Just found out I'm pregnant! Can you recommend an obstetrician etc please

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Mrsfroste

Posted 05 March 2017 - 04:52 PM

Heya
So I've just found out I'm pregnant! I've been to see my doctor and I'll get the blood results tomorrow but 5 positive hpts is a pretty good indication... He mentioned that hubby and I need to decide/or start thinking about if we will go public or private etc. We are leaning towards private and I wanted to get some recommendations for a few obstetricians.

It's our first so this is all quite new and a bit overwhelming ;) so any help is appreciated!

Thanks

#2 Bone Apple Tea

Posted 05 March 2017 - 05:16 PM

Sending you a pm.

I don't think we are allowed to name doctors on here.

#3 Mrsfroste

Posted 05 March 2017 - 05:36 PM

Thank you!

#4 harryhoo

Posted 05 March 2017 - 07:10 PM

I have done both private and public in Canberra and if I was to go again I would definitely go public. Obviously everybody's experience will be different but I can't recommend TCH enough. I actually ended up getting accepted into the CaTCH program at about 30 weeks but prior to that I was going to the antenatal clinic and seeing my GP (shared care).
The delivery suites were so much better than the one I had privately - bigger, newer and had baths in the room. The bath wasn't available when I went privately. Also, my obstetrician who I had paid a lot of money for wasn't even at the birth (which I totally get happens and was more than happy with the ob who delivered No 1). I also found TCH had better post-natal care in the hospital (they don't force you to leave and actually insisted I stayed an extra night, so I was there for three nights all up) and they had great follow up care afterwards.
My obstetrician was great, mind you, but with a fairly uncomplicated pregnancy (although 2 fairly traumatic births) I didn't see the need second time around. If you have a chance do the tours of the local hospitals.

#5 MumOfThreenager

Posted 05 March 2017 - 07:26 PM

The Birth Centre at TCH. Continuity of care, midwives visit you at home for appointments and post-natal checkups, very thorough care and low intervention birth. The birthing rooms are lovely, they have big baths and double beds for your partner to stay with you.

#6 babybug15

Posted 05 March 2017 - 09:56 PM

I know you were looking for private obs, but having looked at both public & private options in Canberra I chose & was extremely happy with the public system. I did shared care with my GP and didn't see an obstetrican until I was 41weeks- but until then I was a "textbook normal pregnancy".

I toured Calvery (public & private) & TCH and also got information about John James (not sure if they still do the tours this was 2.5 years ago). I spoke to a doctor friend (not an obs).

I had a good experience at TCH- I wasn't pressured to leave the hospital before I was ready and had midwives visit at home who were able to refer us back to the hospital. Also the women's health physio team were brilliant and ran pregnancy/postnatal exercise classes which were very good.

I have heard excellent things about the CaTCH program and the Birth Centre. I know people who have chosen to go to Queanbeyan and people who were very happy with their private obs at both Calvery & JJ.

So, there are more options than just public vs private... I'd look at what support you want before/during/after, what type of birth you might want and if there are any specific health concerns you have.

And congratulations!

#7 MGB

Posted 11 March 2017 - 06:20 PM

Queanbeyan has an excellent Maternity service. Happy for you to PM me if you have any questions.

Congratulations!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.