Reading Challenge 2017

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
600 replies to this topic

#51 Burro

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:40 PM

Ok, I'm joining too. My goal is 20 which is quite ambitious for me. Like others i used to read loads and then I had a baby and an iPhone and I lost concentration.

Im reading fight like a girl by Clem ford. I need to finish it quickly and hand it back.

#52 Jane Jetson

Posted 01 January 2017 - 03:53 PM

Edited by Jane Jetson, 04 January 2017 - 10:39 AM.

#53 Nickers numbat

Posted 01 January 2017 - 04:32 PM

I'll join in as well. I read a lot but have no idea how many books I would normally read in a year. Aiming for one a week sounds reasonable so I'll go with 52.

#54 Missy D

Posted 01 January 2017 - 06:50 PM

Count me in. Just today I was dusting 5 unread books on my bedside table and decided that if I did not read by the end of the year, I'd get rid of them.

My goal is 24 (which may or may not include the chronic beside to be read pile!).

#55 RipeWickedPlum

Posted 01 January 2017 - 08:09 PM

View PostDeckTheFarts, on 30 December 2016 - 12:30 AM, said:

That said, I tend to read multi chapter fanfics (30k words or more) more than physical books so my goal will be 20 actual touch paper books. I'm not going to include my fanfics or I'll be looking at 200+.

So - 20 actual books for me

I read a hell of a lot of fanfics too! I'd be up to like 200+ if I added them all in! i have to force myself to read actual books sometimes!

I'm going to join again this year, I read 40 odd books last year, so I'm going to set my goal at 45. Hopefully I can smash it this year!

#56 GlitterFarts

Posted 01 January 2017 - 08:27 PM

View PostRipeWickedPlum, on 01 January 2017 - 08:09 PM, said:

I read a hell of a lot of fanfics too! I'd be up to like 200+ if I added them all in! i have to force myself to read actual books sometimes!

I know right? In just two days (Im on strike/bedrest) I have read 8 fanfics totalling approx 400k words yet Ive only read half of my current paperback.
I love fanfics because they are free, often better written than published books (looking at you 50SOG *vomit* ) and variety of writers, writers styles, themes, morals, thoughts, opinions, etc. I chuckled at one this morning that slagged off The Drumpf Boy in the author's notes    :lol: and another I loved was the aussie writer and the american comments that followed.

I have no interest in reading anything other than fluff, so my list isnt going to be of interest to anyone, so I probably not going to be here long I think :)

Edited by DeckTheFarts, 01 January 2017 - 08:28 PM.

#57 A NEW HOPE

Posted 01 January 2017 - 08:27 PM

I will join and aim for 52 at least. It is going to be hard to find something new to read as I am a bit fussy on what i read and enjoy and re read lots of old favs instead of going outside my comfort zone.

#58 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 01 January 2017 - 09:01 PM

Ianthe, do NOT read the incredibly brilliant Burial Rites if you are feeling depressed or stressed.  It is a harrowing book.

#59 cardamom

Posted 01 January 2017 - 09:03 PM

View PostAcidulous Osprey, on 01 January 2017 - 09:01 PM, said:

Ianthe, do NOT read the incredibly brilliant Burial Rites if you are feeling depressed or stressed.  It is a harrowing book.

Eep, thanks for the warning - that's good to know.

#60 lisacat

Posted 01 January 2017 - 09:59 PM

I will join as well. Like many I was an avid reader who has been lured by the internet over the past few years.

I will aim for 26 books or 1 per fortnight.

I am half way through the first Harry Potter book so will read this series and then move on to some suggestions from here.

Great idea ladies.

#61 Mumof32b!

Posted 02 January 2017 - 12:43 AM

I'm in I'll aim for 100. Finished first book today, Janet Evanovich's latest, whilst nursing monster hangover!

#62 cardamom

Posted 02 January 2017 - 08:10 AM

#1 - Friends Like Us, Sian O'Gorman.

Nice fluffy holiday read.

#63 Ianthe

Posted 02 January 2017 - 12:35 PM

#1 Children of England by Alison Weir

#64 Toomanybooks

Posted 02 January 2017 - 12:57 PM

1) The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry

I hope all the books I read this year are this good. It reminded me of the 19th century parts of Posession.

#65 Ianthe

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:13 PM

I've updated the OP with everyone's goals. Let me know if I have made any mistakes. We have 33 people so far with over 1700 books to be read.

#66 Ianthe

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:24 PM

cardamom I downloaded Everything We Keep and Leaving of Things just now for $1.62 and $1.07 respectively. Bargain!

Astrocyte-I loved Americanah.

AO-I thought it might be difficult. I will start it when I feel able. Last year pretty much all I read was English murder mysteries. Why murder is so comforting I don't know.

gabbigirl-I am not the person to ask about limiting computer use. I read at night before I go to sleep. Often longer than I should.

toomanybooks-I just downloaded that based on your recommendation, I loved Possession.

Edited by Magi Ianthe, 02 January 2017 - 01:25 PM.

#67 MrsLexiK

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:27 PM

1) - we were on a break by Lindsey kelk very fluff but easy to read

#68 Psiren

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:35 PM

#1 A Doll's House - Henrik Ibsen

#69 cardamom

Posted 02 January 2017 - 01:44 PM

View PostMagi Ianthe, on 02 January 2017 - 01:24 PM, said:

cardamom I downloaded Everything We Keep and Leaving of Things just now for $1.62 and $1.07 respectively. Bargain!

Dang it, I overpaid! :p

I also picked up The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society for $1.89, if that interests you.

(I swore I would never read that book, purely because I worked in a bookstore the Christmas it came out and every man and his dog wanted a copy. I used to open up carton after carton of the bleeding thing, the cover image was burned into my retinas! Same is true of The Elegance of the Hedgehog and Wolf Hall).

#70 Ianthe

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:17 PM

View PostPsiren, on 02 January 2017 - 01:35 PM, said:

#1 A Doll's House - Henrik Ibsen

Did you enjoy it? Probably my favourite play. Love Nora.

cardamom-I know! You could have done lots with all that you saved :lol:

I've read the potato book (can never remember title) and Elegance of the Hedgehog. Loved both. Currently watching Wolf Hall (have read the book).

My SIL had a Harry Potter hatred from working in a bookstore. I should ask her if she ever overcame it.

Edited by Magi Ianthe, 02 January 2017 - 02:19 PM.

#71 Psiren

Posted 02 January 2017 - 02:57 PM

View PostMagi Ianthe, on 02 January 2017 - 02:17 PM, said:

Did you enjoy it? Probably my favourite play. Love Nora.

I did! I'm directing it later this year so want to have lots of time to think & digest. I was really irritated by most of the characters till about halfway through, then it all became real for me. It's going to be heaps of fun to work on.

#72 PooksLikeChristmas

Posted 02 January 2017 - 03:00 PM

Just finished the cursed child. Well it's a start.

#73 crystalb

Posted 02 January 2017 - 06:28 PM

I'm in too please.  I will aim for 52 this year.  I'm a teacher so read heaps during the holidays but not so much time to read non-teaching books during the term.  

So far this year I've started with Young Adult Fiction recommended by Good Reads.

#1 - The Problem with Forever - by Jennifer Armentrout

#74 Ianthe

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:05 PM

#2 The Hammer of the Scots by Jean Plaidy-felt a but jumpy in parts but overall good.

Edited by Magi Ianthe, 03 January 2017 - 12:05 PM.

#75 Ianthe

Posted 03 January 2017 - 02:40 PM

#3 Jane Austen by Helen LeFroy-nothing new to me but would be a good introduction to Jane as it's only 100 pages.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.