Gastric sleeve questions

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 suzanne7

Posted 28 December 2016 - 04:59 PM

Hi! So I have been thinking about this for quite some time. Has anyone got recommendations for a surgeon in the Sydney region - preferably close to northern beaches/shore.

I have had a hysterectomy so I am in menopause. I am also have a mental illness and am on zyprexa. My bmi is 35.

Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated 😀

#2 ~river song~

Posted 28 December 2016 - 05:21 PM

edited by moderator at the O Clinic. They take a holistic approach and you see a surgeon, dietician, and psychologist

#3 Pink opal

Posted 28 December 2016 - 05:23 PM

I can recommend the Sydney Bariatric Clinic attached to Westmead Private, although it might be too far for you. Have a look though as I think some of the Doctors operate at different hospitals - not sure how far North.they have an interdisciplinary care model which sounds like it would suit you.

#4 Soontobegran

Posted 28 December 2016 - 05:31 PM

View Post~ river song ~, on 28 December 2016 - 05:21 PM, said:

edited by moderator at the O Clinic. They take a holistic approach and you see a surgeon, dietician, and psychologist

By holistic approach do you mean the 'virtual' gastric sleeve ?

#5 paddington_

Posted 28 December 2016 - 06:28 PM

The OClinic has great reviews.

Edited by paddington_, 28 December 2016 - 06:52 PM.

#6 Therese

Posted 28 December 2016 - 06:29 PM

Just a reminder that we cannot allow doctor recommendations on the boards. Feel free to use the pm system to discuss and recommend individual doctors.

I have done a small amount of editing.

Thanks for your understanding,

Therese

#7 Crazyhouseholdof6

Posted 28 December 2016 - 07:35 PM

I had this done four weeks ago. So far 20kg down from initial consult with surgeon but it's so much harder than I ever thought. The procedure really surprised me with the level of discomfort I had post op and the mind games now seem to be the worst. I hate leaving food on the plate but only being able to have about 6 tea spoons of foods a sitting was really depressing me. It is not something I would do again but being only four weeks post op I might change my mind when the tummy swelling goes down and I start feeling human again.

#8 Soontobegran

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:07 PM

View PostCrazyhouseholdof6, on 28 December 2016 - 07:35 PM, said:

I had this done four weeks ago. So far 20kg down from initial consult with surgeon but it's so much harder than I ever thought. The procedure really surprised me with the level of discomfort I had post op and the mind games now seem to be the worst. I hate leaving food on the plate but only being able to have about 6 tea spoons of foods a sitting was really depressing me. It is not something I would do again but being only four weeks post op I might change my mind when the tummy swelling goes down and I start feeling human again.

I have not had this surgery but have people very close to me who have.
What you are feeling right now is short lived, you will feel better about your surgery in the not too distant future and you will be very glad it's been done. Your relationship with food has changed, it takes time to undo years.
Make sure you take pain relief when you need it and call your doctor if you don't start feeling more comfortable soon.

#9 Barefoot

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:17 PM

I had the surgery 2.5 years ago. I used a doctor at Kogarah at Advanced Surgicare. The level of care is amazing and we'll worth the trip.
Even to the point where I attended one appointment after my Aunty had died and was in tears for the whole session,  the dr offered to talk to me whenever I needed.
I had very little pain after the surgery and was walking around the following morning.
The food restrictions are brutal to begin with but it does get easier. I still struggle sometimes if the food is very fatty or high in sugar content but since I tend to avoid those now anyway I'm pretty good.
My mantra for food now is eat the protein first, then the vegetables, then any carbs I can still fit in. (Which is often none).
I am much healthier now, my PCOS is less symptomatic now. I can buy clothes in a regular size and feel much more energetic (though in the early days this was not the case, I think I had about 3 months where I was very lethargic)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.