Celebrities and twins

• Please log in to reply
72 replies to this topic

#51 Moo point

Posted 11 February 2017 - 09:15 AM

There is no evidence that increased folate use has lead to higher rates of twins:

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/15703534

https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/17039857

The increase in twinning thought to be associated with increased folate was confounded by IVF and other assisted conception factors, as well as increased maternal age, in these studies.

#52 Heather11

Posted 11 February 2017 - 09:19 AM

View Postopethmum, on 10 February 2017 - 02:03 PM, said:

Federer has two sets of twins one girl set and one boy set.

His sister apparently has twins too.  Must be a genetic thing there.

#53 Lifesgood

Posted 11 February 2017 - 09:34 AM

I found an informative discussion on the incidence of twinning and the change in rates since the 1990's.

https://www.twins.or...cts-and-figures

I guess the question is - is the incidence of twins among 'celebrities' (how do you define this population?) higher than the average rate of 4-8 per 1000 (Caucasian identical/fraternal) or 4-16 (African identical/fraternal). These rates translate to approximately 1/80 live births in Australia.

It may seem that celebrities have more twins, but that could be an observation bias because of the increased exposure we have to celebs.

This is what the article has to say on the increased incidence of multiples. The point that PPs have made about the use of fertility drugs such as Clomid is very relevant.

Trends in multiple births

There has been an overall increasing trend in multiple births in the last two decades, attributed largely to the increased use of fertility drugs and assisted reproduction technology, delay in childbearing and the growing number of older mothers. However, there had been a decrease in the proportion of triplet and higher order multiple births in recent years - until this past year which actually saw an increase from 65 to 84 births.

#54 PabloS

Posted 11 February 2017 - 09:42 AM

I know 10+ couples with twins and they all used AC. I think that's going to be the main reason. None were over 35.

Edited by Formaggio, 11 February 2017 - 09:43 AM.

#55 MrsLexiK

Posted 11 February 2017 - 10:35 AM

View PostHeather11, on 11 February 2017 - 09:19 AM, said:

I just realised I know another family with twins boy/girl non IVF or reproductive drugs etc (it was an "oh sh*t I'm pregnant how did this happen" situation). She is a twin. Her twin has twins. Her mum had another pregnancy where she lost a twin. She had another pregnancy where she too lost a twin. She wasn't Game to go back for a third time in case she got twins again!

#56 Mrs_greyhound

Posted 11 February 2017 - 10:38 AM

Slightly off topic, but it really grinds my gears when people refer to "implanting" an "egg" in IVF. It's an embryo, and it's transferred. If there was a doctor who could successfully implant an embryo, I would be lining up with a million dollars in hand.

And as other pps have mentioned, multiples due to AC are much more likely to come from ovulation induction (clomid or injectables) or IUI.

In actual IVF, doctors in Australia are very cautious of transferring more than one embryo. While it is legal, it really only something offered to women who are over 40 and/or have had many failed cycles.

#57 Bam1

Posted 11 February 2017 - 11:19 AM

View PostPilar Palabundar, on 10 February 2017 - 07:12 PM, said:

Was it crazy4 said she had twins naturally and fecking rude people asked if it was IVF. Far out

Yes it was but then she also stated she assumed B/G twins are IVF so it's hard to see why her assumptions are any more acceptable than others.

#58 Mozzie1

Posted 11 February 2017 - 11:30 AM

I thought twins only followed the female line, because it's related to ovulating multiple eggs in one cycle. It would have to be his wife's family who had twins running in it.

#59 Soontobegran

Posted 11 February 2017 - 11:53 AM

View PostAdelTwins, on 11 February 2017 - 08:11 AM, said:

Twins doesn't mean IVF. I have had two twin pregnancies from Clomid. I have fraternal twin boys and lost identical twin boys mid pregnancy. I was always amazed at the number of strangers who asked if I had IVF, as if it was any of their business.

There are plenty of assisted reproductive techniques before you get to IVF. Beyoncé is only 35 and who knows if her twins are identical - which is a random event not caused by fertility treatments.

Both of my twin pregnancies have been quite difficult and stressful. I wish anyone in this situation all the best - celebrity or not.

1-80 from a natural cycle but with assisted reproduction including Clomid the chance of twins increases by 30%.
African /American and over 40s have a 1-40 stat.

I do think that many people will ponder whether a multiple pregnancy has been due to AR because it is quite an unusual happening without but as for anyone asking the parents.......that is just not on ever. :(

I agree with you....multiple pregnancies are not something to aim for.

#60 Froyo

Posted 11 February 2017 - 11:55 AM

View PostMrs_greyhound, on 11 February 2017 - 10:38 AM, said:

Slightly off topic, but it really grinds my gears when people refer to "implanting" an "egg" in IVF. It's an embryo, and it's transferred. If there was a doctor who could successfully implant an embryo, I would be lining up with a million dollars in hand.

And as other pps have mentioned, multiples due to AC are much more likely to come from ovulation induction (clomid or injectables) or IUI.

In actual IVF, doctors in Australia are very cautious of transferring more than one embryo. While it is legal, it really only something offered to women who are over 40 and/or have had many failed cycles.
All this.

#61 Soontobegran

Posted 11 February 2017 - 11:57 AM

As for the folate thing........Nope.
The stats for naturally conceived twins has not altered in decades.

#62 Crazy4

Posted 11 February 2017 - 12:00 PM

View PostBam1, on 11 February 2017 - 11:19 AM, said:

Yes it was but then she also stated she assumed B/G twins are IVF so it's hard to see why her assumptions are any more acceptable than others.

Because while I might be curious as to whether a celebrity has used IVF to have boy/girl twins, as it seems a lot of PPs are, I would never approach them and ask them outright if they used IVF or if they had fertility issues - none of my business.

I've had complete strangers quiz me on my fertility, if I had trouble conceiving, my family history of twins, my age. I have no problems with them being curious from afar, but don't approach me while I'm chasing two toddlers in the supermarket to prove your theory that I must have had IVF.

#63 Crazy4

Posted 11 February 2017 - 12:13 PM

View PostMozzie1, on 11 February 2017 - 11:30 AM, said:

I thought twins only followed the female line, because it's related to ovulating multiple eggs in one cycle. It would have to be his wife's family who had twins running in it.

I think it's fair to say there is a lot we still don't know about twins. You are right fraternal twins do follow the mothers line while ID twins are a random act (that is what every doctor has ever told me anyway) however I think there is more to it somehow. More we don't know or understand yet.

Now that I have twins and know a lot of twin mums, a lot of them have no history of twins, but their husbands do. Or they are an ID twin themselves (so supppsedly not genetic) and then had twins. Or their husband was an ID twin and they had fraternal twins. I actually know about a dozen fathers who are a twin and then they had twins with the mother not having any history at all, not being over 35 or being in the higher risk category for twins. It's all very fascinating.

#64 AdelTwins

Posted 11 February 2017 - 12:16 PM

View PostMozzie1, on 11 February 2017 - 11:30 AM, said:

RF first set of twins are identical - no-one knows what triggers that to happen. As far as I know he has not confirmed either way if his boys are fraternal or identical.

#65 OrchidFlower

Posted 11 February 2017 - 12:53 PM

FWIW I have read that Roger Federer has identical girl twins, then fraternal boy twins.

Just to bring it back to celebrity twins, did you know Elvis Presley was a twin? Wiki tells me his brother Jesse died at birth.

#66 Froyo

Posted 11 February 2017 - 02:50 PM

I don't think the response has been at all surprising given how many EB members have done and/or are undergoing ART.

Edited by Froyo, 11 February 2017 - 02:50 PM.

#67 Tinsilitis

Posted 11 February 2017 - 03:39 PM

I believe there isn't more celebrity twins than those in the rest of the population. You just are more likely to remember the twins. How many celebrities have had singleton births in the same time period you are remembering the twins? Hundreds of course!

The human mind is a curious thing :)

#68 Nobodyelse

Posted 11 February 2017 - 06:14 PM

View PostFormaggio, on 11 February 2017 - 09:42 AM, said:

I know 10+ couples with twins and they all used AC. I think that's going to be the main reason. None were over 35.

I know six couples with twins. None used AC. All under 35.

#69 Black Velvet

Posted 11 February 2017 - 06:42 PM

View PostOrchidFlower, on 11 February 2017 - 12:53 PM, said:

Just to bring it back to celebrity twins, did you know Elvis Presley was a twin? Wiki tells me his brother Jesse died at birth.

Yes and his daughter Lisa Marie also has twin girls.

My identical twin boys (naturally conceived) were born when I was 37.

#70 born.a.girl

Posted 11 February 2017 - 06:55 PM

View PostTinsilitis, on 11 February 2017 - 03:39 PM, said:

I believe there isn't more celebrity twins than those in the rest of the population. You just are more likely to remember the twins. How many celebrities have had singleton births in the same time period you are remembering the twins? Hundreds of course!

The human mind is a curious thing :)

The same thing probably happens with families we all know.  The family that wants lots of kids and finds themselves with an early set of twins won't stick in your mind as much as the couple who vacillated over having a second, then suddenly find themselves with three.

#71 tres

Posted 11 February 2017 - 08:30 PM

No he can't influence whether his wife ovulated two eggs - all he is contributing is the sperm.

#72 Hands Up

Posted 11 February 2017 - 08:32 PM

I know three couples with twins.

Two sets naturally conceived (runs in the family).

The third went to Greece for their ivf and had three embryos transferred (I hope I've got the terminology right).  

All three mum's were aged between 33 and 39.

#73 tres

Posted 11 February 2017 - 08:38 PM

I was asked all the time if my frat naturally conceived twins were ivf. I even had people not believe me and insist I must have used clomid or something.

A few twin mums I know when asked "are they ivf" come back with "no, they're s.e.x."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.