Although adding to our woes looks like our house is possibly being sold later this year, our lease isn't being renewed after 12 months despite impeccable rent payment and maintains of our house. So have to hope like hell if/when that happens we can stay local
Renting in Australia is a god damn farce!
Bear with me it's complex.
I have three children.
DS is in grade 1 at a catholic school 20 mins away. It's big, lots of kids which he doesn't really like about it. Is in reading recovery and it's battered his confidence a bit. Otherwise pretty settled but he catches bus to and from which is about 30 mins each way. Fair hike when you're 6. Nice school, my extended family have kids there too (not always a good thing) School fees this year just under $4000
DD1 has just started kindergarten at the local public school (for a variety of reasons mostly that we changed our minds last minute this year and enrolled her. She will be 5 in early May. Settling in ok, bright kid. Again big school - she often says it's noisy and too many kids like her brother does. School seems ok, no major dramas we live semi rural I suppose and no complaints overall in the community of the school. Minimal school fees - voluntary contribution plus the extra bits like excursions
DD2 is a baby in FDC 3 days a week while I'm at work.
We rent where we are and will be for awhile longer while we attempt to buy something where we are (1-1.5hr out of Sydney but prices still nuts). We have been here nearly a year after our last house sold from under us I'm desperate to buy but saving and renting plus raising a family it's hard slog. No family help for a deposit.
1km from our house is another catholic school which has just over 100 kids. Lovely staff and I like their teaching style and classroom management from what I observed. I'd like to ideally move both kids there resulting in fees then close to $6000 plus uniforms etc and FDC costs which will put us over $10K p.a.
So do I put $6000 toward our house deposit and send them to the public school or consider that $6000 an investment in their education and especially their social and pastoral care needs by sending them to the close by catholic school.
I'm going out of my brain trying to decide what to do. Especially in case we make the move and this house gets sold or we have to move and can't find another nearby...
Basically money for fees would be taken from what would be house savings...so what's more important?
Help wise ones
Edited by ~ river song ~, 22 February 2017 - 08:43 PM.