13yo DD party ideas?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Rockwiz

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:40 PM

Does anyone have any good suggestions for my DD's 13th birthday? I would prefer she only invite a small number of friends. There's the usual sleepover option or movie but I'm just wondering what you've done for your just turned teen daughter's birthdays. She's not really a girly girl so I wouldn't look at beauty and make-up type options.

#2 Heather11

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:55 PM

We had an outdoor cinema type party for DD's 13th.  Luckily DH had a friend with a computer projector we could borrow.  We ordered pizzas and they cooked marshmallows over the fire pit.

#3 *TikkaB* Tinseltop

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:59 PM

My daughter is not a girly girl either (except when the mood takes her). She took three friends (with me trailing behind) to Chinatown for a table-top self-cook meal. Then back home for some cake and they were all happy with the day.

#4 .Jerry.

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:21 PM

Ice-skating?  Horse riding?  A park picnic done in style (with adults staying away)

For one of DD's recent birthdays (pre teen) we did two nights in a huge sub penthouse apartment in a mediocre Gold Coast venue.  (We only live an hour away)  She took her cousin who she is very close to.
Cost not much more than a decent party and I enjoyed it just as much as the kids. ;)

#5 choccy2

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:44 PM

Laser tag, skating,  horse riding,movies, sleepover pizza party, gymnastics party, restuarant ( dd is a bit picky so likes smorgaboard style so she can pick what she wants)  backyard party with music, lights etc, most unusual one I did was the shark and ray centre but i think from memory the girls were younger than 13 then. The girly girls found it a bit challenging (not my dds they loved it).

Edited by choccy2, 14 April 2017 - 06:18 PM.

#6 Mumtotwo13

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:02 PM

For my 13th birthday I remember being taken to Pizza Hut with a few friends, adults sitting at a nearby table. It was the heady days of Pizza Hut table service. I felt very grown up. Then back home for a movie and sleepover.

The modern equivalent may be the Chinatown meal as a pp suggested. Hard to go wrong with a night out at a restaurant, still makes me happy :)

#7 PhillipaCrawford

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:08 PM

We've done a movie session followed by pizza.

one thing that proved popular with one dd  was a back to childhood party.

They dressed as littlies and we had fairy bread and pass the parcel, musical statues etc. A huge hit.

#8 kyrrie

Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:14 PM

DD recently went to a 14th birthday party at plaster painting. DD's friend invited 4 girls and 2 boys and against all the birthday girl's mother's expectations it was brilliant. The party ended up going for 3 hours instead of the planned 2 because the kids took so much care in their painting.

The 13th parties she went to included sleepovers, whale watching, disco and just hanging out at friend's house. So long as they are together they are happy.

#9 Rockwiz

Posted 15 April 2017 - 10:04 AM

Lots of good ideas. I like the restaurant idea but as we live in the ACT there aren't too many teen friendly places I can think of which will cater for the likely fussy tastes of teens. Or a place which is relatively cheap.

#10 Riotproof

Posted 15 April 2017 - 12:19 PM

Make your own pizza party at home?

Then they can put on whatever they like.

#11 blimkybill

Posted 15 April 2017 - 12:40 PM

View PostRockwiz, on 15 April 2017 - 10:04 AM, said:

Lots of good ideas. I like the restaurant idea but as we live in the ACT there aren't too many teen friendly places I can think of which will cater for the likely fussy tastes of teens. Or a place which is relatively cheap.
Cheaper ACT places:
Dumpling House civic
Yum Cha in Dickson
Sushi train restaurant
Clubs, eg Southern Cross Club or Hellenic club
Lunchtime meal at a cafe in a nice scenic location, eg the cafe in Commonwealth Park, can't remember it's name
Cafe at Botanic Gardens (very pleasant)
Cafe at Mt Stromlo
Korean BBQ in Dickson
Turkish restaurants, strategic ordering with several pides can make these very affordable. I like Turkish Delight in Belconnen or there is a decent one in old Kingston.

Are 13 year olds really very fussy with their eating? I thought most would be able to find something they like at Chinese or Turkish or similar places.

#12 blimkybill

Posted 15 April 2017 - 12:42 PM

I just had another idea. Take them to a cafe for lunch near the lake (eg one of the big institutions) then a Segway ride. Not sure of the age cutoff though.
My own kids still liked picnics as teens too, make a nice picnic and the adults sit a bit separately. Combine with something active.

#13 seepi

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:03 PM

Movie can be a bit special if you go to the recliner seats and get the middle of the front row, or a preview screening.

#14 Bearynice

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:12 PM

Do you have grilld burger place nearby? Our local one does cheap movie ticket/burger deal.

#15 seepi

Posted 15 April 2017 - 03:23 PM

Pancake parlour - they could play pictionary or something between main and dessert. they might be too old for the kid meals tho.

#16 blimkybill

Posted 15 April 2017 - 05:55 PM

This place:
http://guild.house

#17 BBC

Posted 15 April 2017 - 05:58 PM

Make your own pizzas followed by sing star yodelling for several hours.

Or order the pizza but have some uniced cupcakes and they sit down to ice and decorate. Use the cupcakes as the birthday cake.

Nerf wars are also pretty good fun, or a games afternoon.

Edited by BBC, 15 April 2017 - 05:59 PM.

#18 eponee

Posted 15 April 2017 - 06:12 PM

For my daughter's 13th, I paid for her and a couple of friends to have manicures together at a salon before coming back home for pizza and movies

#19 SFmummyto3

Posted 15 April 2017 - 08:30 PM

Other things my dd's have enjoyed apart from what's already mentioned..

rollerblading

gold class cinema

tepanyaki..they loved the food tossing!

the chocolate fondue to share at one of the chocolate cafes..I think there's a Max Brenner in Canberra plus there might be other ones too..it's really yummy and the kids (and adults!) loved it.

these could be combined with a movie or another activity if desired.

#20 Rockwiz

Posted 16 April 2017 - 03:41 PM

Just checked in to see all these great ideas. Thanks everyone. Now I have lots of possibilities to consider.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.