Due In Sept 17 Chat Thread

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
319 replies to this topic

#301 Crombek

Posted 06 February 2017 - 08:51 PM

It's still best practice to have the combined NT & bloods even if your having the NIPT because they look at slightly different things. And the 12 week scan gets combined with the blood work.

#302 ThirdTimesACharm

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:02 PM

TheatricalLady - wonderful news, so glad your scan went well!

Daffy2016 - I'm exhausted which isn't good because I'm struggling to keep on top of everything. Hopefully it ends after the first trimester!

Lefloof - My partner won't let me carry the shopping or even water the garden at the moment, secretly enjoying the special treatment haha :lol: Glad you are feeling well and getting plenty of rest, we sure need that!

#303 Daffy2016

Posted 06 February 2017 - 09:12 PM

Zonnewigham - could you talk to your GP about options? Mine was very helpful, but I'm going public so I basically turn up and get whoever's on duty! I am on a waiting list for a public midwife continuity of care program though, which means I would have the same one for everything. No idea how it works with private or an obstetrician though.

It's so hard not being able to talk to friends, isn't it?

#304 NoRest4TheWicked

Posted 07 February 2017 - 06:55 AM

Hi ladies,

Great news for those who've had their scans and saw their little bubbas:)

Sorry to read a few of you are experiencing nausea...it's awful :( and tiredness! When i first got pregnant, i got awful nausea, dizziness and sensitive nips, but since I've been having this bleeding bizzo, my nausea has reduced dramatically, nips are fine but breast tissue is tender (& expanding!!), still dizzy and really tired by about 5pm! Such mind games given i still don't know what's going on in there.....3 more sleeps until the u/s to find out.....seems like forever away!!

Xx

#305 Lefloof

Posted 07 February 2017 - 11:27 AM

Feeling you guys on the tiredness, it hits me in the late afternoon though, I've become pretty good at the after work nap!! My poor husband, not used to me being so tired! I get annoyed when he's been treating me a bit precious and then also when he suggested I start a weights routine - wtf?! Haha he's managing pretty well with the happy medium most of the time though...

Got my day of the week mixed up and I'm 10 weeks tomorrow and going for a scan/Harmony test Friday. I have no idea about the 10 week bloods I guess they will tell me? I'm getting my 12 week scan closer to 14 weeks (just a day or two before it's too late) due to being overseas.

I did have a call from the Midwife group that I'm going through, I have my first appointment early next week (they want to see me before I head OS) so that's exciting! It's starting to feel close to getting to serious, this is actually happening, we can tell people town. Just really hoping things are looking good on Friday for the scan!

#306 4littlebeans

Posted 07 February 2017 - 01:18 PM

Ugh, I can't stand this constant queasiness. I feel so bad because I haven't been able to do a lot with my kids because of it :(  I'm seeing my Dr Friday so perhaps there's something I can get which will help, just haven't had sickness so bad in any of my other pregnancies. We're not telling everyone until we have the results from the 12 week scan and the nipt so it's hard keeping it all under wraps when I feel so gross.

#307 Mrs_Bay

Posted 07 February 2017 - 03:20 PM

I'm feeling you... Tiredness at the moment is a killer! It's hits me at about 10am at work, as I sit in front of a computer most of the day. Coffee normally gets me through, but I can't stomach it at the moment 😩 Any other tips?!

In terms of appointment processes and what needs to be done when, Im not sure of the public process, but I can share what is done through a private obstetrician - initially (when I had my first baby) my GP explained that you could either pick the obstetrician and would then go to the hospital they practice at OR you could choose the hospital and then choose from the obstetricians that practice at that hospital. I live in Brisbane, so there are a few hospitals that you could choose from. I knew which hospital I wanted to go to, so from there my GP gave a recommendation for an obstetrician and I got a referral for her. I then booked in to see her, which you normally go at the 9/10 week mark, but I asked to see her earlier, which was fine. You then go every 3-4 weeks until roughly 28 weeks, then you go every 2, then after 36 weeks (from memory), it is weekly appointments. Going private is an expense, as on top of your appointment costs, you also have to pay a pregnancy management free at the 20 week mark, which covers insurance costs (for the obgyn) and labour costs, mine was $2800, but obstetricians can charge what they like (I think - I know a mate of mine paid $3200 for her PMF). In the end though, it was all worth it for me, and we are seeing the same obstetrician again this time (she has such a calming nature, which is great for me being quite the anxious person). In terms of up coming tests, she gave us the option to get the NIPT test, which we will do at around 10 weeks, but then also gave us the referral for the Nuchal scan for aroubd 12/13 weeks (Which reminds me I need to book this in!) and also a blood test, which you need to get done a week before the Nuchal, so around the 11 week mark. I asked what the difference was between NIPT and Nuchal and she said that you could get away with just the NIPT, but she always recommends getting the Nuchal, as they test for different thinks (from memory NIPT  is chromosomes and Nuchal is look at bones/muscle and things like Spina Bifida - hope I've got this info right for you all!)

Hopefully the above was helpful (and not too confusing) for those trying to choose between public/private. Xxx

#308 Lefloof

Posted 07 February 2017 - 04:23 PM

That's great info thanks Mrs Bay! Yikes at the cost though! I'm wondering if I'll see an OB at all, seeing as I've opted for our public midwife practice group, I think they take care of me the whole way, I'll have 2 to 3 midwives who should be with me the whole way. Look forward to finding out more on Monday!!

#309 SugarGirl

Posted 07 February 2017 - 04:45 PM

Can we add pictures in here??
I wanted to share my massive belly!!!!

#310 rettles

Posted 07 February 2017 - 04:46 PM

View PostMrs_Bay, on 07 February 2017 - 03:20 PM, said:

I'm feeling you... Tiredness at the moment is a killer! It's hits me at about 10am at work, as I sit in front of a computer most of the day. Coffee normally gets me through, but I can't stomach it at the moment Any other tips?!

In terms of appointment processes and what needs to be done when, Im not sure of the public process, but I can share what is done through a private obstetrician - initially (when I had my first baby) my GP explained that you could either pick the obstetrician and would then go to the hospital they practice at OR you could choose the hospital and then choose from the obstetricians that practice at that hospital. I live in Brisbane, so there are a few hospitals that you could choose from. I knew which hospital I wanted to go to, so from there my GP gave a recommendation for an obstetrician and I got a referral for her. I then booked in to see her, which you normally go at the 9/10 week mark, but I asked to see her earlier, which was fine. You then go every 3-4 weeks until roughly 28 weeks, then you go every 2, then after 36 weeks (from memory), it is weekly appointments. Going private is an expense, as on top of your appointment costs, you also have to pay a pregnancy management free at the 20 week mark, which covers insurance costs (for the obgyn) and labour costs, mine was $2800, but obstetricians can charge what they like (I think - I know a mate of mine paid $3200 for her PMF). In the end though, it was all worth it for me, and we are seeing the same obstetrician again this time (she has such a calming nature, which is great for me being quite the anxious person). In terms of up coming tests, she gave us the option to get the NIPT test, which we will do at around 10 weeks, but then also gave us the referral for the Nuchal scan for aroubd 12/13 weeks (Which reminds me I need to book this in!) and also a blood test, which you need to get done a week before the Nuchal, so around the 11 week mark. I asked what the difference was between NIPT and Nuchal and she said that you could get away with just the NIPT, but she always recommends getting the Nuchal, as they test for different thinks (from memory NIPT  is chromosomes and Nuchal is look at bones/muscle and things like Spina Bifida - hope I've got this info right for you all!)

Hopefully the above was helpful (and not too confusing) for those trying to choose between public/private. Xxx

It is hard because I need to make a decision but the private hospital I can choose is the highest in Perth for surgical intervention. I want to have a natural birth if possible.

Due to me being high risk, I know I should go private. I guess I need to stop procrastinating.

Also MrsBay - I found fresh air and tea help me deal with tiredness - but last night I ended up sleeping 14 hours since I didn't cat nap during the day.

View PostNoRest4TheWicked, on 07 February 2017 - 06:55 AM, said:

Hi ladies,

Great news for those who've had their scans and saw their little bubbas:)

Sorry to read a few of you are experiencing nausea...it's awful :( and tiredness! When i first got pregnant, i got awful nausea, dizziness and sensitive nips, but since I've been having this bleeding bizzo, my nausea has reduced dramatically, nips are fine but breast tissue is tender (& expanding!!), still dizzy and really tired by about 5pm! Such mind games given i still don't know what's going on in there.....3 more sleeps until the u/s to find out.....seems like forever away!!

Xx

hugs! Good luck norest! I hope for the best for you <3.

#311 Lefloof

Posted 07 February 2017 - 06:06 PM

SugarGirl you can upload photos via computer ☺

#312 TheatricalLady

Posted 07 February 2017 - 06:32 PM

View PostLefloof, on 07 February 2017 - 04:23 PM, said:

That's great info thanks Mrs Bay! Yikes at the cost though! I'm wondering if I'll see an OB at all, seeing as I've opted for our public midwife practice group, I think they take care of me the whole way, I'll have 2 to 3 midwives who should be with me the whole way. Look forward to finding out more on Monday!!

If you have opted for public midwife program,  you will only see an Ob if something goes wrong.  

We saw an Ob to help us get pregnant last time,  and he saw us until we were 12 weeks,  but because we didn't have private health insurance,  and because of the extra fees even if we did have private health  we couldn't afford to continue with him.  So we switched to the midwifery group practice at the Women's and Children's Hospital here.  We then had complications following the 20 week scan,  and ended up being seen by the Maternal Fetal Medicine unit where we saw which ever Ob was on (and we actually ended up having some appointment with the Ob we had seen before the pregnancy because he is a consultant at the hospital)

I ended up in hospital for two and a half weeks before they induced our little one (which ended up as a C section) and she then spent 2 weeks in hospital after she was born.  

In the end I would have ended up in the exact same hospital, being looked after by the exact same people,  and I didn't pay a cent out of pocket (other than the 12 week scan and some medication)

I guess I am just saying,  the care is just as good at a lot of public hospitals.  If you have the money for private health and you have an ob you like,  that is fantastic, that's how my mum had me.  But if you don't, there is great care available through the public system too.  

Sorry for the long post,  just wanted to share some of my experiences.

#313 Daffy2016

Posted 07 February 2017 - 06:41 PM

That's really helpful, TheatricalLady, thanks! I think you also get transferred to a public hospital in an emergency, even if you're going private?

NoRest, I hope the three days go super quickly! Waiting is the worst.

Go ahead and share the belly pics SugarGirl! I'll spare you all a look at mine, because I suspect it's mostly cheezels at this point.

#314 NoRest4TheWicked

Posted 07 February 2017 - 07:52 PM

I had my previous 3 kids at 2 different public hospitals (in SA). Both hospitals were great with their antenatal check ups and birthing centres. From memory (and that was a fair while ago lol) i only saw an ob maybe once or twice and the rest was with midwives for my check ups and saw an ob for like 5 mins for my DS1`s birth as my placenta got stuck.

I'm in QLD this time around and am going public again....and the attention and care they've been giving me at the early pregnancy clinic for my bleeding issue is ah-mazing so far.

So i definitely have no qualms in recommending public :)

#315 Mrs_Bay

Posted 08 February 2017 - 07:04 AM

Please don't think I was saying going Private was better than Public, because I dont think that at all! I know that public care is great and have had many a friend go through the system here in Brisbane. Everyone is different and I just thought I would share what private care entailed for those who weren't sure and were trying to choose. Xx

Edited by Mrs_Bay, 08 February 2017 - 08:02 AM.

#316 NoRest4TheWicked

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:07 AM

Same like schools....private vs public...what works for some may not work for others.

I just go public hospital as we can`t afford to go private :)

#317 rettles

Posted 08 February 2017 - 12:38 PM

Hi ladies

Long post - just laying out my fears so I can keep moving forward and have a great pregnancy, feel free to roll your eyes :p or read.

I did a weigh in this morning, I'm still the same weight as I was 3 weeks ago - even though my body has changed shape, my waist has expanded, my boobs are starting to feel like cantalopes and my nice fitted tops now show me with a muffin top over my jeans. So, for me, that's great because it means I'm eating the right food at the right quantities. I was already 10kgs over what I should be, but I'm healthy.

I'm biting the bullet today and making enquiries about private V public and will look at the options which are available to me. I have been too nervous about miscarrying to make appointments because I just didn't believe I'm going have a healthy bub, probably because of my age and because my anxiety issues like to make me feel that I don't deserve a good easy pregnancy. (long story).

However every day I wake up, I'm still pregnant and this seems like a miracle and no one has taken it from me yet,. So it's time to face those fears. Some great advice about public V private so thank you for sharing.

Have a lovely day everyone <3

#318 Daffy2016

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:48 PM

Good on you rettles!

#319 Eidorb

Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:26 PM

I am so glad everyone is still chugging along.

I got my letter confirming my first antenatal appointment today so that is exciting. It is at the public hospital I wanted, one with a NICU in case I go early again.

I am going to see an ob next week for the treatment of another condition I have but I don't think I will go private. Most private hospitals won't take me if I go early.

I had a little spotting today. Hoping it's not a here we go again thing, I bled up to 22 weeks last pregnancy.

I also have my Nuchal booked for Feb 27 so just floating along till obs next Wednesday and then that.

Will make a decision about other genetic testing based on the results of the nuchal.

Fingers crossed for all of you. I am following along just quietly.

#320 ~A2~

Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:57 PM

Thread closed

New thread here:  http://www.essential...-chat-thread-2/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.