My Ultimate Decluttering List - all welcome!

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 purpleduck

Posted 25 April 2017 - 04:39 PM

Ok, so I am actually in hiding from my kids who are squabbling :ninja: but I have been wanting to post up a pre-moving/general tidy/decluttering list because I need to have public accountability and am struggling with the momentum that I (sometimes) managed to dredge up.

Thanks to Bob-the-skull for their previous post about their own decluttering challenges.

I now have a child blowing their recorder at me, so a quick list of rooms (tasks to be added to later).....

Kitchen

Living area
- Shoe rack - cleaned out old shoes, vacuumed the cubby holes, tidied bag and hat boxes (and added labels)

Dining area

Under the stairs

Garage (hideous!!)

Study

Downstairs bathroom

Laundry
- wash and disinfect old potties to freecycle

Master Bedroom

Walk in Robe

Ensuite

Bedroom 2

Bedroom 3

Rumpus room
- start culling kids books now that I have sold the shelves

Linen closet
- go through shelves and organise summer/winter sheets
- go through random stuff shoved on bottom 2 shelves

Whole house
- went over all window panes to clean off mould spots, discovered that a dry lint free cloth gets the streaks left by the wipes

.... and I think that is about it.

We are possibly moving in a few months and this house is pretty big so I would rather chunk the cleaning as I go in the (vain?) hope that I will end up only having to wipe things down when/if we get to that stage.

Anyone want to join??

:D

ETA - just adding in the things I have done in the last couple of weeks that count ;)

Edited by purpleduck, 25 April 2017 - 08:25 PM.

#2 BornToLove

Posted 25 April 2017 - 04:47 PM

Oh, we're getting ready for our next rental inspection (the notice should be arriving any day now).

Anyways, since easter I have gone from room to room and being ruthless about purging anything and everything we don't need to keep and straightening up the clutter. Once we get the letter, I'll start scrubbing every surface until it sparkles (the easy part, ha!).

Best of luck. It's a process but I find it rather liberating getting rid of the clutter (it stresses me out)

#3 purpleduck

Posted 25 April 2017 - 05:00 PM

BornToLove - yes, that reminds me we have an inspection due in the next couple of months too :( Guess this will help it all along!

#4 RocktonResident

Posted 25 April 2017 - 05:11 PM

Can I just say doing the decluttering challenges with Bob earlier in the year was so therapeutic! Good luck! My house is still quite cluttered, but I'm feeling s lot better about the things in the house.

My goal at the moment is the shed. Most of XH's stuff is gone, I just need to sort out the remainder and then see if I can get rid of the shed! I'm so looking forward to doing up the backyard the way I want it!

#5 Paddlepop

Posted 25 April 2017 - 05:14 PM

View PostBornToLove, on 25 April 2017 - 04:47 PM, said:

Oh, we're getting ready for our next rental inspection (the notice should be arriving any day now).

I have one tomorrow. :rant:

OP: Clean like you're having an inspection by an anally retentive property manager. That should do it. Alternatively, hire a skip, put everything in there, then leave. Sorry, a bit over decluttering and tidying here.

#6 purpleduck

Posted 25 April 2017 - 05:24 PM

Paddlepop- I think my biggest fear is that we will end up moving and there will be a mad panic at the end and I will wish I had reduced while I had more time and less urgency.

An interesting mirroring moment - discovered one of my kids procrastinating and they are very very good at it. I am frustrated at them so am trying to channel said frustration and go tackle something else now.

#7 BornToLove

Posted 25 April 2017 - 05:59 PM

View PostPaddlepop, on 25 April 2017 - 05:14 PM, said:

I have one tomorrow. :rant:

Just what you wanted to do on a public holiday - clean! :eyeroll:

#8 raspberry sherbert

Posted 26 April 2017 - 11:10 AM

I did a decluttering course a couple of weeks ago and came away from it so motivated. I wrote myself a room by room - declutter and cleaning list. I haven't really started working my way thru it but will join you. I am thinking of starting at the front door and continuing on thru the house.

#9 lozoodle

Posted 26 April 2017 - 11:23 AM

In all honesty my whole house needs a good clean out / declutter / sort.

Its gotten somewhat out of control in the last year. On the surface looks nice and clean, but then you open a cupboard and its like OMG.

Its just too overwhelming to even contemplate doing huge amounts at once, i feel like I don't know where to start. So what I have been doing is picking at least one thing per day, no matter how small, and getting it done. EG yesterday we did the pantry and under sink cupboard which was pretty epic in terms of work required. Today I cleaned out that one cupboard that was used for junk in the kitchen and turned it into a functional space for all the kids cups and lunch boxes and drink bottles. Also sorted the cutlery drawer.

Doesn't sound like much but its starting to add up. The main thing is I pick one small area to focus on at a time and make the effort to get it absolutely perfect. Then once I have, I am putting the effort into KEEPING it that way. Slowly slowly slowly my house is starting to turn from chaos back to clean and organised again. I still have a very long way to go, but this a very good way for me to approach it, it doesn't seem like such a huge deal if all I need to do is sort one thing out at a time.

#10 purpleduck

Posted 27 April 2017 - 09:52 PM

Can someone put a boot up my patootie.....? I am struggling to be productive in any way shape or form..... off to source the chocolate block with some mint filling and read a few pages of The Road to Omaha (anyone else read it in fits of laughter rear facing on a public bus??? :D )

#11 raspberry sherbert

Posted 30 April 2017 - 10:34 PM

I am hoping for a sunny day tomorrow. It has rained all week and I have been so unmotivated. I need to catch up on washing. I bought a new quilt cover 2 weeks ago and want to give our bedroom a bit of a makeover but again the rain has held me back.

purpleduck - How is your decluttering going? Are you still struggling?

How is everyone else going?

Tomorrow is a new week and a new month so I am going to set myself a daily challenge.
Day 1- Front door / front verandah - DONE

Edited by raspberry sherbert, 01 May 2017 - 12:48 PM.

#12 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 30 April 2017 - 10:52 PM

I have just spent the weekend clearing out my late aunt's house. 5 rubbish skips, 20 trips to Vinnie's and 30 boxes of books donated to an upcoming book fair. Another weekend like this and we should be done. You want decluttering? Invite me around, I'm on a roll...

#13 purpleduck

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:46 AM

Thanks for asking raspberry :) I had sick kids at home most of last week. The interesting thing is that when I have less time on my hands I am often more organised and get more done but because of the extra interrupted sleep and almost extended school hols, I just lost my mojo. Kids are back at school today and on end of the things I will be doing is going for a walk before work and then focussing just on one area (clothes for winter).

I find it easy to be distracted (SQUIRREL!!!!) when there are so many things that I notice that I want to reduce. It probably isn't that bad but I know that clutter and tidiness is very subjective and relative to each and every household.

#14 raspberry sherbert

Posted 01 May 2017 - 12:47 PM

Wow - Feral Grey Mare sounds like you are on a roll. I am worried I will be left with something like what you are doing with my parents.

I have spent the past 90 minutes on my front verandah. I have swept the verandah,swept the path, trimmed some overhanging trees, cleaned the window and the front door on the outside.

Day 2 - I am going to do the entryway/ front door DONE

Edited by raspberry sherbert, 02 May 2017 - 11:05 PM.

#15 purpleduck

Posted 01 May 2017 - 06:53 PM

Ok so I made progress today, made sure I went for a long walk (about an hour) which will definitely help my fitness and I am also hoping will help with the blah feeling and lack of motivation. I don't think I am technically depressed but I do hate the lack of motivation.
When I came back from my walk I followed up on a few paperwork things that had been piling up, including doing quick replies to emails etc. so I feel good that I have done some things :)

#16 wannabe30

Posted 01 May 2017 - 07:19 PM

Do you mind if I join? I want to do the Minimalists Game - declutter one thing on the 1st day of the month, two things on the 2nd day, etc etc.

A few of us did it back in January and I found it SO motivating to post here each day. Now I'm starting to notice stuff accumulating and I need the motivation to keep making progress.

So, for the 1st of the month, my one item is:

My wok. The non stick surface is starting to peel off, and I always choose another pan whenever I cook. Not sure why I've been keeping the wok around, so out it goes!

#17 purpleduck

Posted 02 May 2017 - 07:47 AM

Wannabe30 - welcome :)
Yesterday I dropped a bag at the op shop and my goal for this month is to take a bag there every day this month.

I also have a few expired medications that I will try and drop off at the pharmacy today. As long as there is more going out than coming in then I am happier.

My little cleaning task this morning was rather minor and incredibly banal lol. I got some wipes and cleaned the beading on the external side of our front door. I haven't done that... well...ever! Again hoping by doing these small cleaning jobs along the way, it will be easier when the final cleaning time comes.

#18 raspberry sherbert

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:15 PM

I managed to vacuum the entryway/hall and put away all the junk near the front door and clean the inside of the door today. Also made my bed and took a before photo for my bedroom makeover.

Tomorrow I am going to concentrate on the linen cupboard.

Wannabe30 - I wondered about the minimalist game and thought it would be easier to do it backwards. 31 things on day 1 , 30 on day 2, etc. I would struggle by the end of the month to find 31 things. Anything to get stuff out of the house though. Whatever works is my aim.

purpleduck - Getting stuff out of the house is my biggest hurdle. I can declutter fairly easily but need to get it out of the house. All the little jobs done regularly really add up. A couple of weeks ago I started dusting in my loungeroom. I get 3 microfibre cloths, dampen them with hot water and a few drops of lemon oil. I go over as many surfaces in the loungeroom as I can and I can already see a difference. I now use one to dust our bedroom too.

Day 3 - Linen cupboard

#19 Rowenas necklace

Posted 02 May 2017 - 11:41 PM

I've started making progress in my office at last, and have decided that my plan going forward is to have a really big bonfire and start over again. Or just dump it all in a really big skip. Fill a shipping container, put a stamp on it and send it off into the world?

Something along those lines, anyway.

#20 wannabe30

Posted 03 May 2017 - 10:00 PM

View Postraspberry sherbert, on 02 May 2017 - 11:15 PM, said:

Wannabe30 - I wondered about the minimalist game and thought it would be easier to do it backwards. 31 things on day 1 , 30 on day 2, etc. I would struggle by the end of the month to find 31 things. Anything to get stuff out of the house though. Whatever works is my aim

Ah, yes! The last time I did the Mins Game on here someone (maybe you??) suggested doing it in reverse. I thought it was such a great idea, but I totally forgot until now.

Since I've already started going "forwards" I guess I'll keep going.

Day 2:
Old shirt that DD has stained beyond all hope.
Broken plastic toy.

Day 3:
Three magazines I've been saving to read - if I haven't read them by now I'm not going to!

#21 Princess VFR

Posted 03 May 2017 - 10:29 PM

Does finally getting toxic family members out of our lives count?

Sorry....i couldn't help myself.  

But i am cleaning all my sliding doors/windows and tracks tomorrow ( i have 7 sliding doors, and 7 sliding windows in my house)

All the flys and bugs i spray seem to land in them

#22 wannabe30

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:50 PM

I'm a long way behind! I need to do 60 items to catch up with where I should be.

Here's what I did today:

Shoes
Receipt
Random buttons x2
Safety pin
Jeans (mine)
Top (mine)
Coat (DD's)
Jumper (DD's)
Sparkly gem
Happy Meal toys x3
Random kids' craft x5
Christmas ribbon x3
Old ice brick things x3
= 24

So tomorrow I need to do 36 to catch up, plus 12 for the 12th day!!

Target = 48

Wish me luck...

#23 purpleduck

Posted 12 May 2017 - 06:37 AM

Wannabe30 that's still awesome!!! Just think, they would still be floating around your house if you hadn't been trying to actively declutter.

I think this kind of thing is definitely a long game, and there will be breaks and pauses along the way but as long as what is going out is more than what is coming in, you will get there :D

#24 *TikkaB* Tinseltop

Posted 12 May 2017 - 07:49 AM

I hired someone to clean my place prior to (yesterdays) periodic rental inspection.

I get like Purpleduck, and just can't motivate myself when I let things get of hand. I get distracted and end up doing bits and pieces instead of concentrating on one job and finishing it.

My place can look like an op shop at times, because, well I work at an op shop and I'm always bringing things that I find home to take into work, but we're short on storage space at the moment.

The cleaner worked wonders. Once she was done, I felt like I'd lost weight!

I was then able to de-clutter and now my flat looks huge and quite nice.

#25 wannabe30

Posted 12 May 2017 - 11:34 PM

Hmmm ... not sure if my post from this morning posted.

I was aiming for 48 items today, but didn't get close. I did manage:

4x belts
2x straws for sippy cups we no longer own
Wind-up Easter bunny
Out of date pack of strepsils
2x packs of Naprogesic which I no longer use (yay Mirena!)

So 38 outstanding plus tomorrow's target of 13 = 51

I will be ruthless!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.