Stomach cancer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OceanTwentyFour

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:13 PM

My brother has just been diagnosed with stomach cancer. I don't know many details such as what stage it is but he is going to have chemo first to try and shrink the tumour and then hopefully surgery.  He's been told treatment is very aggressive but very effective.

He's had pain/issues since October and has seen 4 doctors (including an overnight stay in Emergency) and it's apparently a big tumour so we can't understand why it took so long to be found. One doctor told him he's an alcoholic and that was causing the pain!!!

Not really sure what I'm asking, guess I'm just still trying to get my head around it.

Thanks,
O24

#2 raspberry sherbert

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:30 PM

O24 - I am here with you . My mum was diagnosed last month. Surgery is in 2 weeks time. Sounds very similar to my mum's diagnosis.Lots of tests over many months before it was found.  With the alcoholic thing did he get his B12 levels checked. Low B12 can mean you are an alcoholic. Someone my mum knows who had stomach cancer only found out because of his low B12.
I am sorry you are going thru this.

#3 Fennel Salad

Posted 13 January 2017 - 01:35 PM

Hello OP, first thing to do is breathe. The next few days and weeks will be a blur. If you need to talk, talk, if you need to cry or scream, cry, scream, whimper. I hope you and your brother have a good support network.

I bet you're feeling like you've been hit by a bus. No, it would hurt less to be hit by a bus by now....

I've recently gone through similar with my mum (stage 4 lymphoma, funny symptoms happening for while ...) and i know what youre feeling.

The total electrifying shock of a cancer diagnosis of a loved one....

Take your time to process this and be kind to you.

#4 OceanTwentyFour

Posted 15 January 2017 - 12:14 PM

Thank you both for your replies. I'm sorry you are both dealing with this as well.

Raspberry Sherbert - apparently he has spots on his liver which is why the GP decided he was an alcoholic. My brother is not a huge drinker so was really angry with that particular doctor.

I just had a chat to him and he seems quite upbeat. Still having tests but the doctors seem positive so will see what the test results are. All the best for both your mums - I hope it's positive news for you both x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.