Due in October 2017 Chat Thread #2

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
171 replies to this topic

#76 GCBec

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:12 AM

Thanks ladies. My next scan is Thursday 16th March. I have a family friend who is an obstetrician at the Mater in Brisbane, so I'm just going to see her for next scan. I also found out that I have a septate uterus at my scan... And that increases the chance of m/c heaps. Feeling super down about it.

How did you go Shiv?

Elawood, you get the paid parental leave for 18 weeks. And then you might be eligible for family tax benefit?

#77 Bidi

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:23 AM

Weirdly enough now my MS doesn't seem as bad the last 3 days.  That is freaking me out as I am only 7w4days.

This anxiety is killing me.

#78 Shiv7897

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:26 AM

i had my scan yesterday - all was well. Clearly im just a basketcase!

#79 GCBec

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:47 AM

Shiv, that's awesome! Better to be a basket case than have your fears realised. I think it's pretty normal to worry at this point though. So so glad all was ok.

#80 GCBec

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:51 AM

Bidi, I haven't had morning sickness at all and I'm supposed to be 6 weeks 4 days. I think it's reassuring that you've had it at all. I've read heaps that it comes and goes, so maybe you're just going through a short break from it and it will be back with a vengeance tomorrow! Isn't it bizarre to be worried when you  DON'T feel sick? Haha. I've never wanted to feel sick like I do right now!

#81 elawood

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:52 AM

View PostGCBec, on 08 March 2017 - 08:12 AM, said:

Elawood, you get the paid parental leave for 18 weeks. And then you might be eligible for family tax benefit?

Yeah I think with the government legislation they are trying to pass, I won't get that. I get 12 weeks from my employer which is certainly nothing to complain about but most people I know got to have their paid employer leave and then the gov 18 weeks as well - I don't think we'll get that and I had been banking on it when we planned this.
I think we do get family tax benefit, I looked it up yesterday. Just saving like a madwoman since I'll never be able to save like this again! I earn more than DP so I'll have to go back to work after the baby's born. Also not sure what capacity my workplace will be able to have me in. So stressful!

Glad your scan was all good Shiv. :)

#82 Pigling_

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:29 AM

Elawood- regarding the changes to parental leave. Nothing has been passed as yet and even if it does (which I sincerely hope it doesn't!) it has been stated that it won't affect women who are ceuurently pregnant. For example, the new rules may come into effect as of January 2018.

So, you will still be entitled to take both your employer and the government parental leave. Obviously double check this but I am in the same situation and am not worried.

#83 Ksout

Posted 08 March 2017 - 12:06 PM

Very excited for our first scan on friday!! I got a text yesterday letting me know I didn't get into our local midwife group practice at the hospital. Really bummed. I would have loved the one on one with a midwife for this bub.  They said they'd get in touch if there's any cancellations. Seems wrong to hope that someone is moved out of it due to complications or high risk so I get a spot :(

Still no ms which is fabulous although my boobs seem to be getting their own postcode lol. Hubby saw them last night while I was getting ready for bed  and asked where they came from lol. Is anybody else finding they are really sore with their underwire bras? I don't really want to switch to no wire just yet plus I need the extra padding of my current bras cos it gets super cold at work and I really don't need to have headlights haha.

#84 GCBec

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:09 PM

I second that. IF the legislation passes, the human services website says it will take effect for children born after January. That's another reason I'm bummed if this is a m/c.... My next pregnancy might not make it by the cut off!

#85 elawood

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:27 PM

oh really!? That's awesome! I looked at centrelink yesterday and it had a disclaimer that legislation was subject to change but hadn't yet been passed...where did you see the january date Bec?

It would be a game changer for us that's for sure!

#86 Gerbera2015

Posted 08 March 2017 - 01:30 PM

Yes I've been avoiding underwire for about 2 weeks. I'm a 12E so not exactly small, but they are soooooooo much comfier!

I got some maternity bras, just like the fabric sports bra type ones, and they are a V shape so they are actually quite nice to wear

#87 IShallWearTinsel

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:29 PM

we are banking on the PPL as well. Im self employed ( I contract to a school) so dont have any leave.

#88 GCBec

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:46 PM

If you google it you will find it cited in the media a fair bit. I can't seem to find where I saw it on the human services website but I'm reading about it elsewhere now. It will commence 1 January, 1 April, 1 July or 1 October that occurs 9 months after the Bill receives Royal Assent, with an earliest commencement date of 1 January 2018. So basically, if it isn't passed this month it won't come in until April (if it's passed at all).  It would also increase from 18 weeks to 20 weeks so that would help IshallWearMidnight!

#89 GCBec

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:52 PM

It actually annoys me a bit how the media call it "double dipping" like we're doing something dishonest and wrong! It replaced the baby bonus which everyone was entitled to and wasn't means tested. Tony Abbott wanted women to get six months off... That was the grand plan. And now women are accessing it the way it was designed to work... The media makes it look like we're defrauding the commonwealth. Look, if they want to change the rules that's fine... But couldn't they do that without making the women who access it seem like they're doing the wrong thing? Haha. This gets me on my soap box!

#90 Pigling_

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:00 PM

View PostGCBec, on 08 March 2017 - 07:52 PM, said:

It actually annoys me a bit how the media call it "double dipping" like we're doing something dishonest and wrong! It replaced the baby bonus which everyone was entitled to and wasn't means tested. Tony Abbott wanted women to get six months off... That was the grand plan. And now women are accessing it the way it was designed to work... The media makes it look like we're defrauding the commonwealth. Look, if they want to change the rules that's fine... But couldn't they do that without making the women who access it seem like they're doing the wrong thing? Haha. This gets me on my soap box!

You and me both Bec!

#91 nikki_205

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:06 PM

I too hate the term "double dipping". Employers have said "we know 18 weeks isn't long enough with your child, we'll pay you for an additional 10/12/14 weeks so you can stay home longer". And the government has come back and said "nope. 20 weeks max".

Employers will stop paying maternity leave, of course, so it's not going to save them much in the long run anyway. I hope it doesn't pass.

#92 GCBec

Posted 09 March 2017 - 06:08 AM

Kscout...good luck with your scan!! I don't have any ms either but my boobs are really sore. It definitely is a bit uncomfortable wearing tighter bras. Maybe you could buy those adhesive nipple covers?? Then you could wear a comfy bra with no high beams!

Bummer about the midwife situation. I've got my fingers and toes crossed that you might still get in there xx

#93 GCBec

Posted 09 March 2017 - 06:13 AM

Nikki -  I get 14 weeks from my employer. But who wants to go back when baby is only 3 months old? Especially if you're wanting to breast feed etc. Perhaps some women can manage it, but I know I will struggle when it comes time.

#94 Shiv7897

Posted 09 March 2017 - 06:46 AM

yeah the double dipping term is awful, especially since the original design of the policy was for mothers to have access to both to extend the time they could stay home with their babies.

#95 elawood

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:27 AM

Totally agree! Double dipping is such a nasty term. And we are so far behind the 8 ball when it comes to international maternity leave. I read that somewhere in Scandinavia mothers get a year's PAID maternity from the government!

It's not like we'll be sipping cocktails and slacking off during mat leave!

#96 strawberryblonde76

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:37 PM

Does anyone else find they are getting really cold?! I'm not at all a cold person usually among the last in a jumper etc but so cold at the moment, I vaguely recall this from my last pregnancy. Doesn't help that Sydney has suddenly gone from 40 degree summer to 18 degree autumn overnight!

I had another scan with the OB yesterday, all was well with heart rate of 160bpm. He could see another 'blob' in the sac (not the yolk) which he was a bit unsure about, but def not a twin (no heart beat). Wondering if whatever it is might be responsbile for my bleeding last week and continued brown spotting (sorry TMI!)

Anyway back again next Wed, on weekly scans due to two miscarriages 2015/16 and ivf etc etc.

How is everyone else going? And yes...don't get me started n mat leave! When I had my first there was no government one AT ALL so at least it;s improved since then.

Shiv: have you got another scan or not til 12 weeks? Are you doing Harmony or whatever or not given you;re PGD?

#97 Shiv7897

Posted 09 March 2017 - 01:14 PM

I'm meeting with an OB at 8 weeks and another at 10 weeks, but unless they scan me no formal scans until 12 weeks. I really struggle with the lack of follow up given ivf but they tell me this is normal.

Not sure about harmony. Not sure if it tests different things to pgs? Don't want to repeat what I've already done but if it's going to provide further info that could be helpful

#98 Ksout

Posted 09 March 2017 - 02:58 PM

View PostGerbera2015, on 08 March 2017 - 01:30 PM, said:

Yes I've been avoiding underwire for about 2 weeks. I'm a 12E so not exactly small, but they are soooooooo much comfier!

I got some maternity bras, just like the fabric sports bra type ones, and they are a V shape so they are actually quite nice to wear

Do you mind if I ask where you got them Gerbera? I'm only a 16C but I'm starting to be uncomfortable.

I spoke to one of the other ladies in my fertility clinic fb group yesterday about the midwife group thing. Her bub was born last month. She said she was denied entry to the group practice as well and when she asked the OB at one of her antenatal clinic appointments he told her it was because she was having an ivf baby. Now that just strikes me as ridiculous. Just because we don't conceive naturally doesn't mean we are automatically high risk. Has anyone else heard that?

#99 Gerbera2015

Posted 09 March 2017 - 04:46 PM

Just from target, nowhere flash, I think they were $20 or $25 for two of them, black and white

#100 elawood

Posted 09 March 2017 - 05:00 PM

View Poststrawberryblonde76, on 09 March 2017 - 12:37 PM, said:

Does anyone else find they are getting really cold?! I'm not at all a cold person usually among the last in a jumper etc but so cold at the moment, I vaguely recall this from my last pregnancy. Doesn't help that Sydney has suddenly gone from 40 degree summer to 18 degree autumn overnight!

Oh my god, totally the opposite, I am boiling hot! Nights haven't even been that warm over here yet I am insisting on the a/c being on all night...and then throwing covers off me. Never been hotter in my life. Driving me bonkers.

I might appreciate it when I'm pregnant over winter I guess!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.