasn't pregnancy friendly and the other pregnant woman would have to speak with them.

I've never known anyone to only eat a main in a three course meal. Maybe I only hang out with big eaters but I can't imagine turning down an entree and dessert. That would be upsetting lol

#22 marple

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:06 PM

What kind of pudding has raw egg? I think of cooked cake type puddings.

#23 Jingleflea

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:10 PM

Chocolate mousse has raw egg in it.

#24 marple

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:38 PM

True. I guess I don't call that pudding. I know the pommies do though. :)

#25 Froyohoho

Posted 02 December 2016 - 07:49 PM

Same here Marple.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.