Food

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kSel86

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:40 AM

Just curious, thought I would start a little discussion on what DO and DONT you all eat and why??

If I could stomach it I would still have a coffee each day but would limit it to one.. not 3 or 4 like I used to have.

Also would still eat ham and cook chook (my fav thing ever) but alas cant stomach those either atm. Just wondering why people choose not to eat these. Is it because of the risk of food poisoning or is there something in it that pregnant women should not have??

I do stay away from shell fish and alcohol obviously and also soft drink which I rarely had before anyway.

Edited by kSel86, 06 March 2017 - 10:40 AM.

#2 Pigling_

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:49 AM

Good topic!

Like you I would happily have my morning coffee - I usually only have one a day anyway but have gone right off it the last month or so.

Was craving ham and salad sandwiches last week but am avoiding anything from the deli - I just don't like the idea of it sitting out for who knows how long. So I bought a little vacuum packed leg ham, stored correctly in the fridge and happily ate that. Have had salami cooked on pizza but wouldn't eat it raw.

I don't eat a lot of seafood and only if it's cooked stuff so no issues there.

I do miss my pre packed salads though. I adore the kaleslaw mix from Coles and have thought about getting it and just washing it first, I'm sure that would be fine.

Have had cooked chook as well, not much but as long as it's hot when I get it and stored properly I think it's probably ok.

No soft cheeses. Have been having more juice and lemonade than I usually do- would have very little- as it settles my tummy sometimes. No alcohol obviously but would have a glass of champers if it was a special occasion.

#3 Bidi

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:58 AM

Ham and chicken because of listeria (food poisoning) but seriously my dr has also said to just to be sensible.  My friends OB told her to eat as much Australian soft cheese as she wanted because it would be pasteurised.

Like you I am struggling but find chicken by far the easiest thing to stomach.  I buy a few cooked chickens at the start of the week for the kids dinner/lunches anyway.  Ham I am not sure if I could stomach - maybe in a toasted sandwich.  

Alcohol wouldn't get past my smell aversion even if it was allowed.  My husband kissed me on Saturday night after drinking a beer and I nearly vomited on him.  Coffee is about the same but if/when I can I will limit it to 1 a day.  Here's hoping!!!

I found with my last pregnancy that I ate really bland foods for the first 14 weeks just in survival mode.  I think this will be the same.  I could live off hot chips and gravy if I allowed myself too.

After the MS eases i generally just go back to eating much of my regular diet.  I do Isagenix smithies for breakfast and loveeee salad (not ATM though) for lunch and dinner.  

My main rules are the meat and eggs need to be cooked.  Like you I don't drink soft drink but really steer clear of diet drinks with aspartame when pregnant.

Most food is safe and if sensible can be enjoyed all throughout pregnancy.

#4 Amz84

Posted 06 March 2017 - 07:03 PM

I'm struggling with coffee / dairy so definitely missing my morning coffee, I bought decaf nespresso on the weekend but it's still not sitting right in my stomach!

Anything with Vegemite is my saviour at the moment, loving Vegemite toast and Vegemite saladas (hello carbs haha)

I'm really struggling with the proteins - not very interested in meat at the moment, however I did have snags on the weekend (nice and simple) and bolognaise sauce last night for dinner (yum pasta, more carbs!)...

OB said just to be sensible so I'm avoiding soft cheeses, deli meats, preprepared salads/sandwiches, soft eggs alcohol etc. I did ask him about sushi and as long as it's not raw (ie chicken or cooked prawn or cooked tuna) and its fresh, it's not a great concern - so have definitely been eating a bit of sushi (our local sushi restaurant makes the sushi in front of you, it's super fresh..!). Apparently Japanese women even eat raw fish throughout their pregnancies but I (think) I can survive nine months without sashimi... He also said cooked seafood (hot or cold) is fine, as long as it's fresh - so avoid buffets, cooked supermarket prawns etc. I love my seafood so I was super happy to hear this!!!

#5 Ninja.Ivy

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:45 AM

I'm not a big coffee drinker anyway but at the moment the thought of it turns my stomach, so no problems there. I have had a couple of cans of coke - I'm not usually big on soft drinks either but they helped to get me going in a 'low energy emergency'.

I am normally a water only drinker, but I have drunk SO much cordial in the last few weeks. Plain water has suddenly made me feel really sick.

The biggest things I'm craving and missing right now is sushi and a chicken salad sandwich. I actually really like cooked tuna sushi, which has tempted me, but I'm not sure. Hubby had sushi a couple of weeks ago while we were out shopping and I was so desperate I ended up dipping a chopstick in wasabi and soy sauce and licking it off - how pathetic can you get :huh:  

The chicken salad sandwich I could just make for myself but I haven't done any cooking at all since the nausea hit so it hasn't happened.

I'm avoiding soft eggs, cold ham/salami, prepackaged salads etc but my diet has been totally wacky anyway because of the nausea.

I have craved a Boost juice a few times but read somewhere its not safe either which was annoying. I guess they pre-chop all their fruit/veg in advance which could be an issue.

I have read that after all, if you DO get listeria while pregnant, as long as it is picked up, they can just give you medication and it won't be an issue. Obviously its not desirable but maybe not necessary to live in total paranoia for 9 months.

Edited by Ninja.Ivy, 09 March 2017 - 09:45 AM.

#6 Gerbera2015

Posted 09 March 2017 - 06:50 PM

I've had fresh sushi a couple of times, only the chicken ones, and no mayo as I'm not sure how it's made so easier to avoid.

Been having fully cooked eggs no worries.

Watched hubby have eggs benedict in front of me a few times. Torture.

I generally am eating the same as before as most things I eat are safe, only a few minor changes needed.

I've had a cafe brought coffee daily, mid sized one and only one shot, with maybe 3-4 days overall where I've had a second one. I've just been mindful to keep the caffeine down, I used to have 2-3 daily.

I've still been drinking heaps of water, I aim for 2L a day, sometimes I do mor, and others I don't quite make it to that.

#7 Eliloulou

Posted 13 March 2017 - 07:41 PM

I still drink coffee, 2 cups a day on average, sometimes 1 and sometimes 3 on a really bad exhaustion day. I avoid all deli meats and salad and soft cheeses and won't eat pre-packaged salads and spinach leaves etc. I'm not sure if I wash them before I eat them if they would be ok or not. I also wont have soft serve ice cream or maccas thick shakes etc or eat subway etc. I also rarely drink soft drinks or sugary drinks but will have a powerade if I'm feeling dehydrated. It can be a real struggle but I am one of those absolute panic freaks having had 2 miscarriages I would rather go without than risk anything. I know the coffee isn't ideal but its only instant coffee and from research its not the worst thing you can do. I've had a few cappucinos but I find they make me feel a bit crook so avoid them now, and anything creamy instantly turns my stomach. I actually don't have the desire to eat much at all at the moment.

Edited by Eliloulou, 13 March 2017 - 07:44 PM.

#8 e_vonny

Posted 14 March 2017 - 04:48 PM

I will try to follow the "rules" but I've been making exceptions. We had our anniversary dinner out at an expensive restaurant on the weekend. I'd booked it months ago. I wasn't going to limit my food there! I ended up eating raw fish and runny egg amongst other things! I also ate the rest of the brie I bought before I found out I was pregnant haha. However, going forward, I will try to follow the guidelines.

The main rules are pinned in the Pregnancy Tips forum section if anyone hasn't seen it yet. It's mainly a list of things that are linked to outbreaks of Listeria or Salmonella. With some of the things like deli meats, you can minimise risk by buying the prepackaged versions (not the open version) and then heating it before eating.
I will miss steak though. I can't deal with well done steak. It makes me cry. And I've been switching my poached egg breakfasts to scrambled.

I've cut my coffee. I only have a coffee occasionally now (decaf even). I drink more tea instead - teabag tea - not the strong tea leaves. No alcohol.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.