Is it only me?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 RocktonResident

Posted 13 May 2017 - 04:07 PM

A few months ago I did the decluttering challenge, where you get rid of the number of things for the date of the month. I did the whole house. Or so I thought.

I cleaned DS and DD2's bedrooms this morning and they amount of clutter/rubbish that has accumulated is ridiculous. There haven't been any birthdays in that time frame - where is all this stuff coming from? How did I miss it last time?

I'm working on the pantry now. I've found stuff that expired in 2013. Where is this stuff coming from? How did I not find and discard it last time?

Is there some kind of weird vortex that is making stuff appear in my house??

#2 sueratbag

Posted 13 May 2017 - 04:38 PM

AHA! That's where all my single socks and left rubber gloves disappear to! I'll be over to pick them up.

#3 ljbellus

Posted 13 May 2017 - 07:58 PM

I have no idea where all this stuff comes from.  If I clear out a cupboard shelf or a bathroom drawer so there is nothing left in it, it doesn't take long before it is filled again.

I think Newton missed a law.  For every item removed from a space, the equal and opposite reaction causes a mysterious item from who knows where to take it's place.

#4 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 13 May 2017 - 08:12 PM

My next house is having no cupboards and no horizontal surfaces. Not too sure how it is all going to work but at least there won't be any "stuff" just lying around.

#5 wannabe30

Posted 14 May 2017 - 01:31 PM

Not just you! I am actually re-doing the challenge this month despite having done it before (and having previously Kon Maried most of the house and been on a massive declutting project for almost two years.

What I've noticed this time around is that most the stuff I'm finding to declutter is small, fiddly things (hair clips, party bag favours, notes from school) that are just sitting in little piles around the place.

I've realised that these things  haven't been here very long, so most of them have arrived after the last great decluttering spree, and none of them have a real place where they belong.

So I'm making an effort this month to find homes for this type of stuff so it's not an ongoing issue - for example, I've created a dedicated "little toys" drawer for future small plastic crap to go. I'll still need to declutter that drawer regularly, but at least the toys won't annoy me in the meantime.

I'm also finding (probably like you in your pantry, OP) that things I thought were worthwhile keeping, aren't actually worth it. I kept five nice leather belts in my last declutter, but realised I haven't worn any of them since February so I donated four of them to vinnies this week.

#6 cvbn

Posted 14 May 2017 - 01:53 PM

Human junk expands to fit the space provided ~ Ben Elton

#7 PocketIcikleflakes

Posted 14 May 2017 - 02:07 PM

^^^ this. The more storage I get the more more junk appears in order to fill it. Like osmosis for c**p. I have empty space, therefore stuff ends up there from somewhere that was very full. Often handed down clothes, toys. Basically the results of other people's decluttering.

Edited by Pocketmoney, 14 May 2017 - 02:13 PM.

#8 Tender Heart

Posted 14 May 2017 - 02:25 PM

View PostFeral Grey Mare, on 13 May 2017 - 08:12 PM, said:

My next house is having no cupboards and no horizontal surfaces. Not too sure how it is all going to work but at least there won't be any "stuff" just lying around.

My children move to the floor when there is no table / bench.

There's always stuff.  :cry:

#9 RocktonResident

Posted 14 May 2017 - 04:58 PM

So basically, you're all telling me there's no hope and I'll never get on top of it all, and I may as well give up now. Good to know.

DS currently has two empty shelves on his Trofast....lets see how long it takes to fill up.

#10 crankybee

Posted 14 May 2017 - 06:05 PM

I find you always have to be on top of it. Always. I am constantly throwing things out and have a permanent charity box in our house that is filled twice per school term. Thanks to Peter Walsh for that tip!

#11 Chaotic Pogo

Posted 14 May 2017 - 06:13 PM

Yep charity box in the bottom of the laundry cupboard here.
Plus a drawer for 'stuff to give (or give back) to people'.

Both are full....  but at least not hanging around the front door or kitchen bench!

#12 wannabe30

Posted 14 May 2017 - 07:22 PM

View PostChaotic Pogo, on 14 May 2017 - 06:13 PM, said:

Yep charity box in the bottom of the laundry cupboard here.
Plus a drawer for 'stuff to give (or give back) to people'.

Both are full....  but at least not hanging around the front door or kitchen bench!

I have both of these too! SO handy for corralling all the crap rather than moving it from place-to-place.

I totally used to do the "Oh I can't put this away, I need to remember to give it to SIL next time I see her ... I'll just leave it here by the front door so I don't forget" thing. And then it would get so disguised by other clutter that I'd forget about it anyway. So I'd move it to the kitchen bench. And so on.

Now whenever I have guests or I'm going to visit someone, I check the "for other people" box and see what I've got stashed for them!

#13 IamtheMumma

Posted 15 May 2017 - 06:38 PM

It wouldn't surprise me if there is a galaxy far, far away that is filled with non matching socks, hair ties and hair clips. I can never find mates or hair ties and then one day a few months later, they'll suddenly appear again.

#14 wannabe30

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:32 PM

View PostIamtheMumma, on 15 May 2017 - 06:38 PM, said:

It wouldn't surprise me if there is a galaxy far, far away that is filled with non matching socks, hair ties and hair clips. I can never find mates or hair ties and then one day a few months later, they'll suddenly appear again.

There was an Emily Rodda children's book about that. Things fell through the wall, and people on the other side would sometimes find them and throw them back again. It explained why the car keys aren't on the bench when you look 10 times, but magically reappear when someone else looks.

#15 ainira

Posted 15 May 2017 - 09:44 PM

I want to know where the universe has hidden DD2's "Little sister DD2" t-shirt (DD1 has the matching "big sister DD1" shirt), which of course goes missing when DD2 is finally the right size for it :cry:

All I remember was that I had washed it at the start of the year :(

#16 RocktonResident

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:51 PM

Thanks for the box to return tip! I already have a donation box, but hadn't thought to do the other one. At the moment stuff to be return gathers dust on the kitchen bench.

#17 wannabe30

Posted 17 May 2017 - 07:06 PM

View PostItchy_Elf, on 17 May 2017 - 12:51 PM, said:

Thanks for the box to return tip! I already have a donation box, but hadn't thought to do the other one. At the moment stuff to be return gathers dust on the kitchen bench.
Exactly! This was 100% me 6-12 months ago. It's called procrasti-clutter and it is the devil!

#18 Chaotic Pogo

Posted 17 May 2017 - 08:44 PM

At times I've even put stuff in the post to get it out of my house and back to theirs...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.