Does fertility always return at the same time pp?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 123Babies4Me

Posted 30 December 2016 - 09:02 PM

After #1 and #2 fertility returned at around 8/9 months pp whilst BFing (I fell pregnant with #3 the first time I ovulated....) Fertility returned after #3 at 13 months, but this was 6 weeks after I stopped taking the minipill (No contraception used after #1 and #2 born).

#4 is now 9.5 months old and BFing. I stopped taking the minipill mid last month (we are not TTC, using condoms) and am now waiting for AF to arrive. I thought it would have been here by now given my history.
Every day that goes past without it I start to worry that maybe I'm pg! I did do a pg test about a week ago which came up negative (although it turned out to be 6 months expired! But I really do not think I am pg).

Just wanted to hear stories about when fertility returned for others with several children.

#2 Lallalla

Posted 30 December 2016 - 10:33 PM

I've only had 2 pregnancies but no it was/is different with the 2 I've had. DD1 was only 4 months when it came back and DD2+3 are 7 months, still no sign. Breast fed/feeding both. Part of me assumes it's the extra milk I am making for twins keeping my hormones in check, the other part of me, like you, keeps getting paranoid I am pregnant and don't know it.

Edited by Lallalla, 30 December 2016 - 10:34 PM.

#3 123Babies4Me

Posted 31 December 2016 - 07:00 PM

Lallalla thanks for your reply, it got me thinking that maybe #4 is taking more milk than the others did and so thats stopping the hormones for the moment (she was my biggest by a long way at birth - 4.24kg while my others were 3.65, 3.79 and 3.89. I'm not sure how she compares for weight with them now though).

Anyone else? :-)

#4 lynneyours

Posted 31 December 2016 - 07:38 PM

AF returned for both mine at 5.5 months. I was surprised as both were fully breast fed and milk/boob fiends.

#5 omongomong

Posted 31 December 2016 - 08:24 PM

I think mine does - my period didn't return until 17 months and 19 months pp and I got pregnant while still breastfeeding both times. DS3 is only 4 months so I presume it will be a similar pattern.

Edited by omongomong, 31 December 2016 - 08:25 PM.

#6 Hands Up

Posted 31 December 2016 - 08:34 PM

Three months both times. I fell pregnant again when DS1 was five months old.

#7 DJandJ

Posted 31 December 2016 - 08:38 PM

My fertility was progressively later following each baby. Around 9 months, then 12 months then 18 months. All BF. Each baby was progressively heavier too.

#8 greenthumbs

Posted 31 December 2016 - 08:38 PM

15mths with DS1 and 4mths with DS2. Was expecting the same and was incredibly p*ssed off when I only got the 4mths!

Both exclusively breastfed, but DS2 did sleep for longer periods overnight which may have been the difference. And he was always a quicker feeder who didn't really comfort feed, whereas DS1 would feed for ages and just loved feeding.

#9 purplekitty

Posted 31 December 2016 - 08:55 PM

10 weeks for both of mine.
I was robbed.

#10 Blue Shoe

Posted 31 December 2016 - 09:01 PM

First preg I think it was at about 9 months pp, bf til 2 yo. Second time, I'm at the 12 month mark, still bf, no sign of AF so far. (Not complaining!) Second baby significantly bigger than first, but feeding patterns about the same.

#11 lazycritter

Posted 31 December 2016 - 11:41 PM

8 weeks after my first.

My ds was soley breastfed too.  
I wasn't happy.

My next was also 8 wks. I had put her on the bottle at 6wk though.

Third was most like 10 wks I think?  I was combination feeding... formula and breastfeeding.

So yeah similar.

#12 SplashingRainbows

Posted 01 January 2017 - 11:48 AM

Way earlier for my second - but she was sleeping long stretches at night and I think that's the most relevant thing with bf personally. She was a very similar size to her brother, and fully bf, just more in the day and less at night.

Don't discount age being a factor either OP. I presume you're a fair bit older after the third baby than the first.

#13 123Babies4Me

Posted 01 January 2017 - 12:23 PM

SplashingRainbows - good point! #1 was born when I was 27 and I'm now 34, so a big difference there :-)

The nighttime thing is interesting though. #1 was an ok night sleeper, but #2 was terrible and fertility still returned at roughly the same time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.