A weight vent

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#26 Lady Sybil Vimes

Posted 11 April 2017 - 07:56 PM

I think the 5:2 diet is problematic for anyone who binge eats. Feeling hungry on the fast days is a pretty sure way to trigger frantic binge eating on the other days.

No advice for you on diets but I have found the book Brain Over Binge by Kathryn Hanson very helpful in addressing binge eating. She also has a podcast that covers the main points but I preferred the book.

#27 maryanneK

Posted 11 April 2017 - 08:27 PM

OP it sounds like your problem is very much emotional/psychological. I think you should try some counselling or something to help you get to the bottom of those issues - otherwise all the diet suggestions in the world wont help
all the best

#28 cinnamonnutmeg

Posted 11 April 2017 - 10:29 PM

Have you ever looked at whether there are psychological factors sabotaging you as well? It took me a long time to  realise that even though i hate the weight i also feel safe, and I'm still working through that, but now i know its a big factor in my putting weight back on. Might be nothing like that for you, but something to consider maybe?
There is definitely a psychological component to it. Drug and alcohol abuse is rife in my family. My emotional crutch is food.

I'm so sorry you are feeling this way. I have watched my husband on the weight loss merrygoround for 10 years. He then had a gastric sleeve last year and it's not a magic fix for everyone.  The surgeon told him it was a weight loss tool but the weight loss would only be as good as the habits he could change and his mindset.
This is my biggest fear. I go through with it, spend all of this money, time and pain and in 10 years I am back to this point. I know family members on my mothers side who had weight loss surgery (not sleeving, this was years ago) and they gained it all back.

I could have written this exact post (except the wanting another baby part).  I too have spent over half of my life on a 'diet' lifestyle change and so on and so on.

I have also just bought diet shakes.  its the only damned thing I haven't tried yet.  Im at risk of diabetes im sure and I hate that I am setting this example to my kids.

but 3 weeks in - i'm enjoying it and im a few kilos down

I don't know why and I can't offer you any insight, just know that you aren't alone and that there are many people such as myself fighting the same battle.

Life is hard work -I just remind myself everyday that I want to be here for them.

thank you, good luck with your jouney (sorry I hate that word. There just isn't a better one). It is good to know that I'm not on my own!

I know this is bad but would you consider using duromine? It is very very effective but only really for short term use. My brother just used it to Kickstart his weight loss. The change has been profound. But anyway, speak to your gp.
I have spoken to my doctor, but because of my mental health history I am flat out not allowed to take it. I also know someone who has very recently had a terrible experience with it (I also know many others who have had great success), and after seeing the worst, I cant risk it.  

I found two things helped me the most:

1. hypnosis so I would rethink my emotional eating
2. Gretchen rubins book - 'Better than before' which list had a personality test.  I found knowing my personality type and working with that was very successful  for me.

importantly realising that relying on willpower is a sure way for me to fail.

good luck

I will have a look for that book. I have considered hypnosis but I always get such mixed reviews. Plus my Dad is all like "yeah, hypnosis is great, I used it a few times when I quit smoking" and I feel like that is not a great endorsement haha.

I have had success with Optifast. For me it works because there are no decisions. Three shakes/ bars, two cups of low starch veggies, 1tsp oil. You can't really screw it up.

It is of course, really hard socially as there are no substitutes. But if you stick to it, the weight falls off.

Start planning for weight loss surgery as a back up. Call your PHI and check you are covered. Go to an info session or have a look at some of the forums around.

And, Posted Image

Thank you. I didnt know that's what Optifast entailed. I might have a look into it.

We currently don't have PHI. In June I am going to start looking at WLS in earnest and consider it.

Hi OP.  Please understand that you are not alone.

I really cannot recommend too highly the book, "If not Dieting, then What? by Dr Rick Kausman.  It's Australian, and it's not brand spanking new, but he talks so much sense.  

Come on over to the Lots to Lose thread when you are ready.  Unlimited non-judgemental support on tap.

I started reading this book years ago. But it meant doing a lot of hard work (psychologically) that I didn't want to. I think it may be time....

On the weaning thing.  So your aware,  you can have the sleeve from 3 months post birth if you wish. It doesn't stop you from breastfeeding.  
If you have the sleeve before baby,  it is recommended yout wait until 12 months post op before conceiving,  but I see many people (FB group) conceive at a few months post with no issues.

I didn't know this. I will have to look in to where it plays into things.

I'd recommend that you try a LCHF (low carb healthy fat) way of eating before making any decisions about surgery.  It has been life changing for me in terms of ending cravings, losing weight and getting myself healthy.
I have seen a lot of people have fantastic results with this eating plan. At the moment I simply cannot face learning a new way to eat. The concept seems absolutely insurmountable for me (I have an extremely high carb diet).

I am on Saxenda, one month down 4kg. Its relatively new, less side effects than Duromine. There is a great Australian support FB page. I have been battling for years eat well and exercise 4-5 times a week to no avail. This really seems to be helping. I am anti surgery for myself after a friend had a terrible experience and life long health issues due to it. Saxenda is expensive but I see it as cheaper than surgery. All the best.
I didn't  know this drug was out there. Unfortunately cancer is something that terrifies me (add it to the wheelbarrow full of amazing family history I have).

OP I just wanted to mention two fantastic books that have given me a lot of insight:

The Obesity Code by Dr Jason Fung
Why We Get Fat: And What to Do About it by Gary Taubes

They explain why the conventional advice we have been given about weight loss does not work for most people and why weight gain is not simply about eating too much and/or exercising too little. It's a lot more complicated than calories in/calories out - the science on this has shifted over the last few years.

Thanks for the book suggestions. I will look them up.

OP can I ask what you tried for health at every size? (Feel free to ignore if that's too personal to answer)

I'm so sorry you're going through all of this. Believe me I have been there. I don't want to cause upset but I want you to know - WW most definitely is a diet, even if they call it a lifestyle change, and it wasn't you who backslid it was the diet that failed you.

Big hugs xxx

I started to read the book by Linda Bacon, but I struggled with it. Something about the way it was written irritated me and detracted from the message.

I have family members in AA who often trot out the line "the program works if you work the program". And I think it has shaped my idea of weight loss programs. You should be able to succeed because other have. Because technically they should work.

I know that people have the very best of intentions in recommending various approaches.

But the OP has tried WW which is most definitely a diet, but is a fairly balanced one.
She mentioned that she eats in secret, that she binges.  OP your opening post makes me so sad because there is so much self-loathing implied.

For someone who has grown up in a  family of disordered eaters, ANY kind of set of rules about what to eat - whether it's LCHF or 5:2 or WW or shakes - is going to cause problems, because the moment you see food as "good" or "Bad", as "allowed" or "not allowed" you are going to want to break out of that straightjacket.

That's why a no-diet approach is the only long lasting approach that seems to really work.

This is pretty much where I am at right now.

Agree with the above 100%
OP I've also been there and it wasn't until I broke the diet/ "good" vs "bad" mentality that I was able to overcome my issues with food.
The Moderation Movement page was instrumental in my success, which I've maintained now for years.

I will look into the Moderation Movement, thanks for the tip :)

I think the 5:2 diet is problematic for anyone who binge eats. Feeling hungry on the fast days is a pretty sure way to trigger frantic binge eating on the other days.

No advice for you on diets but I have found the book Brain Over Binge by Kathryn Hanson very helpful in addressing binge eating. She also has a podcast that covers the main points but I preferred the book.

I will have a look for the book. Thanks for the recommendation

The last 3 posts I very much agree with, I wasn't sure how explicit to be but yep, the research really is showing that an approach that has no restricting (ie no diets) and no focus on weight at all is really helping a lot of people. That's why I was wondering what you'd try under the HAES banner as that has unfortunately been co opted by dieting groups/weight loss groups.it also takes a lot of time (like years) to really shake off the diet mentality even after stopping dieting physically. But going through that phase is how you can help heal your relationship with food and not feel like binging as much.
Isabel Foxen Duke is amazing and really explains the restriction binge cycle.
I also love the Moderation movement as pp suggested.
Other fab resources and for info on the science - looks up Glenys Oyston, the Love Food podcast and for body image work (so important, I'm not there yet) I love summer Innanen.

Thanks for the hot tips and links -  I will look them all up.

Part of the reason I struggle with HAES is this idea that this may be the body I have. This big, cumbersome body, that isn't as cute as the one I had back in the day. I know that learning to love your body is part of HAES but the first road block is the hardest

Thank you to everyone who has responded. And for the recommendations.

I think I am going to do some reading and some looking and then see where it lands me

Thanks again xxx

Edited by cinnamonnutmeg, 11 April 2017 - 10:37 PM.

#29 cinnamonnutmeg

Posted 13 April 2017 - 03:41 PM

Thanks for all the information. Its definitely appreciated! Xx

#30 c.sanders

Posted 14 April 2017 - 02:06 AM

Op I just wanted to add. I recently did read a lot of info about long term breastfeeding and the fact that this can actually make weight loss more difficult. The hormones you are proeucing by breastfeeding is designed to make you eat a lot to produce Breast milk etc. So if you have had a few kids and breastfeeding for awhile this could also be slowing it down.
So keep that in mind as well.
A

#31 FiveAus

Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:14 AM

I've struggled with my weight for over 10 years, I went from a neat size 12 and ballooned out to a size 20, which is huge on my 157cm frame.

I've tried everything, most of them several times, and it's a seesaw of weight loss, weight gain.

I'm now doing Weightwatchers for the second time, and this time it's working. Not because of the food I'm eating (or not eating) and the exercise I'm doing, but I'm firmly convinced it's the mindset. It's very different this time around, it's not an "all or nothing" approach, and I"m now at about the 6 month mark which is way past when I usually get bored, and I've really settled into this new lifestyle of eating well and walking daily.

I don't particularly think it's because of Weighwatchers although I do find it the easiest eating plan to stick to. I think it's more about my headspace and my relationship with food. On the weekend I had a meal with a friend, yum cha and Japanese cheesecake, I went way over my allocated points but rather than ditch my good habits (which is what I would have done in the past), I went right back to my good eating.

Like breaking any bad habit, it's all in the mind. But gosh it's hard to get there. I feel for you, I really do.

#32 Manicmum

Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:49 AM

Sam Wood is achieving soomengreat results. It may not suit you.

#33 Jelly Bee

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:35 AM

I agree with Sam Wood. The main part is the Facebook group that is so supportive and you can see how so many others just like you are going.

I feel for you. My weight has also always see sawed (currently up) and I have no idea how to control it long term. I look at my friends who have stayed the same size all their life and honestly have no idea how this is possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.