high protein breakfast for kids

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 WreckTangle

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:06 PM

I need ideas for high protein breakfasts for kids that are fussy.

I need to steer clear of the usual cereals and unfortunately its back to cooking breakfasts for me.

requirements: Must be high in protein and low in carbs. child 1 is fussy and wont eat eggs of any kind unless they're used to coat a bit of meat with breadcrumbs.

#2 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:09 PM

What will they eat? Avocado? Dahl? Cold meat?

#3 HolyCow

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:10 PM

toasted cheese/ham sandwiches
pancakes with extra eggs in the mixture
sausages
smoothies with yoghurt
avocado on toast (if they eat it)

Edit - sorry, they're not really very low-carb!

Edited by HolyCow, 19 June 2017 - 01:11 PM.

#4 lozoodle

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:18 PM

My kids love plain full fat greek yoghurt with frozen raspberries and chia seeds and some crushed walnuts sprinkled on top. Loads of protein there.

Edited by lozoodle, 19 June 2017 - 01:23 PM.

#5 Staying Strange

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:24 PM

Not sure how low carb it is but I put cannellini beans or chick peas in my kids porridge then top with nuts and fruit.

#6 tiefbloom

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:45 PM

Protein pancakes?
http://www.veggiesby...ogurt-pancakes/

There are many variations if you google "protein pancakes" to suit your requirements.

How low carb are we talking here?

#7 mayahlb

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:50 PM

Baked beans?
I've started making breakfast burrito type things with shot cut bacon, egg, cheese and avo in a toasted wrap (only way one of my kids will eat "bread")
Chobani yoghurt is higher in protein then many others. I often mix this in with some stewed fruit with the kids porridge (they won't eat it plain)

#8 Riotproof

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:01 PM

tiefbloom, on 19 June 2017 - 01:45 PM, said:

Protein pancakes?
http://www.veggiesby...ogurt-pancakes/

There are many variations if you google "protein pancakes" to suit your requirements.

How low carb are we talking here?

Is it low carb or just no toast?

Baked oatmeal would possibly be an idea. You can do it in serving size muffin cups.

#9 tiefbloom

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:30 PM

View PostRiotproof, on 19 June 2017 - 02:01 PM, said:

Is it low carb or just no toast?

Baked oatmeal would possibly be an idea. You can do it in serving size muffin cups.

You can also add egg white to the oatmeal to up the protein. It's not noticeable.

#10 WreckTangle

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:39 PM

Thanks, it doesn't have to be too low carb, just trying to limit the intake and a lot of carbs are had at lunch. Breakfast seems to be the big issue because all they want is bread and cereals but i need to increase the protein to improve concerntration in the day.

#11 TequilaMockingbird

Posted 19 June 2017 - 02:56 PM

Mine are quite fond of half a bagel topped with chicken/turkey and cheese, and grilled.

Plain greek yoghurt with some maple syrup on top is also a favourite here.

Beans on toast (or just beans, warmed up in a ramekin and sprinkled with grated cheese) and peanut butter toast are also routine go-to's, and the egg-liking child can make scrambled eggs in the microwave.

Now it's colder they're also keen on having warm milk.

#12 itsallnew

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:07 PM

If they will have milk or yoghurt, you can add a couple of scoops of milk powder to up the protein.

#13 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:17 PM

My kids like a good smoothie for breakfast
- dollop of greek yoghurt, raspberries, chia seeds
OR
- this strawberry ginger zinger smoothie (I add some protein powder sometimes)

Or bacon breakfast mini-quiches -
- preheat oven (180-190?)
- grease muffin tin lightly and line with bacon (I find the streakey bacon works best. The last few times I haven't bothered to grease the muffin tin first, still came out fine)
- pop some grated cheese into each muffin spot
- whip together 5-6 eggs, a few dollops of sour cream and some herbs for taste.  I also add some other stuff - cooked spinach (drained) or cooked mushrooms, semi-dried tomatoes, olives, whatever is handy.
- pour egg mixture over cheese and bacon
- bake in oven for 15-20 minutes or until cooked.

I make these in advance. Works well for breakfast or for the lunch box.

#14 sueratbag

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:48 PM

Jamie Oliver has some tasty breakfast things for kids, like his crunchy granola. Also, I make pancakes with flour, enough eggs to make the batter 'thick shake' consistency, then enough milk to make the batter 'milk shake' consistency. start cooking when the pan is at the temperature at which a drop of batter sizzles. Yummy, and can add banana or berries to the batter, and serve with plain yoghurt,

#15 Barefoot

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:44 PM

My son was allergic to egg, now that he can tolerate them, he doesn't like them (fair enough after so long being told they are bad for him).

I make "eggy" pancakes. Which is 3 eggs beaten well, a teaspoon of sugar and a tablespoon of self raising flour. At first I let him have them with cream and maple syrup. Now he will eat them with just a bit of fruit.

We also do savoury mince on toast. Or other dinner leftovers as breakfast because we struggle with traditional breakfast foods.

Edited by Barefoot, 19 June 2017 - 04:46 PM.

#16 WreckTangle

Posted 19 June 2017 - 04:53 PM

Barefoot, on 19 June 2017 - 04:44 PM, said:

My son was allergic to egg, now that he can tolerate them, he doesn't like them (fair enough after so long being told they are bad for him).

I make "eggy" pancakes. Which is 3 eggs beaten well, a teaspoon of sugar and a tablespoon of self raising flour. At first I let him have them with cream and maple syrup. Now he will eat them with just a bit of fruit.

We also do savoury mince on toast. Or other dinner leftovers as breakfast because we struggle with traditional breakfast foods.
when he was younger I would give him leftover dinner for breakfast because he was so fussy. I may need to start that up again to increase his protein intake.

#17 Coffeegirl

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:37 PM

Why not make a high protein version of Bircher Muesli using Chobani yogurt?  

Kids get their protein for concentration and some good carbs for energy.    Something like this http://www.cassolhol...ybirchermuesli/

#18 WreckTangle

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:40 PM

Coffeegirl, on 19 June 2017 - 05:37 PM, said:

Why not make a high protein version of Bircher Muesli using Chobani yogurt?  

Kids get their protein for concentration and some good carbs for energy.    Something like this http://www.cassolhol...ybirchermuesli/
he won't eat that. The texture will turn him off it.

#19 Riotproof

Posted 19 June 2017 - 06:56 PM

WreckTangle, on 19 June 2017 - 06:40 PM, said:

he won't eat that. The texture will turn him off it.

I too, can't stand Bircher muesli. Though I do like Jamie Oliver's Granola dust. Oats, nuts, seeds, dried fruit all blitzed up and put on top of yoghurt with some fresh fruit.  It does have coffee in it which you could leave out, but it's a very small amount and I give it to my 2 yo.

#20 MCJN

Posted 19 June 2017 - 08:48 PM

There is a delicious Banana Pancake recipe from Sam Woods 28 Day challenge.

2 Eggs
1 Banana
Teaspoon of Baking Powder
Cinnamon

Top if with Greek Yoghurt and Honey

#21 tassiekiwi

Posted Yesterday, 04:13 PM

DH has Greek yoghurt with fruit and low carb granola for breakfast.
Granola: blitz some roasted nuts, add coconut flakes and a mixture of seeds.

You could also search low carb pancakes. Recipes will be eggs and almond flour.

Would he eat overnight oats? Breakfast muffins with lots of cheese and bacon?

#22 NastyMuddyPuddles

Posted Yesterday, 04:41 PM

Check out Keto Kids on FB. Lots of breakfast options that are quick and low carb.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.