LDC kindy- feeling guilty should I have enrolled her in stand alone kindy?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Chookster6

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:22 AM

We have decided to keep our daughter at the good start kindy rather than send her to a stand alone kindy. I was happy with my decision but whenever I tell people I feel like people are judging my decision.

The center is fantastic ( she has been there 2 days a week since 6 months) and has universal funding in kindy room with excellent resources and a newly qualified bachelor trained teacher (3 years experience since qualified) and she is really passionate about her program. The yard has just been upgraded and it looks fantastic lots of opportunities for play and learning. Also as a shift worker it will be easier when I return to work ( currently on mat leave, but retuning mid year) and also easier currently with a baby so I don't have to rush to kindly with the baby routine ect.

Also we were only planning to send her 2 days. She also does ballet and swimming lessons and spends 1 day a week with grandparents. Wondering if I should increase to 3 days? Doubting my decision now

#2 smmaho

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:31 AM

I'm a prep teacher and we get plenty of kids come from kinder that are part of childcare centres. If your child is going to a high quality centre and you are happy with them then they will get the same quality of education that they would get from a stand alone kinder. Don't feel guilty about your decision, there is nothing from with kinders in childcare centres. :)

#3 Caribou

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:36 AM

how old is your DD and why do you feel people are judging you for your decision?

Ultimately at the end of the day, you need to do what's best for you and the family.

#4 Chookster6

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:36 AM

Thank you smmaho

#5 F.E.B.E

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:37 AM

Don't feel bad OP. DD attended a LDC kindy program as I needed care beyond 3pm plus she was very happily settled at her centre already and I was pleased with the early learning program they ran in the 3-5s room. She is now at school and we couldn't have been happier with the transition between the two.

Long day cares get a bad rap for school readiness even though legally they have to have the same amount of qualified staff and run the same curicculum as a kindy or preschool.

As for the hours she is there, you may wish to add an extra day the year before school, but many kids also only attend 2 days rather than 3.

#6 seayork2002

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:40 AM

How are people judging you?

#7 Elizabethandfriend

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:41 AM

Sounds like you have made the best decision for your family's circumstances.  The good thing about kinder in childcare is you can increase days.  You might start with 2 then increase to 3 or 4 in the second half of the year to prepare for school entry.

#8 Chookster6

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:45 AM

Blue sheep she will be 5 in may. Top end of school cut off.

Just a few people when they have asked me and I've told them they have just said "oh ok"

It probably just stems from my own anxiety and insecurities wondering if I have made the right choice as you hear a lot of people say that stand alone kindys are better.

#9 PooksLikeChristmas

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:46 AM

We used the council kinder for cost reasons and it wasn't any better than the kinder room at childcare was. You've made a decision about what is best for your child and circumstances. Be confident in it.

#10 Chookster6

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:47 AM

FEBE

Yeah maybe I will increase to 3 days in the second semester.

Thanks everyone 😊

#11 trillian42

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:48 AM

We had almost exactly the same situation - DD at a goodstart centre, did wonder about a stand alone kinder but it really wasn't feasible work wise. She did 2 days at the centre + one with grandparents.

She thrived and developed so much over that year, and was very much prepared for school. The kinder program was great - it can sometimes be hard to see the specific activities within a long day care centre from outside, but they definitely had a structured program within the broader centre activities.

If you are happy with your decision for your daughter and family, don't worry about whether others are judging you :)

#12 Caribou

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:52 AM

View PostChookster6, on 19 January 2017 - 11:45 AM, said:

Blue sheep she will be 5 in may. Top end of school cut off.

Just a few people when they have asked me and I've told them they have just said "oh ok"

It probably just stems from my own anxiety and insecurities wondering if I have made the right choice as you hear a lot of people say that stand alone kindys are better.

I think it's fine. I was born in May went to school when I was 5 turning 6.

What it just boils down to, and it's not so much about stand alone kinder or attached to an LDC, and honestly, I think both are fine, it just comes down to what suits the family better and whether your DD is ready for FYOS Kinder or if she's better off waiting until 2017 for FYOS.

If she's not ready for First year of school she's not ready. But I can assure you she won't be the eldest or the youngest in class. She'll be bang in the middle with everyone else.

#13 Chookster6

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:56 AM

Thanks trillian

#14 spr_maiden

Posted 19 January 2017 - 11:57 AM

There's a bit of "our local kindy is superior in preparing children for FYOS" mentality at our local school I've found. I've also found there are people who really do buy into that kindy vs LDC in childcare even - usually the ones who work at stand alone kindys.

Funny thing was, having a random conversation with DS' FYOS teacher about 3/4 of the way through the year and she was going on about how LDC's don't prepare them, for eg. look how ready DS was for school, could tell they did a fantastic job of it blah blah. I giggled a bit when I told her he went to a LDC for pre-prep....

Moral? Quality care and school pre-prep is found in both. Do what works for your family. There are as many sub-grade kindergartens as there LDC's.  Don't buy into it.

#15 livelifelovehappy

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:15 PM

I am with you. We sent my little guy to two years of preschool, and he was really well prepared. I have decided to keep my daughter in LDC because she LOVES it there, and they seem really caring and very active and involved. And happiness is a huge part of education, she WANTS to be there, learning new things and they do a lot of stuff about the environment (hatching chickens and tadpoles, having a veggie patch) that's all as important as traditional stuff. I wonder if it's unfair... BUT the thing that really helped my son was the work WE did with him at home. He could write his name, alphabet and knew his numbers really well starting school. All of that stuff is time and practice. The teachers introduce it to them, but as long as you work and reinforce it at home, that's what truly helps in my opinion...Active, enthusiastic teachers with interesting topics, that's what is best, and they can be found in both environments.

Edited by livelifelovehappy, 19 January 2017 - 12:38 PM.

#16 Missy D

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:29 PM

I wouldn't take "oh ok" as judgemental. What more would you want them to say? I'd find it more annoying if they felt the need to reassure me I'd made the right decision. You need to make the right decision for your family and you're the only one who knows all the factors. You don't owe anyone an explanation and they don't need to approve your decisions.

It sounds like you've thought it through and know what's best for your family.  Who cares what others think?

#17 Hands Up

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:35 PM

Our kids will be going to LDC until they start school. We both work on the days we send them and our local kinders are 9-3 so it won't work for us. It is what it is.

#18 Appleaday

Posted 19 January 2017 - 12:40 PM

As long as you are happy with the care I wouldn't worry. I would have preferred long daycare for DD due to the longer hours than council kindergarten but cost wise it wasn't feasible. I am sure you have made the right decision.

#19 Silver Girl

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:00 PM

I completely understand the feeling you have of being judged. I had that sense too when we told people DS was going to LDC for his kinder. Many people seemed to think DS was "missing out" by not going to a stand alone centre.

We were very happy with his kinder teacher and their program. It sounds as if yours will be good too.

#20 Guest_KayDan0707_*

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:00 PM

I have worked as an educator in stand alone pre-schools/kindys with amazing ECTs and in long day care with equally amazing ECTs in their pre-school rooms.  If you are happy with the care your little one is receiving and it suits you and your family's needs then I wouldn't give it a second thought.  

I also agree with a PP that long day care centres can sometimes get a bad rap but you can get the excellent, the good and the downright ugly in both stand alone kindys and LDCs.

#21 MrsLexiK

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:06 PM

Our child care would make us enroll in for 3 days as the kinder program techniqually only runs from 9.30-3 so they don't get the 15 hours of the program if they only attend for 2 days. I met with kinder teacher and she is just as qualified as the teachers at the council kinder.

#22 Ally'smum

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:27 PM

We have done both, I preferred the LDC, was a much more professional place.

We had to do three days at LDC to do the kinder program.

We haven't had any issues with school readiness. The only problem I had was that my daughter wanted to go five days a week, it was too expensive to send her the days I wasn't working, but it was great that she loved it so much she wanted to go.

#23 possumbaby

Posted 19 January 2017 - 01:47 PM

Those short day pre-school/kinder/kindy programs a bit of a relic from when women were at home.

I've had a fantastic experience with one and I am going to do it for my second child - but its only because I don't work full-time and have help that we can do it.  I honestly don't understand why they haven't changed their business model.  

I would love it if they would just engage some on-site baby-sitting -from 2-6  they would make a motzer because I think people would be willing to pay for the best of both worlds.

#24 Illiterati

Posted 19 January 2017 - 02:07 PM

Edited by Illiterati, 12 April 2017 - 09:14 PM.

#25 dadwasathome

Posted 19 January 2017 - 02:10 PM

Both our boys were at LDC and fully prepared when starting school (Ds13 was 4y10m).

As others have said, there isn't a blanket yes/no as to the best way to go, and the hours of standalone are increasingly unsuitable for modern families.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.