Home and car insurance

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Nasty Start

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:48 PM

For my entire adult life I have insured with AAMI - car and home.

Just got my car renewal and decided I should call around. First quote was over $200 more than AAMI.

AAMI have always been easy to deal with and I am sure I could get cheaper with YOUI, Coles, Budget Direct etc but I am wary of those insurers - worried something would happen and they'd find a way out if it.

So EB who do you insure with? Are they easy to deal with? Any problems when claiming?

#2 Hands Up

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:53 PM

Our cars are with Budget and we had a claim within a month of changing to them - our fault - and they were great.

House and contents with CGU as they have decent rates for houses with high fire risk. We've never put a claim in.

#3 Nasty Start

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:59 PM

Thanks for that.  I'll look into Budget.

I recall insuring with CGU twenty years ago when I was renting, the three of us couldn't get contents insurance with anyone else at the time.

#4 nasty roses

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:59 PM

We used to have half with AAMI and half with Suncorp. We've recently switched to have them all with Suncorp.

Like you, we had no issues at all with AAMI. We've also had stress-free claims with Suncorp. And we find it easier to have all with the one company.

#5 Mooples

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:03 PM

We are with AAMI for cars and Allianz for house and contents. Have never had a claim with Allianz but they have been helpful over the phone when we were setting up. We changed from AAMI home insurance because they changed our area to high bushfire risk and wouldn't completely cover us or something along those lines I can't remember.

#6 AggyW72

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:06 PM

We have our house with AAMI and made a significant claim 5 years ago after xmas day storms in Melb. No issues at all. Recently moved one car to GIO and the service was fantastic when my car was hit in a car park. And cheaper than AAMI for that car. Our other car is with Bingle but we've not claimed on it.

#7 Nasty Start

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:09 PM

I just tried Budget, more expensive for both car and home. A lot for the car, marginal for the house.

Off to school now, will try some more later tonight.

#8 LuckyMummy ♥♥

Posted 17 February 2017 - 02:16 PM

Allianz have always been the cheapest for my house and car when I first took them out. Used to be with RACV but switched. Allianz has free roadside assist after the first year too, so that's an extra saving.

They're both due for review though, been with Allianz for a few years now.

#9 Nasty Start

Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:07 PM

I took out Roadside Assist for the first time this year - have always been near mechanic dad or XH. I'll check out Allianz.

#10 Tinkle Splashes

Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:09 PM

It's important to look at the benefits of each policy, as well as just the price.

ie when my DS was looking for third party car insurance, RAC was the cheapest.  I looked at the policy and they would only cover him for accidents with uninsured drivers.  If he had an accident with an insured driver he wouldn't have been covered, even if the other driver's insurance company sought to be reimbursed their expenses in the event that an accident was DS's fault.

So, he went with a slightly more expensive policy that will pay for third party damage irrespective of whether the third party is insured.

#11 nasty snaugh

Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:18 PM

Please make sure you have the cover you need, not just the cheapest price.

It's boring AF, but read the PDS, understand the exclusions and the level of cover. Call the insurer and ask questions if you're not sure.

Price is just one thing to consider.

#12 SeaPrincess

Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:19 PM

We've never made a claim.

We used to be with AAMI for everything, but when we bought our current house, we got a quote from ANZ, and it was in the same ballpark for premiums, but better coverage for things like laptops, etc.  The next time my car insurance was due for renewal, AAMI had reduced the value of the car by so much that we couldn't have replaced it with the same vehicle without spending at least another $5K and they wouldn't increase the value, so we switched to RAC (in WA).

#13 c.sanders

Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:24 PM

Nrma turned out to be the cheapest for us. Almost the same as coles. They did say it's based on how many claims they get I'm a certain area and I'm assuming very fee people around here have nrma hence why it was so cheap. They wanted an extra $400 if I changed my location to my mums place which is a much nicer and more expensive suburb. Anyway. I'm very happy with them. I am also grateful to have the extra windscreen protection. I've made 3 claims so far.  Super easy.

#14 Sparklemax

Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:34 PM

We have both cars and home & contents with Youi. Had to claim twice, no issues at all. Also receive a discount for having it all with the same insurer.

One of the cars is up for renewal, might check out coles to see if they are any better.

#15 jayskette

Posted Yesterday, 12:03 AM

no point going by reputation alone. make sure you read the PDS of each, all the insurances you consider will be DIFFERENT. even the product you believe to be the same from aami would have changed at leadt once every year or few years. if you still love aami, pretend you are a new customer and get an online quote, instant savings there.

the reason i shop around at least once a year is my dh is on a probationary licence. each company treat probationaries differently too...

Edited by jayskette, Yesterday, 12:06 AM.

#16 Nasty Start

Posted Yesterday, 12:16 AM

View Postnasty snaugh, on 17 February 2017 - 04:18 PM, said:

Please make sure you have the cover you need, not just the cheapest price.

It's boring AF, but read the PDS, understand the exclusions and the level of cover. Call the insurer and ask questions if you're not sure.

Price is just one thing to consider.

I agree which is why I said in my pending post I imagine I can get cheaper but am not sure they will offer the cover aI have with AAMI (which I am happy with).

That said, I checked BudgetDirect and they are dearer.

#17 jayskette

Posted Yesterday, 12:21 AM

btw OP if your policies are one of those superceded "golden policies" that covers everything, and you dont see similar products elsewhere, you might want to keep it :)

#18 Nasty Start

Posted Yesterday, 12:52 AM

Indeed

#19 SplashingRainbows

Posted Yesterday, 05:27 AM

We are with Nrma and have been for years. Multi policy discounts and maximum loyalty discounts mean our really good policies are very competitive on price.

Any time we've claimed we've been happy.

#20 lizzzard

Posted Yesterday, 05:30 AM

View PostTinkle Splashes, on 17 February 2017 - 04:09 PM, said:

It's important to look at the benefits of each policy, as well as just the price.

ie when my DS was looking for third party car insurance, RAC was the cheapest.  I looked at the policy and they would only cover him for accidents with uninsured drivers.  If he had an accident with an insured driver he wouldn't have been covered, even if the other driver's insurance company sought to be reimbursed their expenses in the event that an accident was DS's fault.

So, he went with a slightly more expensive policy that will pay for third party damage irrespective of whether the third party is insured.

Gosh, what a strange policy!

#21 JustBeige

Posted Yesterday, 06:35 AM

We went from NRMA to Youi to Woolies. they were all very similar in what you can cover/ claim but Woolies is by far the cheapest - but it will be interesting to see what happens when renewal time rolls around.

Eta. never had to claim though *touch wood*

#22 alchetta

Posted Yesterday, 06:43 AM

Haven't read all replies but my car insurance is with AAMI. I got a way cheaper policy with better small print than I had with youi before that. I got my renewal recently and felt it was a little high. Did some online comparison to find AAMI still cheapest but their online quote was cheaper than my renewal. So I just rang them and they did some magic and matched the price and then some. Very happy customer.

#23 WaitForNasty

Posted Yesterday, 08:00 AM

I can highly recommend Youi, they were great with a recent claim of ours. Had our stolen trailer processed within two weeks, whereas a friends stolen car with a different insurer, they required a 6 week wait in case the car turned up.

We are going to move everything over to Youi, as its so reassuring knowing our claims will actually be processed with minimal fuss.

My sister, on the other hand, had a horrid experience with Coles. I wouldn't go near them.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.