Jump to content
D&C when breastfeeding newborn
8 replies to this topic
Posted 24 March 2017 - 04:58 AM
I am having an ultrasound today to look for retained placenta as my bleeding post birth is apparently excessive. The gp thinks it's highly likely there is something left in there.
I'm told I'll need a D&C if they find placenta. This has me freaking out a lot. I've never had surgery before, and I have a 9 day old baby who is breastfed.
How does it work when you're breastfeeding? I'm no good at expressing and bub has never had a bottle.
Also I'm told it can be done under general or local. Which is best, if I get a choice?
And finally, is it an option to wait and see if my body expels the products itself or is that dangerous?
Posted 24 March 2017 - 07:48 AM
I'm facing surgery to remove a breast lump a few weeks after my baby is born. I'm told that it's safe to have a general while breastfeeding and that I only need to express enough for a few feeds, not a full 24 hours. My issue will be more about the wound to the breast itself. The surgeon insisted it must be a general.
I've had two D&Cs and it was insisted that they be under a general as well.
We were wondering what do to with the baby for the day, but the recent advice from a lactation consultant was to take the baby to the hospital, feed before surgery, and feed as soon after as I can manage. Husband can feed baby in between those times with expressed milk. I see the midwife today so I'll ask her as well.
Edited by Louise_M, 24 March 2017 - 07:49 AM.
Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:42 PM
My 4 week old is mixed fed. She happily goes from breast to bottle and back the other way.
I had a large bleed during/after delivery by an emergency Caesar and lost 2.5L. As bub was starving and I was still being worked on so she was given formula in a bottle with DHs consent. The next day she latches perfectly on the breast. Due to supply issues related to the delivery and blood loss I had to do formula top ups and still do.
My point is your baby may happily take a bottle if you try ?Are you happy for a formula top up if you can't express enough just until surgery is over and you're feeling ok? Something you probably need to discuss with whoever will be caring for bub.
Perhaps you could grab a bottle to try today in case to see how bubs goes? You could try with expressed milk or formula to see how it goes.
Talk to your OB/ hospital about your concerns as it's important you are healthy and I doubt waiting is a good idea if you need to surgery.
DD will take any bottle but I found pigeon brand the best as the slow tests make them suck like they do on the breast. LCs and midwives usually can recommend bottles that EBF babies like. The hospital LC recommended pigeon.
Good luck OP
Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:54 PM
I had an operation when my son was a week old. We fed to schedule right up until the surgery, which was delayed a long time. In the end they waited until I fed my son and then I went in. Had two expressed bottles for DS when I was in theatre, only one was used.
Posted 24 March 2017 - 02:47 PM
Thanks for the comments. I had my ultrasound and there is retained placenta. See my gp Monday.
I'm not keen on giving him formula if I can avoid it. I will try to express enough for 1 feed though.
We have so much going on atm, this just feels like the straw that broke the camels back
Posted 24 March 2017 - 02:52 PM
I can understand OP - I'm a FTM and this newborn phase is tough. I'm still recovering from my DDs difficult birth, blood loss and the tiredness. I'm sure you're much the same given the circumstances. Hang in there!
Posted 24 March 2017 - 03:05 PM
I had D&C for retained Placenta. Unfortunately it wasn't until 6 weeks. I was very unwell, little man wasn't feeding properly and I had trouble expressing because my body still thought it was pregnant.
I ended up bottle feeding, as I don't like the thought of the General anaesthetic getting through to the breast milk.
He was fine. But, after a manual removal of placenta during labour I was pretty much scarred for life, so there was no way I was going to go through that pain again without a General. I find it hard to believe that they would do under a local.
Don't worry, its only 24 hours. Either express some milks, or give a top up bottle feed. Baby will be fine. All teh best hope it all goes well .
Edited to add, He went back to BF after and was happy for the extra feed
Edited by mumoffivepoppets, 24 March 2017 - 03:07 PM.
Posted 24 March 2017 - 03:06 PM
One of the things that might be impacting your milk supply is retained placenta.
You are doing an amazing job.
You've got this. It might be worth calling the Aba for hints and tips re feeding and expressing.
Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:08 PM
I had surgery when DD was 4 months and fully (exclusively) breastfed. She had never had a bottle of any kind. Some things I did that helped:
- Called mothersafe for accurate information and reassurance around having a GA while breastfeeding
- Called the anaesthetist in advance to arrange a plan
- Spoke to the surgeon about the plan arranged with the anaesthetist
- Arranged with the hospital for DH and DD to stay with me in my room before and after surgery (you may be able to arrange to stay in the maternity ward since your bub is so young)
- Expressed milk and saved it in syringes for DH to feed bottle-refusing DD while I was actually in surgery
- Asked for an early time slot so I didn't have to fast as long, in the hope of avoiding dehydration
- When the surgery time slot got repeatedly pushed back to later in the day, the anaesthetist called me each time and gave me permission to drink water based on the estimated new surgery time.
- The anaesthetist hooked me up with an extra saline drip to combat dehydration - I actually asked for an additional one after surgery, which was given to me no problems, it really helped.
- DH was waiting in my room with DD as soon as I came out of surgery. DD was hysterical because she didn't like any of the syringes of EBM I had provided, so I gave her a feed right away and she settled immediately.
All up, it was pretty manageable. I was gone for about 5 hours, from the time I was wheeled down to prepare for theatre, until after I came out of recovery. It didn't sync terribly well with DD's sleep that day - she was already asleep when I left for theatre, so she went without a feed for longer than the five hours I was gone.
She and DH survived, and he managed to get her back to sleep for a while, by walking her in the pram. She had a massive feed as soon as I got back, then had a huge sleep. She was in a bassinet in my room, and DH slept on a foldout bed beside me - when she woke in the night, DH brought her over to me because I was immobile for a few days post surgery.
If you have the option of a local, that's definitely something to explore, because you shouldn't have to fast – fasting (and not drinking) can make you dehydrated which is a challenge with breastfeeding. That said, maintaining breastfeeding is definitely possible even with a general anaesthetic. Talk to your doctor and your hospital about putting together a plan to make it work.
Edited for typos and autocorrects.
Edited by wannabe30, 25 March 2017 - 07:23 AM.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users
Top 5 Viewed Articles