My Ultimate Decluttering List - all welcome!

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#26 purpleduck

Posted 13 May 2017 - 10:13 AM

I find that life does get in the way sometimes, but good on you for slogging away :) something is better than nothing ;)

#27 wannabe30

Posted 13 May 2017 - 11:22 AM

Major progress towards today's target of 51 items:

6 random bits of rubbish cleaned out of the car
21(!!) little plastic toys that I've convinced DD to repurpose as party-bag fillers for her birthday tomorrow
6 little plastic toys that were beyond saving and now in the bin

That's 33.

18 more to go!

#28 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 13 May 2017 - 12:35 PM

My mother has a wardrobe full of family and holiday slides dating back to the mid 20th century. Bought her a slide scanner so now she can put them all on memory sticks and bring them up here to show us whenever she visits (there had to be a downside to this!) and get rid of the bulky originals at the same time.

#29 wannabe30

Posted 13 May 2017 - 01:37 PM

Progress continues ... thanks for letting me keep posting to keep myself motivated!

3 more little plastic toys
1 pen lid
1 defunct craft project
1 bundle old raffle tickets
2 pipe cleaners

10 more to go and I'll be all caught up!

#30 wannabe30

Posted 13 May 2017 - 04:55 PM

Done! I found 10 more random little toys and random bits of crap to get rid of. I've caught up!

Tomorrow I'm back to discarding 14 items for the 14th day of the month.

#31 wannabe30

Posted 13 May 2017 - 10:55 PM

I'm on a roll so I managed to get through tomorrow's 14 items in advance:

10 books
1 old note from school
1 catalogue (no idea why I'd kept it)
1 magazine

I was looking for one more item to make it up to 14 when I smashed a coffee mug by accident. So I'm counting that as number 14 since it's now in the bin!

#32 RocktonResident

Posted 14 May 2017 - 05:03 PM

I took the kids to a small local zoo today. They wanted souvenirs, I've always allowed them in the past. I explained from now on we are spending money doing things, not buying things. They seemed onboard, so hopefully that will reduce the stuff coming in.

I did an epic clean yesterday so haven't logged anything today. Although I'm super thrilled that yesterday the shed sold on gumtree and has now gone. It used to be filled with stuff, but it's not all gone and the shed is gone! I'm so happy!

#33 wannabe30

Posted 14 May 2017 - 11:09 PM

That is a huge achievement getting rid of the shed! Well done!

#34 wannabe30

Posted 14 May 2017 - 11:14 PM

And I like the approach of explaining to the kids about buying experiences instead of things.

As I mentioned in the other thread, most of the stuff I'm now declutteribg has crept in over the past few months.  None of it is big, but it's all those little annoying things - exactly the type of small stuff I'd let me kids buy as a souvenir - eg a eraser from the zoo, a headband from a market stall, the poor-quality textas that came with the colouring book at an airport.

I think it's demonstrated the real value in "buy nothing" as well as decluttering what we already have.

#35 jkate_

Posted 15 May 2017 - 03:16 PM

10 minutes in our spare bathroom and I have culled

A sports icepack
Expired bottle of hair removal cream
Expired and 99% empty bottle of shower cleaner
Mostly empty anti dandruff shampoo
Dry shampoo for red hair (no longer have red hair)
A flo sinus care kit
An old razor
The cover for the shaver my husband lost while OS
The case some fancy soap came in - the soap was used long ago
A body lotion I never used but know I got over six years ago
Some random rubbish
Lots of expired medicines
Packaging for gifty Xmas beauty packs - items already put away or ready to donate
And the bag for the triple pack of Aldi handwash

All the shelves have been wiped down too.

Earlier today I also culled a pair of pj pants with a hole in them while hanging washing out :)

#36 IamtheMumma

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:54 PM

I attacked the hidden clutter today. The boxes of bibs and bobs plus paperwork. Also attacked my book shelf. I don't need my textbooks that are over 10yrs out of date. I'm torn between donating them or recycling them. In the academic world, they're ancient.

A neighbour gave me a bag of hand me downs from her children. I went through it and am rehoming the lot. Great stuff but far to big for DS. He won't need it for another 2-4 years. Someone else can use it now.

What I am having trouble with is the electronics. I have a Wii, PS2 and Xbox. All are sitting in boxes doing nothing. Part of me wants to keep them because they can be great fun but I refuse to let the kids use them every day. So what is the point of having 3 different machines. They're all superseded as well.

#37 RocktonResident

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:49 PM

Help me out her clutter gurus.

I have a blanket box in my bedroom. Seriously, this box never gets accessed. It has a blanket on top of it and the cats use it as a bed. So logically I'm thinking I can get rid of it and its contents, right?

I don't know that I can. This box holds the sentimental stuff. But at the same time, I know I have no need for it and don't look at it. So what do I do? Keep it? Get rid of it?

To give you an idea of the contents to help me decide:
Hand smocked outfits made by my Aunty and Nanna when my sister and I were babies. My children wore them as babies. I guess I'm keeping them thinking I could give to my grandchildren, but really will anyone want them?
Half completed baby books. I'm thinking I could just scan the pages I've completed for memory purposes but get rid of the actual books?
Splayds. Seriously, I love spalyds. These are vintage ones my mum gave me. I'm too scared to use them. But isn't the point of them to be used?
I've also got a vintage teaspoon set by Grandma gave me. I don't know the exact story of them or anything, all the packaging is in Polish but to look at them, it's obvious they are old. Plus, Grandma never bought stuff new the whole time I knew her. She passed away three years ago, it's the only thing of hers I have. So I have to keep them. But what's the point in keeping them when they only sit in a box?
Wedding photos. I'm thinking I'll just scan them even though that will be time consuming. Part of me says just bin them, they don't hold any meaning anymore, but the kids may want to see them one day. That said though, I do have the negatives and the digital photos on a disk already....

So help?!? What do I keep, what do I donate, what do I bin?? I need someone impartial to help.

#38 purpleduck

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:20 PM

First, if you separate these things into groups, you might have a better idea of how much physical space they take up, sometimes we have a cupboard or box that is disorganised and untidy and actually isn't full, it's just not the best kind of storage option for the item etc.

Hand smocked outfits made by my Aunty and Nanna when my sister and I were babies. My children wore them as babies. I guess I'm keeping them thinking I could give to my grandchildren, but really will anyone want them?
I wouldn't recommend keeping them just in case you have a descendant who is interested in family history, but if they are small enough etc, then box them up nicely and keep them as a family heirloom. I think its ok to keep some family items as long as it isn't rooms and rooms of them ;) And kids usually go through these phases of "wow, how small/cute/old" etc

Half completed baby books. I'm thinking I could just scan the pages I've completed for memory purposes but get rid of the actual books?
Maybe do up a new scrapbook and just cut/paste or scan etc what you do have?

Splayds. Seriously, I love spalyds. These are vintage ones my mum gave me. I'm too scared to use them. But isn't the point of them to be used?
I agree, use them :D Take care of washing them etc, but if you enjoy them every time you use them, use them :) I am like that with nice crystal :)

I've also got a vintage teaspoon set by Grandma gave me. I don't know the exact story of them or anything, all the packaging is in Polish but to look at them, it's obvious they are old. Plus, Grandma never bought stuff new the whole time I knew her. She passed away three years ago, it's the only thing of hers I have. So I have to keep them. But what's the point in keeping them when they only sit in a box?
Similar to the splayds, I would be using them kindly and well, but you don't have to keep them if you don't like them. At worst, you could keep it for one of your kids if it isn't a big box etc, but really, do you think she would want you to keep a box of spoons but not use them at all?

Wedding photos. I'm thinking I'll just scan them even though that will be time consuming. Part of me says just bin them, they don't hold any meaning anymore, but the kids may want to see them one day. That said though, I do have the negatives and the digital photos on a disk already....
Ex or current marriage? And is it more the albums that are bulky?

#39 RocktonResident

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:58 PM

You know, I think you're right. It's more the storage item, than what it stores that is the issue.

The dresses and outfits don't take up much space - it's just the sheer number of them. Probably ten little dresses (newborn size), about 4 shirt and short sets, plus half a dozen hand knitted cardigans. I might just select my favourite one or two of each and try and rehome the rest. I can't stomach the idea of binning something that so much time and effort has gone into.

I can't see myself finding the time to scrapbook anytime soon. I used to, but admittedly I wasn't very good.....

Splayds to be used then.

I don't know that I can bring myself to use the spoons....but given its a small box I can probably find somewhere else to store them....

Wedding photos with the ex. There's the album of proofs from the photographer, plus the big album. They don't take up a lot of room as such, I just don't want them around. I might see if he wants them.....I just want to move on, and feel like they're holding me back and down? It's the same reason I'm finally willing to part with my wedding dress....

#40 wannabe30

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:37 PM

Baby clothes - I agree, select s handful of favourites and pass the rest on.

Baby books - digital is good. And/Or you could just store them on your kids' bookshelves and let them use and enjoy.

Splayds - use them for sure.

Spoons - I'd say use, but if you can't bring yourself to use them as everyday items, you could try:

- Choose a reasonable number (say, one for every member of the family), tie a beautiful ribbon on the handle and make them into a Christmas decoration. The kids can take theirs when they leave home. Then, every year, you see them on the tree, remember your Grandma, and enjoy.
- Decide they are your "special birthday cake spoons" or something. Keep them with the cutlery, or wherever you keep pretty crockery, etc, and every birthday, use and enjoy your Grandma's beautiful spoons. Keeping them in the blanket box means they are buried and forgotten, but giving them a purpose (and keeping them somewhere that will remind you to use them) means they get enjoyed and treasured.

Wedding pics - you have digital. Chuck the rest or give them to your ex if he would like them. You could ask other members of the family if they'd like to have any of the hard copies (eg would the kids like to choose one to keep for themselves to look at whenever they like?) but don't angst over this. If you have digital versions, you can always print new copies of someone wants one later, but you're not going to be constantly reminded of them.

Good luck. It's hard dealing with sentimental items. Have you ever read Marie Kondo? She really helped me with this stuff.

#41 bubskitkat

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:07 PM

View PostFeral Grey Mare, on 13 May 2017 - 12:35 PM, said:

My mother has a wardrobe full of family and holiday slides dating back to the mid 20th century. Bought her a slide scanner so now she can put them all on memory sticks and bring them up here to show us whenever she visits (there had to be a downside to this!) and get rid of the bulky originals at the same time.

Can I please ask what slide scanner you brought? I need to do all my dads slides. They take up so much room.

#42 RocktonResident

Posted 21 May 2017 - 04:32 PM

So I finished the blanket box. Got rid of three cardigans that were stained or a SIDS risk. I've kept the rest and the hands mocked dress, but I bought a nice box at the
Reject shop to keep them in and have put them in the top of my wardrobe. I can always reassess in the future.

I've kept about half a dozen wedding photos, the rest I've passed to XH to do what he wants with.

The blanket box is now empty. I've listed it on gumtree, so hopefully it will go soon and brings in a few dollars.

Not really much of a declutter, but I've rearranged the furniture in my bedroom today.

Another thing I've been doing is if something breaks of dies, not replacing it straight away. I'm waiting to see I feel  a actually miss the item first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.