The 3 year old diet

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 RainGirl

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:04 PM

My daughter is 3.5 and I feel like I feed her the same thing every day. She doesn't like a lot of the meals we eat so I mostly make her own separate one. When did others kids start eating and actually trying what you give them?

#2 raone

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:49 PM

Ds  is  going on five and still no luck. But he's special needs so I dont know if thats why. I've recently started hiding veggies in stuff. It's not the taste so much as the look. Carrot pancakes went over well. Tomato veg soup not so good.

#3 Nastyflea

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:57 PM

I refuse to make a separate meal to what the adults are eating so DD(7) is pretty good at eating everything (bar pumpkin or cheese sauce covered pasta) she's given. Always has been really. Mostly because I don't give her a choice.

Eat as a family, offer them a bit of everything, make sure there's one thing you KNOW she'll eat each meal and let her eat or not, her choice.

If you keep making her a meal just for her, she'll keep refusing to eat your food because she knows she doesn't have to.

#4 Three Of Hearts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:03 PM

I've just recently stopped making our DD3.5 her own meals and try to make a family meal for all of us with parts that I know she will eat.  She was to the point where she ate vegemite sandwiches, cheese and apple and that was about it!  I have also implemented a reward chart where she gets a sticker for each time she eats what is given to her and when she fills a row on the chart she gets a little present.

So far it's working really well.  I haven't had to make her a sandwich etc for a fortnight, she has actually eaten what I've given her.  Last night she ate 2 pieces of sweet potato even though they were making her gag (funny because when she was a baby it was her favourite food!) all because she really wanted to finish off her reward chart and get to the present!

ETA:  There's still no chance of her eating 'begetables' if she can see them, but slow and steady win the race!

#5 Tayto2

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:11 PM

Nastyflea, on 19 June 2017 - 12:57 PM, said:

I refuse to make a separate meal to what the adults are eating so DD(7) is pretty good at eating everything (bar pumpkin or cheese sauce covered pasta) she's given. Always has been really. Mostly because I don't give her a choice.

Eat as a family, offer them a bit of everything, make sure there's one thing you KNOW she'll eat each meal and let her eat or not, her choice.

If you keep making her a meal just for her, she'll keep refusing to eat your food because she knows she doesn't have to.

This approach is what we do, it's basically the Ellyn Satter division of responsibility model which is not only evidence based it takes the pressure off us parents!

She recommends that there is a carby thing on the plate that they like (bread, pasta, noodles - whatever it is that's part of that meal), then also aim for the meal/snack to include fruit or veggies, a fat source and a protein source. Add a glass of milk and your job is done! They eat or not, in whatever amount they want.

This is only guidelines so not all meals will have all those sources, is just an aim, so cook whatever you normally would - "considerate without catering" is what Ellyn calls it - and the kids will learn to eat (over time, a looong time!) what the parents eat.

#6 Hini

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:33 PM

Basically what PP said..

We have a DS3.5 and DD2 and that is how they have always eaten. We get better results if we put the food on platters in the middle and let them serve themselves.

They eat what we eat.

I pureed for DS but never even bothered for DD.

Because we are adventurous eaters, so are they. Prawns, couscous, duck. You name it they eat it. No nuggets, juice, ice cream or any other 'kid' food.

Sweet treats are plain greek yoghurt with strawberries.

DD even ate the pickled vegetables that came with her Nasi Goren in Bali recently!

#7 PrincessPeach

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:42 PM

I've never actually made the kids their own meals. When they first started solids I offered them bits of our meals, or puréed it, then they just got what we had.

Ive run with the same approach as a lot of others, I put it on the plate, they eat want the house want off it & that is it.

If they eat everything & are still hungry they can have something else, but otherwise that is it & they can wait for the next meal (that sounds mean, but I offer breakfast, morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea & dinner). No one has starved to death yet.

I'm a very basic cook though, so most of our meals are grilled meat & steamed veggies. I mix it up with a basic stir fry, spaghetti bolognase & quiches though.

#8 Rowenas Necklace

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:43 PM

We roughly follow the Ellyn Satter model with DD (3.5), with a handful of "hiding veges in stuff she will eat" to make us feel better about the fact that she refuses to eat almost anything that's not meat or pasta.

She's a fan of these spinach muffins: http://www.superheal...pinach-muffins/

#9 Coffeegirl

Posted 19 June 2017 - 07:35 PM

My kids are teens and when they were toddlers, they simply ate what we did.  Well that was the plan anyway.....

DD eats anything and everything.   Always has.  

DS has been fussy since he started solids.    If he doesn't like it, he simply doesn't eat it, and would rather eat nothing, than eat something he doesn't want to.   He went to bed without eating anything many nights as he simply refused everything!

Until he was 10ish he ate very few foods.   Potato (chipped and baked or mashed only) carrots- but only when in a stir fry.   Chicken could be grilled, stirfried or crumbed.    Steak on a rare occasion.  Mince- only in spag Bol, not in a Shepard pie.      

He would eat all the ingredients of a sheprarda pie or they were served seperate, but not as a 'pie'.   He would eat spaghetti, but not penne :rolleyes: .    

Yet put a plate of sashimi and takuan (japense pickle) in front of him and he'd Hoover it down.  

He's slowly trying new things.   He tried an egg at his mates house the other day.   First one in close to 11 years!

#10 RainGirl

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:33 AM

Thanks everyone. I've never heard of Ellyn Satter so will look her up. My mum was the same and we had to eat it all otherwise we got nothing else. Though I can't remember what we done when we were toddlers.
I like the idea of having everything on a platter in the middle of the table I might try that. I don't do nuggets etc either as she doesn't like them. Her dinner is basically cucumber, cheese, either pasta or sandwich,boiled egg and yoghurt and fruit. I hide spinach in her nice cream which is another staple of her diet (frozen bananas whipped up) she doesn't eat unhealthy just not a lot of variety. We done baby les weaning with her and has never been a big eater more of a picker

Edited by RainGirl, 21 June 2017 - 11:11 AM.

#11 mayahlb

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:48 AM

We have never really made separate meals for the kids... but there is always something they like on the plate (not touching the other food or its considered "tainted").

I just want to say though this doesn't always work... some kids are extremely fussy. There are threads where you can see parents having has huge battles around getting their kids to eat. And as much as people will say a kid won't starve themselves, some will.

So I would give it a go for a decent amount of time, but if it doesn't work then know you are not alone.

(Yes my child is one of the ones who will happily starve himself rather then eat. Food battles can be massive here and cause myself to have anxiety issues surrounding food previously. He eats a small variety of food but goes through phases where it's like he never feels hungry so refuses to eat...)

#12 kpingitquiet

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:21 PM

If you want more variety, could you try adding a new fruit or new veggie each week, in rotation? Also, fish balls (fried or boiled) are popular snacks here with dipping sauces like sweet chili sauce or curried yogurt dip. I get them fairly cheaply at the local Asian supermarket or Costco, but I've seen them at Coles too.

#13 Contrebasse

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:24 PM

My kids eat most things but are a bit funny about foods mixed together (e.g. Casseroles, salads, stir fry)

So I often leave aside some of the ingredients from dinner (raw veggies, cheese etc) for them so we are all eating the same ingredients at the same time, just cooked differently. I will always give them some of ours to try at the same time.

#14 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 21 June 2017 - 12:28 PM

rain girl - my 3yo DD eats like yours - limited but healthy. She likes vegetables, will eat pieces of meat and fish, toast with hummus is a favourite and will sometimes eat baked beans. She eats all sorts of things at daycare, but at home she doesn't eat 'mixed' dishes, so I do her dinner separately. We don't do family meals at this stage - DH gets home after 8pm and I don't really feel like eating at 5.30pm.

It works for us, for the moment. I will change when needed or when our circumstances change. I don't worry too much - one of the pickiest eaters I knew growing up is now a chef!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.