Cost for Private Hospital (no insurnace) - Canberra

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#51 Cimbom

Posted 30 March 2017 - 09:04 PM

So what's their policy wording? That seems bizarre. Wouldn't that mean that any expenses prior to the birth would not be covered as well? Or do they cover that but not the birth itself if it's before the waiting period has finished?

#52 harryhoo

Posted 30 March 2017 - 09:20 PM

You can have an elective C-section at TCH, The facilities at the Women's and Children's Hospital in Canberra are far better than the John James ones. I had DS at JJ and had DD at TCH - despite having PHI to cover another private birth. I would go TCH hands down if I had a third. The delivery suites were so much better.
I stayed for the same amount of time in both hospitals. I had one of the best OBs in Canberra attend DD's birth at TCH (I went through the CaTCH program, but gave birth in the delivery suite due to medical history rather than the birthing suites). I paid thousands of dollars out of pocket to my OB when I went private - and she didn't even come to DS's birth (which was fine, but just be warned).
TCH had me booked into a lactation consultant before I gave birth and said they would after too if need be. All free.
They also have an amazing FMU and NICU should anything go wrong.

#53 Stylus

Posted 30 March 2017 - 11:04 PM

Soontobegran, on 30 March 2017 - 06:46 PM, said:

This is most unlikely to happen. There needs to be a 12 months waiting period before a pregnancy.

My DD had PHI but not for obstetrics as she was not expecting to need it.
She'd been with the fund since we started her in it 12 years previously. She offered to back pay the amount needed for obstetric cover and pay the entire new year at the new rate but they said no.
She then tried 4 other funds....all said no.

I know about the existence of waiting periods. I'm just telling the OP what I heard about one health fund ...which was that where there was a small shortfall between the end of the waiting period for obstetrics cover and the arrival of a baby, the health fund would backdate the start of the additional cover. Obviously they are not going to backdate the start of the cover by a full 12 months - I'm talking about a few weeks!

It can't be that unlikely if it was standard practice at this particular insurer where my friend worked. Anyway, I appreciate that the OP's particular insurer has declined the request.

#54 born.a.girl

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:18 AM

Cimbom, on 30 March 2017 - 09:04 PM, said:

So what's their policy wording? That seems bizarre. Wouldn't that mean that any expenses prior to the birth would not be covered as well? Or do they cover that but not the birth itself if it's before the waiting period has finished?

There was a thread on this a year or two ago, and a number of people had had issues with babies being born early, and not covered.

Can't remember the specifics, but there was certainly not an extremely clear 'all health funds will cover based on due date, not actual date'.

I'd have thought most things prior to the birth would be only medicare related rather than 'private hospital' related.  I had zero to do with the private hospital I used until the actual day.

#55 Wonderstruck

Posted 31 March 2017 - 07:50 AM

http://www.hcf.com.au/faqs/#pregnancy - My insurer HCF says 12 months prior to giving birth. I didn't dig up the PDS as mine is an older product.

I think this is fairly common rather than using due date as you don't use the service until the baby is born. My OB said approx 5% of babies are born on their due date when DD rocked up on hers. I can see why most funds would just go with when you use it.

I used PHI for hospital classes and a tens machine but that was under extras. I did not claim hospital cover until DD was born.

It's the same for adding a baby to a policy with my fund. There is a 2 month waiting period so the fund recommended adding the baby a month earlier than that to ensure you meet the waiting period.

While it sucks when the difference is that small but from the insurers perspective the waiting period is clearly disclosed.

The OP could stop paying that level of cover if she wishes knowing they won't cover her for pregnancy saving herself some money.

OP sounds like there are some great options in Canberra :) I agree with most, I did private for a few reasons including health issues but if you are in area for a good public hospital it will be fine :)

#56 SeaPrincess

Posted 02 April 2017 - 11:19 PM

Wonderstruck, on 31 March 2017 - 07:50 AM, said:

It's the same for adding a baby to a policy with my fund. There is a 2 month waiting period so the fund recommended adding the baby a month earlier than that to ensure you meet the waiting period.

Do you mean the baby has to wait 2 months? That hasn't been our experience with our fund. DS2 was admitted a few days after his 3 weeks early arrival and he was fully covered.

#57 Wonderstruck

Posted 03 April 2017 - 01:08 AM

I've known people with the same fund as me to have had issues if bub is admitted and they didn't convert to a family policy/add the baby within a certain time frame of the birth - I was told that was 2 months before the due date and to give a bit of leeway for early birth when I enquired with the fund. I've heard that one argued if issues were faced on occasion. Of course always good to check as the funds have different rules and this can change.

Edited by Wonderstruck, 03 April 2017 - 01:17 AM.

#58 MrsLexiK

Posted 03 April 2017 - 07:53 AM

Wonderstruck, on 03 April 2017 - 01:08 AM, said:

I've known people with the same fund as me to have had issues if bub is admitted and they didn't convert to a family policy/add the baby within a certain time frame of the birth - I was told that was 2 months before the due date and to give a bit of leeway for early birth when I enquired with the fund. I've heard that one argued if issues were faced on occasion. Of course always good to check as the funds have different rules and this can change.
That makes sense me and DH had a family policy anyway so just had to phone up. Thankfully our fund didn't charge an excess for kids when he was admitted!

#59 Wonderstruck

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:03 AM

Same for us. No excess when DD was in special care nursery.

#60 SeaPrincess

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:05 AM

MrsLexiK, on 03 April 2017 - 07:53 AM, said:

That makes sense me and DH had a family policy anyway so just had to phone up. Thankfully our fund didn't charge an excess for kids when he was admitted!

Same. I've always had obstetrics on my cover, even when I was single, so when I added DH, it became a family policy. To drop obstetrics would save me $2/month on our family policy. I can't understand why people leave it to the last minute to add it.

I assumed that once you were covered for pregnancy and birth, the resulting baby would be covered. You learn something new every day.

#61 Wonderstruck

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:14 AM

Ours was a couples policy until we added DD.

#62 born.a.girl

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:17 AM

SeaPrincess, on 03 April 2017 - 08:05 AM, said:

Same. I've always had obstetrics on my cover, even when I was single, so when I added DH, it became a family policy. To drop obstetrics would save me $2/month on our family policy. I can't understand why people leave it to the last minute to add it.

I assumed that once you were covered for pregnancy and birth, the resulting baby would be covered. You learn something new every day.

Maybe it's the difference between a single (with obstetrics) and a family policy ???

25 years ago and can't remember now, but I know our daughter was covered from birth on a family policy - whether I let them know or not I've no idea, however there were also not separate policies with/without obstetrics back then, either.

Friend had a baby a day after me, eight weeks early in the public system, and was able to have him transferred to a private hospital very near where they lived once she was discharged, but he had to stay - so only a matter of days after his birth. She had no PHI but her partner did, and he was added to his policy.  Must ask how that worked.

#63 born.a.girl

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:18 AM

Is couples cheaper than family?

I was always under the impression that it was the same.  Both my hospital and extras are policies no longer offered, and I have difficulty working out if we'd be better off with couples (in our sixties).

#64 Wonderstruck

Posted 03 April 2017 - 09:16 AM

It was fo us. Added about $15/month to add DD/ change to family

Edited by Wonderstruck, 03 April 2017 - 09:16 AM.

#65 SeaPrincess

Posted 03 April 2017 - 09:19 AM

born.a.girl, on 03 April 2017 - 08:18 AM, said:

Is couples cheaper than family?

I believe so, because it doesn't include obstetrics, which is why people end up in the situation where they don't have cover in time for the delivery.

https://www.medibank...urance/couples/

#66 Wonderstruck

Posted 03 April 2017 - 09:23 AM

Our couples policy did include obstetrics...it's all very confusing between funds

#67 born.a.girl

Posted 03 April 2017 - 10:04 AM

SeaPrincess, on 03 April 2017 - 09:19 AM, said:

I believe so, because it doesn't include obstetrics, which is why people end up in the situation where they don't have cover in time for the delivery.

https://www.medibank...urance/couples/

We don't have obstetrics in our cover though.  Our hospital policy is no longer available, so it gets a bit harder to compare with others even within the same fund.  It's still shown as 'family' as opposed to 'couples'.  In the past, there was only 'single' and 'family'. There are so many more options now, and I don't know if we're in the wrong one.

We don't have obstetrics or any sort of weight loss surgery included, so it's not that.

#68 Jingleflea

Posted 03 April 2017 - 10:32 AM

PHI is confusing and annoying.

I had PHi for years, went in and asked if I was covered for obstetrics, was told no.

Got pregnant, went back in to ask about something, said I know I'm not covered for the birth but am I covered for anything? They said, you are covered for the birth...
So no idea why I was told I wasn't. She was looking at my policy in front of me on the computer screen.

It doesn't help they change the packages every few years or more often, change the name, put the price up yearly,drop some things, add others and they wonder WHY people are dropping out!

#69 happymezzie

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:54 PM

Nothing wrong with public hospital. Save your money and go public. Besides if anything happens while you are paying privately at a private hospital you could be out tens of thousands more than you actually expected. I wouldn't risk it.

FYI

My sister had her baby in private it cost her out of pocket $500 excess and $5000 for the doctor.

Edited by happymezzie, 03 April 2017 - 09:00 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.