LDC kindy- feeling guilty should I have enrolled her in stand alone kindy?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#26 Future-self

Posted 19 January 2017 - 02:24 PM

Like all things, there are going to be inferior and superior for both. Your local stand lone kindergartens are not necessarily any better in any way to the center and if you are happy with them - which is sounds like you are then don't give it another thought. The ONLY think I would do though is talk to the Teacher ASAP about your daughters attendance and best days and how many in order to be a part of the full kindergarten program and not be coming in and out and missing parts of themes etc

View PostBlueSheep, on 19 January 2017 - 11:52 AM, said:

What it just boils down to, and it's not so much about stand alone kinder or attached to an LDC, and honestly, I think both are fine, it just comes down to what suits the family better and whether your DD is ready for FYOS Kinder or if she's better off waiting until 2017 for FYOS.

If she's not ready for First year of school she's not ready. But I can assure you she won't be the eldest or the youngest in class. She'll be bang in the middle with everyone else.

The OP is in QLD where Kindrgarten is the year before Prep i.e school. Kindy isn't part of school.

#27 SplashingRainbows

Posted 19 January 2017 - 02:27 PM

My kid went to a LDC 2 days a week.
He had the highest reading levels of his kindergarten by a long way (teacher advised, and I saw de identified graphs of the 2016 results at the awards day for last year that confirmed this).

People like to believe their way is 'best' as it lessens their own guilt. Don't stress it. You'd child sounds like they are loved, cared for, interacted with, extended and highly cared for.

All those things are the important things, not where your child does a pre school program.

#28 Caribou

Posted 19 January 2017 - 02:38 PM

View PostFuture-Xmas-elf, on 19 January 2017 - 02:24 PM, said:

The OP is in QLD where Kindrgarten is the year before Prep i.e school. Kindy isn't part of school.

Which is why I said FYOS - First year of school meaning not to be a Kindergarten like some of the other states.

I was under the assumption she wasn't in NSW, which is why I understand it to be Kinder in an LDC before primary school.

Her daughter is at the age she can attend FYOS, But she's opted not to do it. Which is fine. Whatever suits her Daughter the best.

Edited by BlueSheep, 19 January 2017 - 02:39 PM.

#29 Future-self

Posted 19 January 2017 - 02:49 PM

View PostBlueSheep, on 19 January 2017 - 02:38 PM, said:

Which is why I said FYOS - First year of school meaning not to be a Kindergarten like some of the other states.

I was under the assumption she wasn't in NSW, which is why I understand it to be Kinder in an LDC before primary school.

Her daughter is at the age she can attend FYOS, But she's opted not to do it. Which is fine. Whatever suits her Daughter the best.
Your use of the word Kinder confused me as that's not a thing here in QLD so I assumed you thought she was in NSW. School wasn't even part of the  OPs quandary at all. She isn't deciding between sending her to school or kindy - she was deciding between kindy in a LDC setting or kindy in a community kindergarten. Technically the same pre-school program. However there can be weird opinions up here about Community Kindy's being 'better' than kindy in a LDC which I'm not sure people from intersate can understand?!. Nothing to do with the age of the OP's daughter etc, just her second guessing choosing kindy at a LDC.

Edited by Future-Xmas-elf, 19 January 2017 - 02:55 PM.

#30 Gudrun

Posted 19 January 2017 - 03:05 PM

I would have made exactly the same decision you made.
In everyone's best interests.  

Some people are stuck in the past when there were fewer options.

#31 Caribou

Posted 19 January 2017 - 03:45 PM

View PostFuture-Xmas-elf, on 19 January 2017 - 02:49 PM, said:

Your use of the word Kinder confused me as that's not a thing here in QLD so I assumed you thought she was in NSW. School wasn't even part of the  OPs quandary at all. She isn't deciding between sending her to school or kindy - she was deciding between kindy in a LDC setting or kindy in a community kindergarten. Technically the same pre-school program. However there can be weird opinions up here about Community Kindy's being 'better' than kindy in a LDC which I'm not sure people from intersate can understand?!. Nothing to do with the age of the OP's daughter etc, just her second guessing choosing kindy at a LDC.

my answer was based on a question I asked and she answered earlier in the thread.

I read her answer to be she was also defending her choice not to send her DD to FYOS as well. She was feeling judged not for just using LDC but not sending her child to Prep.

#32 Nobody Cool

Posted 19 January 2017 - 03:54 PM

All good OP, you're not sending her down the coal mines. Your parenting decisions are always going to come in for judgement or criticism from others. You just need to trust your gut and back yourself, because you are the one who knows what is best for your own family. It really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

ETA for the record, lots of kids from NSW go straight from private LDC to FYOS, because we don't have the community-based kinder programs that other states seem to have. They all cover some version of an early-learning type curriculum that is appropriate to their age anyway.

Edited by Nobody Cool, 19 January 2017 - 03:58 PM.

#33 Fright bat

Posted 19 January 2017 - 04:17 PM

I'd be far more worried about the quality of the program rather than whether it's part of LDC or standalone.

There are plenty of not great standalone kinders around. There are great LDC programs.

Frankly, I'm not sure how much kinder does to prepare kids for school anyway. The kids I see doing well are the ones with actively engaged parents at home - the ones who teach their kids to interact with others and behave in social situations, who foster a love of learning and actively play and interact with their kids, who recognise their kids weaknesses and work to improve them, while celebrating the strengths. This can be done in weekends alone even if your child is in LDC or school during the week.

This is not to say that early childhood education isn't important - it really really is - but more than whatever early education they get has to be supported by engaged parents at home. And if you can't access awesome early childhood education, it can be 'overcome' by being an engaged parent.

#34 Orangecake

Posted 21 January 2017 - 02:05 PM

If you are happy with your current LDC then it will be fine :)

I actually did move my DS to community kindy, regretted it, and feel guilty about the decision. He was settled and doing well at LDC, all of his class were staying for kindy year, so he would have been able to continue the same friendships. The community kindy we went to was no better quality teaching than the LDC, was less professional (for example, the teacher gossiped about children), and the hours were inflexible. In our prep class most of the kids did kindy at LDC.

#35 hoohoobump

Posted 21 January 2017 - 02:43 PM

This needed to be said again. Sounds like your arrangements work for your child and you are happy.

Quality care and school pre-prep is found in both. Do what works for your family. There are as many sub-grade kindergartens as there LDC's.  Don't buy into it.

#36 Bob-the-skull

Posted 21 January 2017 - 02:50 PM

the only reason why I went for a government kindy rather than the child care DS2 was attending when he was 4 was because he was getting speech therapy through the education dept and they couldn't come in to private centres.

I was lucky enough to find a daycare that used to run a bus to and from kindy each day so he went to daycare in the morning, and daycare used to take him to kindy each morning, collect him at lunch and he would spend the rest of the day at daycare until I finished work.

#37 DebbieDoesSanta

Posted 21 January 2017 - 03:06 PM

We went through the same thing, but we stood by our choice and we are super happy.

The only difference we found was preparing her for more independence with meal times, as she didn't take her lunch to LDC but honestly she's fine.

Our biggest decision maker was continuity of care. If we needed her looked after an extra day she would go to the same place.

#38 IkeaAddict

Posted 21 January 2017 - 03:13 PM

DS was at a LDC from 8 months and stayed there till just before starting school, also a May birthday so we sent him to school the year he was turning 6. He has just finished FYOS and did fine, there is no difference between the kids that did stand along preschool as opposed to LDC. Do what is best for your family :)

#39 Chookster6

Posted 21 January 2017 - 03:51 PM

Thank you so much everyone, I am feeling so much better and more confident in our decision 😊

#40 mumofsky

Posted 21 January 2017 - 04:44 PM

I was feeling similarly unsure about foster DD who will be two this year. I had enrolled her at a lovely stand alone kindy for next year, then I realised how happy she was at her daycare centre, how supportive all the staff have been of her disability and issues, and I finally went and looked at the kindy rooms and yard and it was so much nicer than I imagined - exactly like the beautiful old kindy I and DD went to. I decided on the spot it was best for her. If you are happy with the centre, you're the mum and you know best.

#41 SeaPrincess

Posted 21 January 2017 - 04:59 PM

When DS2 was old enough for kindy, I looked at 2, but we couldn't manage DS1 school and Ds2 kindy drop-offs and pick-ups. DS2 stayed in LDC at the time. For DD, I had enrolled her in kindy, then got offered a job, so I needed the flexible hours for care on the days she was going to attend. She did change LDC, but she stayed in daycare as well.

You do what works best for your family, not what other people think is best.

Edited by SeaPrincess, 21 January 2017 - 04:59 PM.

#42 StartledFlamingo

Posted 21 January 2017 - 07:50 PM

DS is doing Kindy at LDC, also a Goodstart (ie not a community run centre, which would probably be deemed more acceptable by anyone who wishes to judge these things).

I have reasons to prefer the LDC that are my own reasons for my circumstances and child and I don't feel the need to defend them. Mainly it's just convenience. The hours and location work best for the whole family.

Any judgement about stand alone kindys is just misplaced snobbery and more than faintly ridiculous.

#43 DebbieDoesSanta

Posted 21 January 2017 - 11:38 PM

I forgot to add, we went and had a look at the stand alone kinder that is considered the most popular in town, and we weren't overly impressed so it cemented our decision.

#44 lizzzard

Posted 22 January 2017 - 12:28 AM

Ours attended a LDC with a preschool program. There was a visible difference between the daycare and preschool components, and the preschool room was set up just like a standalone preschool. The preschool component only ran from 9-3pm as well. I can't see how it would have been any different except for the convenience of 'after-school and before-school' care onsite (and younger kids in other rooms who joined the 4yr olds for playtime).

Edited by lizzzard, 22 January 2017 - 12:29 AM.

#45 Phoenix13

Posted 25 January 2017 - 08:25 PM

People make sacrifices to send their kids to stand alone kinder. Of course when they hear of people choosing LDC they want to feel like the choice they made was the right one. That's an issue for them.
Both of mine went to LDC kinder and settled into school perfectly well and continue to love it and do well.
Do what's right for you and never move your kids to avoid judgmental looks/comments. You will get them whatever you do!

#46 little lion

Posted 27 January 2017 - 01:19 PM

I wasn't sure whether to go LDC or stand alone Kindy (Qld) but chose LDC. I'm very happy with this decision as I can increase or decrease days if needed, later drop off and pick up suits our shifts, my younger son goes to the same centre so they play together at times, no break for school terms, same environment and teachers so less transition troubles.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.