Reading Challenge 2017

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
600 replies to this topic

#26 cardamom

Posted 29 December 2016 - 08:57 PM

Updating with my goal - I think my target for the year will be 35, including some re-reads. I'd like to read at least 26 new books :)

#27 GlitterFarts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 12:30 AM

Im opposite in that if Im reading too much, my depression is growing as I use it to hide away. That said, I tend to read multi chapter fanfics (30k words or more) more than physical books so my goal will be 20 actual touch paper books. I'm not going to include my fanfics or I'll be looking at 200+.

So - 20 actual books for me

#28 seayork2002

Posted 30 December 2016 - 12:35 AM

I will try for 52. I drop DS off early to OOSH/BA and take myself to a cafe for breakfast most mornings so get a bit done then

#29 jojonbeanie

Posted 30 December 2016 - 12:58 AM

I'm going for 52. I didn't reach anywhere near that this year but I read some terrific books along the way so I'm counting it as a win.

#30 monet

Posted 30 December 2016 - 09:01 AM

I'll join again this year.  55 books is my goal.

#31 sueratbag

Posted 30 December 2016 - 09:19 AM

I'll go for 30 new. I'll count re-reads separately.

#32 RocktonResident

Posted 30 December 2016 - 09:27 AM

Hmmm, this year my goal was 50. I smashed that, ending on 97. So this year I might aim for 75. I'm tempted to go 100, but realistically I don't think I would make it.

#33 Straight*No*Chaser

Posted 30 December 2016 - 04:33 PM

I'm in again! I read some great books this year that were recommended here. I'm going to aim for 30 again. I only made it to 26 this year, so a couple short but not way off target!

#34 Astrocyte

Posted 30 December 2016 - 04:55 PM

View PostMagi Ianthe, on 28 December 2016 - 10:16 AM, said:

I have always read. In fact not reading anymore than a few days in a row is a sign to me that my mental health is declining.

This is me as well. Last year I only read 14 books because my mental health was so terrible; couldn't focus, no energy, isolated from everything and everyone, no interest, no joy, totally miserable and anxious. This year I have read 47 and I noticed that the months I only read 1 or 2 books were the months I struggled the most mental health wise. When I'm feeling good I can easily read 5+ books a month. Going more a few days without reading is a sign for me that I need to examine whats going on and have a chat with my psychiatrist.

#35 BeAwesome

Posted 30 December 2016 - 05:39 PM

2016 was the first year I hit my goal of 50, so I'm going to keep my goal at 50 for 2017 as well.

Edited by Holly-Days, 30 December 2016 - 05:39 PM.

#36 Toomanybooks

Posted 31 December 2016 - 01:59 PM

My goal last year was 100 and I read 162. I'd never counted up before how many books I read. This year my goal will be 150 which seems about right.

#37 ~strawberry~

Posted 31 December 2016 - 03:56 PM

Last year I read 27 books then this year I got to 63.

I think for 2017 I'll aim for somewhere in between and go with 52.

#38 Ianthe

Posted 31 December 2016 - 05:00 PM

Anyone have books lined up to read they'd like to share?

I raided my SIL's bookcase on Boxing Day so from here I have:-

Children of England by Alison Weir (about Henry VIII's children)
The Hammer of the Scots by Jean Plaidy-novel of Edward I
Jane Austen by Helen LeFroy-biography
The Story of England by Michael Wood

And I got a voucher for Christmas for QBD so this afternoon bought four books for under $27.

The Fires of Autumn by Irene Nemirovsky
A Banquet of Consequences by Elizabeth George
A Fort of Nine Towers by Qais Akbar Omar
Shakespeare and the Countess by Chris Laoutaris

I need to go through my kindle too and see what I have sitting on there.

#39 Ianthe

Posted 31 December 2016 - 05:03 PM

Oh if anyone has a QBD near them, my one had two copies of Chocolat by Joanne Harris for $5. One of my all time favourite books which is a joy to read.

#40 Ianthe

Posted 31 December 2016 - 11:05 PM

Hunted down my kindle and have downloaded a few and reminded myself of some others. On that list is:-

The Ladies Lindore by Mrs Oliphant
He Natural Way if Things by Charlotte Wood
Canvey Island by James Runcie
The Beekeepers Secret by Josephine Moon
Burial Rites by Hannah Kent
The Improbability of Love by Hannah Rothschild
A Quiet Life in the Country by T E Kinsey
Nijinsky A Life by Lucy Moore
A Case of Blackmail in Belgravia by Clara Benson
The Woman on the Orient Express by Lindsay Jane Ashford
The Railway Detective by Edward Marston

All bought for a grand total of under $35

#41 gabbigirl

Posted 01 January 2017 - 07:14 AM

Can i join pls? I was an avid book reader but. Ow I spend most of my time on the internet! It's. Bad habit that I need to break!
I'll aim for one book a fortnight.
To help me on my way...
When do people read? How do you limit internet use? Any other tips would be appreciated thank you

#42 Psiren

Posted 01 January 2017 - 07:25 AM

Can I join too? I had quite a difficult year and like some PPs, realised that when I was really struggling, I wasn't reading or listening to music. We went away between Christmas Eve & New Year's Eve & I read four books in that week - it was wonderful! Between full time work, two kids & study, I think I could realistically read 75 books.

My 'to read' pile currently includes:
Tracks - Robyn Davidson
My Brilliant Friend - Elena Ferrante
A Doll's House - Henrik Ibsen
Portable Curiosities - Julie Koh
The Good People - Hannah Kent

#43 greenthumbs

Posted 01 January 2017 - 07:50 AM

View Postgabbigirl, on 01 January 2017 - 07:14 AM, said:

When do people read? How do you limit internet use? Any other tips would be appreciated thank you

I usually read at night after the kids are asleep. I try to carry my book with me if I'm doing anything on my own, so perhaps the doctors waiting room. I have been known to sit in maccas carpark in the car with a softserve and my book after doing the groceries as a way to get 15 uninterrupted mins to myself.

Otherwise, it's mainly in the evening. If we're just flicking channels, I try to push myself to just go to bed early and read. I have to consciously put down the phone and laptop and tell myself that one more level of candy crush is not life changing, whereas reading can be. Now, I read first, then have a couple of games of whatever, then sleep.

Also, both my kids want me next to them whilst they go to sleep, so seeing as they insist on the light on, I have started using that time to read as well.

Very rarely, when the kids are playing outside, I will sit on the deck and read.

#44 greenthumbs

Posted 01 January 2017 - 07:59 AM

My goal is 20.

A lot more than last years 6, but I ended up with 28, so with the other things I want to work on this year (more hobby time, decluttering etc) I think this should be doable.

Ianthe - I've got a huge list of 'want to reads' on goodreads (124 and growing), but the main ones over the next few weeks are gifts from birthday/xmas.

Latest Patricia Cornwell. I stopped reading her years ago when it all got too painfully formulaic, but DP gave me her latest so I think I'll give it a go. I usually won't read a book out of order in a series, but I've decided to let it go and just skip to this latest one.

I will borrow and read the sequel to me before you, After You I think it is.

And the one I start today, so excited! is Matthew Reilly's latest - The Four Legendary Kingdoms.

#45 cardamom

Posted 01 January 2017 - 09:02 AM

View PostMagi Ianthe, on 31 December 2016 - 05:00 PM, said:

Anyone have books lined up to read they'd like to share?

I have an enormous number of books on my shelf that I've not yet read. I'm planning to start with:

The Red Tent
Burial Rites
Barracuda (started this last year but somehow didn't finish it, even though I was enjoying it)
The Dry
How We Fall
The Light Between Oceans
Everything We Keep (just bought this on Kindle for $2.25)
The Leaving of Things (ditto, $1.49)

I try to read every night before bed (doesn't always happen). I also read whenever it's convenient to have a distraction from boredom, so on public transport, waiting at the doctor's, etc. I always have a book in my handbag and in the glovebox of my car for this reason. Once I started doing this it became more habitual, and now in those kind of situations I'm more likely to reach for my book than my phone. This morning I woke up at 5.30 and couldn't sleep so rather than play on my phone as I normally would, I read until I was sleepy again.

I also read at the gym. I hate, hate, hate the gym, and reading while I'm there motivates me to go. I set aside a special 'gym book' that I'm only allowed to read at the gym, so if I want to read it, I have to go. Must be something highly readable otherwise it doesn't work ;) Usually trashy crime fic or a Liane Moriarty.

The key for me is getting absorbed in a really juicy book - if it's something I can't put down then I will also read on my lunch break at work, etc.

Could you try setting up a DEAR time for yourself? (Do kids still do that at school? Drop Everything And Read?) For example, every day at 8pm I will read for 20 minutes.

No tips re: the cutting back on internet use, I'm terrible for this also :( I waste SO much time on the computer, it's ridiculous. I need to set some screen time boundaries for myself.

Hope that helps.. Happy reading!

#46 PooksLikeChristmas

Posted 01 January 2017 - 09:10 AM

I'm going to start off easy with a copy of Like A Queen given to me for my birthday and Harry Potter & the cursed child downloaded on my phone. I have a few Pratchett books I have yet to read too.

#47 Lunagirl

Posted 01 January 2017 - 10:38 AM

My goal for 2016 was 100, and I ended up only reading 52.

But, I'm determined to get to 100 this year. I'll try to read more in the first few months of the year before I'm back at work.

Gabbigirl, I find the secret to reading more is to be mindful about what you're doing. How many times per day do you check your phone, or browse the internet and get caught up in forums? Or watch something on TV that you're not really interested in? This is all time you could be reading. The other secret to pick books that you really enjoy. Some 2016 books took me several weeks to finish, others I finished in a day or less. The ones I read quickly were ones I really enjoyed. I prioritised reading them over other activities, whereas if I wasn't enjoying a book then I put it aside and did other things.

I started last year with a Christmas present book that I didn't like, so fell behind immediately. To counteract that, I'm going to start with a book I know I love, Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone. (I do count re-reads in my total, though I haven't read this in years).

A subgoal is also to ensure I'm reading more widely. In 2016, I read slightly more men than women, half my books were by Americans and hardly any were by non-white writers. I'd like to read more women than men in 2017, at least one-third Australian authors and at least a quarter by non-white writers.

#48 Astrocyte

Posted 01 January 2017 - 10:59 AM

I read every evening for 1-2 hours. I also read on the train when I go to the city and when I go to the doctors; just whenever I am out and about and have an opportunity however small to read (always have two books on me). I also don't watch tv except for criminal minds which isn't on at the moment so theres no tv for me to limit. Apart from EB and some other sites I don't really go on the internet, but there will be days where I spend more time on the internet compared to reading a book.  I think it's about finding a balance in your life for all the things you are interested in.

My to-be-read pile includes
-The unseen world by Liz Moore
-Lily and the octopus by Steven Rowley
-The wise mans fear by Patrick Rothfuss
-A mango shaped space by Wendy Mass
-We are the ants by Shaun David Hutchinson
-All the ugly and wonderful things by Bryn Greenwood
-Amercianah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
-Under the udala trees by Chinelo Okparanta
-Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi
-The goldfinch by Donna Tartt

#49 Hands Up

Posted 01 January 2017 - 01:40 PM

#1 - The Woman on the Stairs by Bernhard Schlink.

I didn't enjoy it which was a bit disappointing as the reviews were good!

DH bought me My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante and Two Brothers by Ben Elton, for Christmas. So I'll be scouring this thread for recommendations once they are read :-)

#50 MrsLexiK

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:22 PM

I'm going to join the last book I read was the one that is being made into a Rv series with Teese Witherspoon and Nicole kidman. I'm currently reading we were on a break. It's the first book I've picked up this year to read. Which is bad considering my job and what my duties are! I have a pile of books on my night stand.

My aim is 24

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Google (1)

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.