FTB Supps to go

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Queen*of*the*Harpies

Posted 09 February 2017 - 11:44 PM

So if FTB supps have always been framed as being part of your yearly FTB entitlement, which is withheld til tax time so that any overpayments can be recouped, then how does the govt get away with abolishing it without adding a corresponding amount to the overall yearly entitlement which is paid in regular instalments (fortnightly or whatever)? If they don't, FTB itself is effectively being cut.

Has nobody called the govt out on this? Or are they pulling a swifty and just hoping no one will notice and they'll get away with it without being pulled up on their own policy?

Edited by Queen*of*the*Harpies, 09 February 2017 - 11:48 PM.

#2 BadCat

Posted 10 February 2017 - 05:15 AM

They are talking about bumping up the fortnightly payment as well.

But even if you get the maximum bump it doesn't cover the full amount you lose in the supps.

I wonder if they'll tie it to immunisation at all though.  If they take away the supps they take away the financial incentive to get your kids immunised, unless they change the rules and apply the requirement to immunise to the entirety of FTB.  But I haven't heard anything about that.

#3 Fresh Start

Posted 10 February 2017 - 07:52 AM

They'll do anything to low to middle income families, they don't care about us.

The senate can stop them so, as I e said in the other thread, contact your minor party senators and voice your opposition.

#4 Rockwiz

Posted 10 February 2017 - 08:38 AM

It's disgusting.
But if you're combined income is over $80k for the current financial year, you've already lost your supps as that new law was brought in a few months back. We''ve just gone over the $80k cut-off mark so no more supps for us, regardless of whether this latest policy passes the Senate or not.

#5 Queen*of*the*Harpies

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:35 AM

My work sees me in contact with families of school-aged children, many struggling. The financial stress of starting the school year without the safety net of skb has been crippling for many. I'm still getting over the fact that the schoolkids bonus has actually really, truly been cut for these families. Now ftb supps? Way to kick the boot in Malcolm. Kick 'em while they're down with the skb scrapping, then come back for another go with ftb supps. Really, what is this country coming to? The gap just keeps widening.

#6 Prioritising Pooks

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:53 AM

There's a whole suite of proposed welfare changes that are being tied to childcare rebate reform. This government are really repulsive in the way they treat low income people. And quite apart from the moral argument, there's an economic argument about the short-sightedness of these apparent "savings".

#7 DanceMom

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:59 AM

If you have a single income family with one child (receiving A and B) you will actually be around $560 a year worse off under new changes. They are only adding around $20 extra to fortnightly payment while removing $726 FTB A supplement and $350 FTB B supplement. They are atttacking the lowest income people in this country while adding to their own pockets. I'm disgusted with some of these policies that are passing

#8 Nerileeway

Posted 18 February 2017 - 11:37 AM

I have a feeling this did not go through.  Can anybody confirm?

#9 Puzzles

Posted 18 February 2017 - 11:57 AM

This is a conservative liberal government who care not for struggling lower to middle income families. They are cutting payments as majority of their voters are not in lower income brackets.

Middle income families get MORE from the changes. They never received FTB and now their child care rebate cap is lifted.

#10 jrt3

Posted 26 February 2017 - 12:02 PM

I believe it passed the house of Reps in late 2015 but lapsed in Senate in April 2016

#11 SmashedAvoLatte

Posted 26 February 2017 - 12:42 PM

Like anything the government manadates, relying on family tax benefit to survive means being at the whim of the wealthy politicians who dictate the rules.
It's sh*t, but a bloody hard lesson to not rely on anything the govt gives you if you can avoid it because they can cut it down, cut it out completely if they want to :(
That aside FTB is relatively new in the grand scheme of things for Australia, did it replace something else? What did families do before it :(

#12 ~Nasty_Jodama~

Posted 26 February 2017 - 12:46 PM

View Postjrt3, on 26 February 2017 - 12:02 PM, said:

I believe it passed the house of Reps in late 2015 but lapsed in Senate in April 2016

Pretty sure the OP is referring to the reforms that the government are currently trying to push through.!!

#13 Fresh Start

Posted 26 February 2017 - 06:16 PM

View Post~ river song ~, on 26 February 2017 - 12:42 PM, said:

Like anything the government manadates, relying on family tax benefit to survive means being at the whim of the wealthy politicians who dictate the rules.
It's sh*t, but a bloody hard lesson to not rely on anything the govt gives you if you can avoid it because they can cut it down, cut it out completely if they want to :(
That aside FTB is relatively new in the grand scheme of things for Australia, did it replace something else? What did families do before it :(

FTB came in 1/7/2000.

Prior to that it was Family Payment.

Prior to that it was Child Endowment I believe.

#14 Bone Apple Tea

Posted 26 February 2017 - 06:24 PM

View PostNasty Start, on 26 February 2017 - 06:16 PM, said:

FTB came in 1/7/2000.

Prior to that it was Family Payment.

Prior to that it was Child Endowment I believe.

This, plus the old dependent spouse rebate that could be claimed on tax returns was replaced by FTB B.

Having had a child at a time when Family Payment existed, I can say it was a lot less than FTB A.  However, I believe FTB A was set high to compensate families for the increased living expenses that the GST bought about (was introduced around the same time).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.