Confusion over FTB government changes

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#26 casime

Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:17 PM

I don't think it is the government's responsibility to ensure that someone gets Christmas presents.  It's supposed to be so that families on a low income can continue to keep food on the table and a roof over their heads.  When people start getting upset that their annual Christmas budget is being impacted, then it's definitely time that it gets reviewed.

#27 Fresh Start

Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:33 PM

View Post~Kestrel~, on 08 February 2017 - 05:04 PM, said:

Do they spread out the deductions across the whole year?

You don't have to pay it off within the next financial year so no.

#28 BECZ

Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:35 PM

View PostLisbethSalander, on 08 February 2017 - 03:19 PM, said:

But for those of us at the bottom of the income scale, the extra fortnightly $ makes life more manageable, even if its less of a lump sum.

Not saying I agree with everyone losing out. I very much dont. But if that was your xmas club money, then that is workable. For me, its school fees and uniform money, or car rego and insurance money.

See we put that money aside to pay for extras like car rego, insurance, school fees etc. We'll survive on less, but I find it easier to put aside if it comes in lump sum.

Where are people who are really that tight going to find the difference.  Unless they are in constant debt (paying late fees/interest), there's no way that they will be better off.  These expenses aren't going to become any cheaper unless waiting for your supplement puts you in arrears and you are paying late fees, but still, even then.

So someone with say two kids will be approximately $350p.a. worse off.  $350 is a lot of extra money to find for people that are really living week to week.

#29 Bone Apple Tea

Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:40 PM

View Postcasime, on 08 February 2017 - 05:17 PM, said:

I don't think it is the government's responsibility to ensure that someone gets Christmas presents.  It's supposed to be so that families on a low income can continue to keep food on the table and a roof over their heads.  When people start getting upset that their annual Christmas budget is being impacted, then it's definitely time that it gets reviewed.

Seriously?

How is it anyone's business if I use the supps to fund Christmas and back to school expenses?

I deliberately lodge my tax return on the 31st of October so that I will have the supps as late as possible to get us through Christmas and the back to school period.  Since my exh managed to weasel his way out of paying child support, I have virtually nothing left after paying bills, food and medical expenses.   There is no fat in my budget. Zero.  The only holiday we have been on in the last 5 years was paid for by my parents and that was only in a unit on the Sunshine Coast around 1 1/2 hrs from my house.  It has taken me years to find the money to pay an electrician to come in (today) and fix a broken light fitting and replace some broken power points.  We will now be able to sit at the dining room table for dinner.  Excuse me if you feel I'm "rich" if  I use the supps to pay for Christmas presents for my children.  Or aren't my kids allowed to have a Christmas?  

In the next 12 months I'm facing losing my FTB B, FTB A for one child who finishes school at the end of the year and now $400 odd in supps for the others.  I think I will be kissing carers allowance for my SN child goodbye as well.  I've been applying for better paying jobs, but in the meantime I just don't know how many more hits my already stretched budget can take.  I'm actually seriously considering getting a junk mail run to try and balance my budget.

Edited by Bone Apple Tea, 08 February 2017 - 05:41 PM.

#30 GlitterFarts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:49 PM

I mean how dare those nasty poor people have gifts for their kids. I mean if you're poor, you shouldn't even have kids!! *sigh*

It paid our annual bills and paid for big ticket items like car repairs, tires, medical needs, etc. I was hoping to buy a fridge and not have to use frozen bottles of water to keep my fridge cool.

yay. But keep paying our pollies sh*tloads hey

#31 LisbethSalander

Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:52 PM

View PostBECZ, on 08 February 2017 - 05:35 PM, said:

See we put that money aside to pay for extras like car rego, insurance, school fees etc. We'll survive on less, but I find it easier to put aside if it comes in lump sum.

Where are people who are really that tight going to find the difference.  Unless they are in constant debt (paying late fees/interest), there's no way that they will be better off.  These expenses aren't going to become any cheaper unless waiting for your supplement puts you in arrears and you are paying late fees, but still, even then.

So someone with say two kids will be approximately $350p.a. worse off.  $350 is a lot of extra money to find for people that are really living week to week.

As someone who has two kids, I am the one who will be losing out on that $350pa. You dont need to tell me how hard it is. I am well aware. I am living well below the poverty line. I am more than aware of the financial impact.

#32 casime

Posted 08 February 2017 - 06:06 PM

I am also going to be affected by this.

But when someone is complaining that they want it kept the way it is because they can't save for Christmas, instead of giving it to people who may really benefit from that $20 extra per week is what is annoying to me.  They'll still get money, they just need to save it instead of spend it.

But when there's people like the lady on our local site today begging if anyone has any bread or eggs they can spare, then that $20 is the difference for her of eating or not eating this week.

#33 Fresh Start

Posted 08 February 2017 - 06:10 PM

View PostBone Apple Tea, on 08 February 2017 - 05:40 PM, said:

In the next 12 months I'm facing losing my FTB B

Why? If you're a single parent you keep FTB till the youngest child is 18 if they're studying.
https://www.humanser...ily-tax-benefit

#34 Bone Apple Tea

Posted 08 February 2017 - 06:20 PM

View PostNasty Start, on 08 February 2017 - 06:10 PM, said:

Why? If you're a single parent you keep FTB till the youngest child is 18 if they're studying.

Thank goodness.  I went into panic mode when I read the OP and saw FTB B and youngest child turning 13,  I assumed I was going to lose it.  I obviously need to check facts first instead of assuming the worst.

#35 Rockwiz

Posted 08 February 2017 - 07:39 PM

View PostNasty Start, on 08 February 2017 - 06:10 PM, said:

What is confusing me is the press release says the govt is 'ditching plans to remove ftb part b payments for families whose youngest child is turning 13'. I actually thought this was already policy so hardly a ditching of 'plans'.Am I missing what the media is referring to here! I assume they are talking about families whose second earner is on a low income and primary earner is on less than $100k a year?

#36 Rockwiz

Posted 08 February 2017 - 07:41 PM

View PostBone Apple Tea, on 08 February 2017 - 06:20 PM, said:

Thank goodness.  I went into panic mode when I read the OP and saw FTB B and youngest child turning 13,  I assumed I was going to lose it.  I obviously need to check facts first instead of assuming the worst.
Sorry to stress you out BAT. I'm totally confused by it all myself and didn't mean to cause anyone undue stress.

#37 Tinkle Splashes

Posted 08 February 2017 - 07:47 PM

View PostRockwiz, on 08 February 2017 - 07:39 PM, said:

What is confusing me is the press release says the govt is 'ditching plans to remove ftb part b payments for families whose youngest child is turning 13'. I actually thought this was already policy so hardly a ditching of 'plans'.Am I missing what the media is referring to here! I assume they are talking about families whose second earner is on a low income and primary earner is on less than $100k a year?

For couples, eligibility for FTB part B ceases when the youngest turns 13.

For single parents, eligibility for FTB part B ceases when the youngest turns 16, or 18 if the child is still a student.

#38 Fresh Start

Posted 08 February 2017 - 07:48 PM

View PostRockwiz, on 08 February 2017 - 07:39 PM, said:

I think they wanted to take it away from single parents but have shelved that. I'm not sure.

#39 Prioritising Pooks

Posted 08 February 2017 - 07:54 PM

View PostJRA, on 08 February 2017 - 02:13 PM, said:

My understanding it was being replaced with $20/ft per child, that is $520 / child, how much was the supplement? Surely it is better to have the money in your hand each month?

It's the only way we've been able to save a lump. We do try to save but something always happens to eat it.

View Postcasime, on 08 February 2017 - 05:17 PM, said:

That's not fair. Most people who celebrate Christmas and receive FTB will be spending money on presents. The money you "earmark" for it is irrelevant.

I like the supplements because they take away the fear of debt, and when we get a lump we can use it on things that our weekly budget doesn't normally allow for. This FY I got the evaporative air serviced for the first time in 5 years, we got a skip for all the junk piled up, and paid off a debt. Is that more acceptable than Christmas presents? Because I bought those too, and greedily get government money.

#40 ~ river song ~

Posted 08 February 2017 - 08:05 PM

Well done to this incompetent govt confusing things beyond by comprehension again.
This is why we need a universal income. To create an even playing field for all Australians no matter what and to stop the bullsh*t bureaucracy that makes implementing and administrating Centrelink such a crippling financial mess that they have to make cuts and so cut out the help for those who need it more.
We don't rely on FTB or other assurance to survive but there are thousands that do and at it's roots is the notion that those who need help the most are the problem and should be punished as a result.
I'm ****ing over it and moving to Finland, or Sweden or somewhere where the idea of 'welfare' is about the welfare of its citizens and not seeing them as a burden.
Bastards the lot of them in the coalition

#41 Rockwiz

Posted 08 February 2017 - 08:47 PM

View PostTinkle Splashes, on 08 February 2017 - 07:47 PM, said:

For couples, eligibility for FTB part B ceases when the youngest turns 13.

For single parents, eligibility for FTB part B ceases when the youngest turns 16, or 18 if the child is still a student.

Yes I know all that but the reports are the govt is ditching plans to reduce the cut off to 13 years. So either it was planning on reducing the age for single parents to 13 and have had second thoughts about this OR two parent families will once again receive FTB part B for their children past the age of 13. It is probably the former though.

#42 FeralZombieMum

Posted 08 February 2017 - 11:14 PM

View PostPrioritising Pooks, on 08 February 2017 - 07:54 PM, said:

I like the supplements because they take away the fear of debt, and when we get a lump we can use it on things that our weekly budget doesn't normally allow for.

I think you have really hit the nail on the head on why I think the supplements are great. It certainly did help take away the fear of debt when money was extremely tight.

#43 alchetta

Posted 09 February 2017 - 02:27 AM

I'm only just looking at FTB eligibility for the first time now as our first baby is due in April. I'm so confused about the income tests based on the tables on their website.
Does anyone want to lay out the current limits for dummies? Maths was never my strong point and while I consider myself highly literate I don't really understand if we're eligible or not. I'm the primary income earner as DH is a student.

#44 JRA

Posted 09 February 2017 - 05:18 AM

I like the supplements because they take away the fear of debt, and when we get a lump we can use it on things that our weekly budget doesn't normally allow for.

That makes a lot of sense.

#45 Bone Apple Tea

Posted 09 February 2017 - 06:31 AM

View Postalchetta, on 09 February 2017 - 02:27 AM, said:

I'm only just looking at FTB eligibility for the first time now as our first baby is due in April. I'm so confused about the income tests based on the tables on their website.
Does anyone want to lay out the current limits for dummies? Maths was never my strong point and while I consider myself highly literate I don't really understand if we're eligible or not. I'm the primary income earner as DH is a student.

I also find the rules confusing.  Your best bet would be to plug your details into an online estimator.

#46 Bandwagon

Posted 09 February 2017 - 08:51 AM

My FTB B has stopped since the start of the year.

One 6yo and I am partnered.  Estimated family income $50,500.

I posted about it recently and never really confirmed if this was correct.  I haven't tried contacting CL as it seems futile.  

This seems to contradict some of the posts in this thread.

#47 FeralZombieMum

Posted 09 February 2017 - 09:16 AM

View PostBandwagon, on 09 February 2017 - 08:51 AM, said:

I posted about it recently and never really confirmed if this was correct.  I haven't tried contacting CL as it seems futile.  

According to the Centrelink online calculator, you should be getting $108.64 per fortnight for FTB part B - however, that is assuming you are not earning an income.

What I'd do - log on and do an update of your family income, and see if that generates a change in your payments.

#48 Fresh Start

Posted 09 February 2017 - 10:08 AM

View PostBandwagon, on 09 February 2017 - 08:51 AM, said:

Assuming one of you has no income (or under about $24000) then there should be some part B.

Interesting it stopped from start of year. That's when Fringe Benefits changes occurred. Does the lowest earner have fringe benefits?

Or (and this is unlikely given the total income) does the higher earner have fringe benefits that, if assessed at grossed up value, would put them over $100000?

Hard to answer without specifics.

Oh, I found ap way to at least get through yesterday when I forgot to call at 8am - called complaints, lodged a complaint about busy signal for over half an hour then they transferred me to the families line! Still a 50 minute wait after that but I got through.

#49 Bandwagon

Posted 09 February 2017 - 11:07 AM

Sorry, I don't know how to quote on my phone.  

We were both working until Jan, I haven't changed our estimate or let them know I've stopped working as I wasn't sure what to change the estimate to and I figured I'd have a new job by now.  So two incomes at the same estimate as far as they know.  

My partner hasn't done his tax return yet, I wonder if that's an issue.

#50 Fresh Start

Posted 09 February 2017 - 11:43 AM

Nope, unless he has three outstanding current year payments won't stop for tax returns.

You'll have to call.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

• ek-comp-springfree

Win a Springfree Trampoline!

Click now for your chance to WIN a Springfree Trampoline (R54 Compact Round) plus Australia-wide delivery ? valued up to $1774!

• <i></i>

How dogs could make children better readers

Issues around children learning to read are rarely out of the news. Which is hardly surprising – becoming a successful reader is of paramount importance in improving a child's life chances. Nor is it surprising that reading creates a virtuous circle: the more you read the better you become. But what may come as a surprise is that reading to dogs is gaining popularity as a way of addressing concerns about children's reading.

• <i></i>

Mum's warning about 'creeps' on popular teen app

Just when you thought it was totally safe to let your kids on social media (just kidding, nobody really thinks that), here comes another warning of ways creeps will try to contact our kids.

• <i></i>

Let preschoolers invent their own spelling, experts say

Find out how to help your child in the light of the new findings.

• <p>

Do your kids get too many presents? There's an app for that

Three out of four Australians believe they are overspending on their kids by hundreds of dollars each month. And then there's the gifts.

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.