Bonfires - anyone know what's legal?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Falala-llyjonk

Posted 22 April 2017 - 06:18 PM

We've spent the afternoon sweeping up leaves and cursing the ACT government for still not having green bins. (We're not in one of the trial suburbs either, poo).

We contemplated, not very seriously, burning them but figured it's probably illegal. So I looked it up and found this:

certain bonfires. On a residential lease such a fire is only permitted during the period commencing on the weekend before and ending on the weekend following the Queen’s birthday public holiday. Ensure you notify your local fire brigade.
https://www.accessca...ires-in-the-act

Now I'm curious. Not that we will probably do it. But what kind of certain bonfires?

#2 jayskette

Posted 22 April 2017 - 06:19 PM

that would be a celebratory bonfire for the Queen :p

#3 Falala-llyjonk

Posted 22 April 2017 - 06:37 PM

So as long as I am motivated but celebrating the queen I can burn my leaves?

#4 Falala-llyjonk

Posted 22 April 2017 - 06:44 PM

So as long as I am motivated but celebrating the queen I can burn my leaves?

#5 seepi

Posted 22 April 2017 - 06:49 PM

Is that the sort where you put a figure of jack Frost on top and watch it all burn - or am I getting mixed up with firework night?

You could try mowing the leaves and using them as mulch or compost?

#6 born.a.girl

Posted 22 April 2017 - 06:58 PM

That's a very good question. When I was growing up in the fifties and sixties we used to have bonfire night, but I can't remember when it was.

#7 Jingleflea

Posted 22 April 2017 - 06:58 PM

I thought all bonfires in the ACT were banned.

A friend of ours is lucky enough to have a new green bin, she had ONE bunch of flowers on collection day!
I could have filled one!

#8 Hollycoddle

Posted 22 April 2017 - 07:28 PM

Can you just have a normal fire drum and gradually burn the leaves that way? Fire ban has lifted so you can do this, we had fires last weekend and I even cooked sausages over ours today (obviously not burning rubbish as that's illegal and yuck anyway but proper firewood). Or else even just jam them into bags and empty out at free green waste at Parkwood (back of Holt) or there's likely another free green waste dump on Southside.

ETA yes there is, Mugga Way.

Edited by Mollycoddle, 22 April 2017 - 07:31 PM.

#9 GlitteryElfFarts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 07:47 PM

Burn them in a webber BBQ. Then just wash it out really really well.

#10 IkeaAddict

Posted 22 April 2017 - 07:48 PM

born.a.girl, on 22 April 2017 - 06:58 PM, said:

That's a very good question. When I was growing up in the fifties and sixties we used to have bonfire night, but I can't remember when it was.

Firecracker night was what we had and it was on the Sunday night of the June long weekend. I remember it being freezing cold and sitting next to the huge towering bonfire (which in hindsight was super crazy due to there being many gum trees in close proximity). Then they banned fire crackers :(

#11 TheWanderer

Posted 22 April 2017 - 07:55 PM

hold a sausage over the fire somehow... then it isn't a bonfire, it is a BBQ.  You may like your sausages well done

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.