Purple hands and feet

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 VVV

Posted 21 December 2016 - 06:46 PM

My DD is 7.5 months old and I have noticed that her hands and or feet can sporadically turn purpley blue when not cold. It happened again today - she had been in her pram for about 45 minutes (feet were normal colour) then my friend picked her up and was holding her around her belly, I noticed then that her feet had turned purple and went back to normal about 10 minutes later.

I have noticed purple hands and or feet maybe 5 times over the last couple of months and I am really starting to feel concerned now. I recall it happening once when I took her out of her cot. Could it be her heart?

I plan to have her checked by her pediatrician but his office is closed until the New Year. Has anyone had any similar experiences? Her scans on her heart/organs when she was in the womb were all normal.

:(

#2 Riotproof

Posted 21 December 2016 - 07:06 PM

Are you overseas? It is an option to see another dr? A week or two might not be a problem assuming you can get an appointment easily.

I don't want to scare you, but I think it needs immediate attention. Hopefully, it is nothing.

#3 Lady Gray

Posted 21 December 2016 - 07:06 PM

My girl gets purple legs when she stands for a while.  I actually asked the GP about it on Monday and she checked her over and said that it is only a concern if the purple limb is cold.  In my kiddo's case it likely happens because the muscles are working hard whilst she standing.

My husband also did some googling and it is relatively common and according to him only a problem if it is their whole body turning purple (please take that with a grain of salt tho).

Worth checking out if you are worried.

#4 VVV

Posted 21 December 2016 - 07:25 PM

Grinchproof, on 21 December 2016 - 07:06 PM, said:

Are you overseas? It is an option to see another dr? A week or two might not be a problem assuming you can get an appointment easily.

I don't want to scare you, but I think it needs immediate attention. Hopefully, it is nothing.

No, not overseas. I wouldn't know who to see in the absence of her pediatrician? I find GP's in my area a bit useless when it comes to anything out of the ordinary. Now I really feel worried.

Lady Gray, on 21 December 2016 - 07:06 PM, said:

My girl gets purple legs when she stands for a while.  I actually asked the GP about it on Monday and she checked her over and said that it is only a concern if the purple limb is cold.  In my kiddo's case it likely happens because the muscles are working hard whilst she standing.

My husband also did some googling and it is relatively common and according to him only a problem if it is their whole body turning purple (please take that with a grain of salt tho).

Worth checking out if you are worried.

Limbs aren't cold and it's only ever the hands and feet - no other part of her body. Thanks for the additional info.

#5 Riotproof

Posted 21 December 2016 - 07:28 PM

I see. It's probably worth trying to get a recommendation for a GP.

#6 Lady Gray

Posted 21 December 2016 - 07:31 PM

Can I suggest you take a picture next time it happpens because you can guarantee that if you end up at the pediatrician her hands and feet will be their normal colour.  

Are you on FB?  One group for mums regularly gets asked for pediatrician recommendations.  I can suggest a couple if you're in Sydney.

#7 Lady Gray

Posted 21 December 2016 - 07:33 PM

ps I know this is a webmd article but a quick google search gave me similar advice:  http://www.webmd.com...-skin-in-babies

"Tips for Concerned Parents

If you are concerned about a blue tinge to your baby's skin, check his entire body. An off-and-on blue cast to the hands and feet, with pink skin elsewhere, is not a sign of a problem, but rather just a little bit of immaturity of the circulatory system, which will go away over time."

#8 VVV

Posted 21 December 2016 - 07:39 PM

I'm in Adelaide, not Sydney. Thanks for your advice ladies xx

#9 AliasMater

Posted 21 December 2016 - 07:49 PM

Don't take medical advice from EB'ers, and don't assume that it is normal. Go and see a GP and get medical advice. In the very least they can look her over, listen to her chest, do a pulse oximetry, and give you a referral if need be.

#10 VVV

Posted 21 December 2016 - 08:02 PM

B.feral3, on 21 December 2016 - 07:49 PM, said:

Don't take medical advice from EB'ers, and don't assume that it is normal. Go and see a GP and get medical advice. In the very least they can look her over, listen to her chest, do a pulse oximetry, and give you a referral if need be.

pulse oximetry - is this the clip on the finger that measures oxygen levels? She has had several of these over the last few months (due to colds/bronchiolitis) and they always come back with really high saturation levels.

#11 Tender Heart

Posted 21 December 2016 - 08:12 PM

I'm not about to give any advice (and don't have any for your situation anyway), but perhaps give Health Direct a ring if you're worried.

#12 greenthumbs

Posted 21 December 2016 - 08:20 PM

I think I'd still rather see a 'useless' random GP over getting advice online.

Just go to a medical centre/clinic and see someone, it may at least put your mind at ease until you can see your paed.

#13 Soontobegran

Posted 21 December 2016 - 08:24 PM

OP get a recommendation for a good GP and go and discuss this with them.
As PP has said a photos is good. You do not need to wait until your paediatrician gets back in the new year.

Lady Gray, on 21 December 2016 - 07:33 PM, said:

ps I know this is a webmd article but a quick google search gave me similar advice:  http://www.webmd.com...-skin-in-babies

"Tips for Concerned Parents

If you are concerned about a blue tinge to your baby's skin, check his entire body. An off-and-on blue cast to the hands and feet, with pink skin elsewhere, is not a sign of a problem, but rather just a little bit of immaturity of the circulatory system, which will go away over time."

This true for neonates.
The OP's baby is 7.5 months old.

#14 Motheringjoy

Posted 21 December 2016 - 08:28 PM

Get it checked out. This was one of my babies symptoms when he had a heart defects. Heart Defects are not always picked up in womb. But there were other symptoms such as low weight gain and more sleepy. If baby generally well it could wait a few weeks and not urgent.

Edited by Motheringjoy, 21 December 2016 - 08:29 PM.

#15 VVV

Posted 23 December 2016 - 01:51 PM

Update - went to the GP today and he listened to her heart and lungs which were ok. He wants us to look at her chest next time it happens to see if she is sucking in for air. He has referred us onto the pediatrician for further investigation.

It hasn't happened since. I feel like it's related to a change in position as it seems to have happened when she goes from sitting for a long time to being held upright.

#16 Clarabella

Posted 23 December 2016 - 02:23 PM

I think it's great you're getting it checked out. DD2 had purplish feet and hands on and off until about 6 months or so. Her circulation seemed to respond quite dramatically to position/pain/temperature - she scared us a few times by losing all colour for example when repositioned after being held for a nap. These colour changes have settled down as she's gotten older and I suspect they were due to an immature circulatory system.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.