Sacred Space #24 03/04/17

• Please log in to reply
135 replies to this topic

#1 lucky 2

Posted 03 April 2017 - 10:00 PM

Hello,

It's time for a new Sacred Space thread. :)

Here is the link to the previous thread-
http://www.essential...pace-23-050515/

Kind regards,

lucky 2

#2 Datrys

Posted 03 April 2017 - 11:09 PM

Today I'm thankful for a new thread.  :p

No, seriously, had a lovely very relaxed day today.  School holidays, my day off, and DD and I didn't do anything more demanding than walk down to the local shops.  Thankful for that relaxed, positive time together.

(She made lots of mess which I will face tomorrow, but I'm not thinking about that now).

#3 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 03 April 2017 - 11:15 PM

Im thankful for my youngest boys personality. He's so much fun- interactive and silly and loves us to be silly with him. It was so nice to see him return to himself this afternoon after being lethargic and cuddly and sick this morning.

Edited by Bethlehem Babe, 03 April 2017 - 11:15 PM.

#4 Mose

Posted 04 April 2017 - 01:47 PM

I was shocked when I saw the "locked" symbol on the old thread in "my content". I was wondering who had said what to whom! And I am thankful this isn't that sort of a thread.

I was reminded today of how well my brother in law and his family have done since a terrible accident nearly a year ago. Man, I prayed hard that weekend, and somewhere along the way I failed to stop and be thankful that so many of the prayers that went up have been answered, especially the well being of the children who had been herded into my care, and were in a pretty horrible space.

So I am thankful for God's rich blessings on our extended family through that trial, and pray for brother in law as he resumes work this month.

#5 somila

Posted 04 April 2017 - 02:01 PM

I am thankful for bulk-billed pathology tests and kind and capable GPs.

#6 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:33 PM

I'm thankful for simple things today. Flannelette sheets. The stars.

#7 sunshine_days

Posted 05 April 2017 - 12:06 PM

Today i am thankful that yesterday went well, God is challenging me a lot lately of getting out of my comfort zone, and overcoming my shyness. I had a prophecy over me about a month ago over that.  But all went well yesterday, l led the songs and crafts...

But today l am thankful that l can have a day at home and just chill (and catch up on things around home).

Also thankful for the sun being out (as l am pretty tired and felt off the last few days) and having the sun out sure brightens the mood.

#8 Mose

Posted 05 April 2017 - 12:43 PM

I am thankful that DS could be convinced that hanging out with his sister so Mum could have coffee in peace was a good idea. He is doing a jigsaw. She is batting toys on the playmat.
I am out on the deck (I.e. about 3 feet away) drinking my coffee.

#9 Mose

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:08 PM

I am thankful for an mchn appointment where everything was a-ok. One of few ever.

And thankful for the pure, unbridled joy of DS on receiving a much desired Pokemon tin.

#10 Datrys

Posted 06 April 2017 - 09:52 PM

DD had a first play date with a school friend today.  Apparently (I wasn't there) it went really well.

So today I am thankful for budding childhood friendship.  :)

#11 Mose

Posted 07 April 2017 - 03:50 PM

View PostAnge remplie, on 06 April 2017 - 09:52 PM, said:

DD had a first play date with a school friend today.  Apparently (I wasn't there) it went really well.

So today I am thankful for budding childhood friendship.  :)

That is such lovely news Ange.  It is so pleasing as a parent, isn't it?

I am thankful for (deep breath)...feeling strong enough that although I didn't do my normal EB fast for lent this year, I reckon I can do it for holy week!

That's right, even with a 4 month old baby, I am just in such a great space, I can hardly believe it, so I'll pop in tomorrow, but otherwise see you all on the other side.  God has been so good to us - fairly easy, happy  baby, and right this minute no particular external stresses.

When I get back I will be busy trying to work out what I do and don't want to say to the congregation at DD's thanksgiving service, and preparing to become old, and have  a party to celebrate both of these.

Bestest of holy weeks to those observing Easter.

#12 la di dah

Posted 07 April 2017 - 04:02 PM

I've been having a really hard last little while but I am thankful for my husband, who I count on so much for support when I'm reeling or otherwise lonely. I honestly do not know how I could be without him.

I wish I knew G-d's will. Even if it was very unpleasant, even if I lost scads of friends, even if I keep copping it from multiple sides and when I try to do stuff I have these people running behind me working double to undo it - if I knew I was doing the right thing, I wouldn't feel so sick.

Pesach starts Monday night and I am hoping to come out the other side with more direction.

Happy Easter to those who celebrate Easter, chag sameach to those celebrating Pesach but I will probably be back in the thread before then anyway.

#13 Literally Literary

Posted 07 April 2017 - 06:57 PM

Chag Sameach, La Di Dah.

I have often wondered how people throughout history 'knew' they were doing God's will. It would be easy if there was a letter in the mail, but the signs are so nebulous and can so easily align with 'what I actually want to do'.

#14 Datrys

Posted 07 April 2017 - 08:40 PM

There's a quote I rather like from Frederick Buechner - an American Presbyterian - which says that "The place God calls you to is the place where your deep gladness and the world's deep hunger meet."

It kind of relies on the idea that God is at work deep in our hearts, long before we know or recognise it, and that our most profound and genuine human longings really echo the longings of the heart of God.  And that those longings are part of the answer to the brokenness of the world.

I don't know how much those ideas line up with any sort of Jewish spirituality, but they're probably the most useful thing I have to say to that!

#15 somila

Posted 10 April 2017 - 12:16 PM

Today I am grateful for good neighbours.

Also - came across this yesterday and thought of Ange.

https://www.churchti...nt-led-by-women

#16 Literally Literary

Posted 10 April 2017 - 12:27 PM

I am very grateful for Holy Week and the myriad opportunities to strengthen my faith and deepen my relationship with Jesus.

Edited by Literally Literary, 10 April 2017 - 12:28 PM.

#17 Datrys

Posted 10 April 2017 - 12:52 PM

Interesting read, somila.  Of course things are coloured a bit differently here than in England, but I'd say many of the same things are true.

Even recently, the first time I met my new bishop, one of the things he wanted to know was whether I was planning more children...

#18 somila

Posted 10 April 2017 - 01:17 PM

Big vs small churches being led by men or women isn't something I've ever thought about.  I suspect that the small churches require their leaders to be multi-skilled and hands-on while the larger ones might be more about 'managing' other lower level 'managers'?

#19 Datrys

Posted 10 April 2017 - 03:17 PM

Yes, that's probably right.  Also, the skills needed to make a success of a small church tend to be the "soft" skills; negotiation, relationship building, pastoral care, which many people see as strengths in women; and in larger churches the emphasis is much more on a more "corporate" style, which relates to what many people see as masculine strengths.

What I mean is, even if a woman would be great for a big church, if the people choosing their next priest-in-charge see her through a stereotypical framework of "women's strengths" they might not see her as a good fit.  

But I think the thing is that doing what it takes to get offered one of those big churches isn't something most women can or will do.  Our model of ministry still assumes that if you have a family, you have a spouse in the background making the domestic stuff work and making you available to work non-stop.  Women are more willing than men to challenge that model, but we also tend not to be given the "big" jobs, as a result.  

It's not just a matter of parishes... women are well over-represented in chaplaincies, which are seen as more family friendly roles.

#20 la di dah

Posted 10 April 2017 - 08:05 PM

Happy holidays everyone having a holiday or one coming up.

I'm always quite brittle around Passover. Much lonelier holiday period for me than December. So I decided to be kind to myself and admit that half of the reduced ability to be resilient was about that.

The other half is people being AWFUL. But I can't control that. And I can't lose my mind over it.

I talked to my brother, which is nice. I am thankful for my family. Even if they're all very far away. They made me what I am.

#21 Datrys

Posted 10 April 2017 - 09:37 PM

Hope the brittleness passes quickly, la di dah.  Holidays are often difficult times; hope you're able to find someone to connect with in a helpful way (closer than half a world away).

#22 Mose

Posted 16 April 2017 - 08:47 AM

Christ is risen.

I am thankful for EB. I hadn't realised until the last week how much a part of keeping me sane as a stay at home parent this website is.

#23 Datrys

Posted 16 April 2017 - 12:04 PM

Rejoice, heavenly powers! Sing, choirs of angels!
Exult all creation around God's throne!
Jesus Christ our King is risen!
Sound the trumpet of salvation!

Rejoice, O earth, in shining splendour,
radiant in the brightness of your King!
Christ has conquered! Glory fills you!
Darkness vanishes for ever!

Rejoice, O Mother Church! Exult in glory!
The risen Saviour shines upon you!
Let this place resound with joy,
echoing the mighty song of all God's people!

(from the exsultet, the traditional proclamation of the resurrection at the great vigil of Easter).

#24 sunshine_days

Posted 19 April 2017 - 12:55 PM

I am thankful that my knee pain is almost gone and l can go hiking this coming weekend.

Its been 12 longs years since l have done overnight hiking and after a 27 km walk down The Prom on the weekend, miss 10 loved it and now wants to join the boys on their 4 day hike. Yippee... I did hurt my knee on that hike (stress on the knee) but been taking it easy the last few days.. and no longer hurts going up or down stairs... This weekend will be pretty easy, longest km is about 16km on one day.. and we have a base camp...

Hubby kept saying "you're not as young as you used to be"WAH.. l'm not even 40 yet.... When we got back to the carpark from the walk, (walked about 21km then) there was a shuttle bus (coach) but over 70 people waiting for it... there was no way we could fit on it, so we walked another 5km down the mountain.. as we had promised kids hot chippies for doing so well... Master 11 ran most of the way (as we thought the shop was closing in 1/2 hour).. How can he walk 21 km and then run another 5km... l want his energy...

#25 Thursday

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:02 PM

I'm thankful for extended family today. Catching up with some relatives who I haven't seen for a long time - we're not all that close really, but we can see each other after several years and just be comfortable. Shared history, no need for small talk, just "getting" who the other person really is. I can't really explain it but it's special.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.