Bulk Billing GP Canberra

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 marple

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:21 PM

Hi
I am just asking for someone who has recently moved to Canberra if it is right that there are no bulk billing clinics. They need to find a GP but so far can't find any bulk billing centres. Also if there aren't any of those do you need to sign on with a GP as a patient ?
They live in the city if that makes a difference but can travel.
Thanks for your help.

#2 Jingleflea

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:30 PM

I'm pretty sure the Phillip medical centre bulk bills.
And a few over Northside(I'm South so can't say which ones exactly).

#3 marple

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:33 PM

Oh thank you. They are in Braddon. Is that south or north. Sorry. I've only been there once.

Edit - having thought about it I'm assuming North.

Edited by marple, 20 June 2017 - 12:36 PM.

#4 ritten

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:34 PM

Ginninderra Medical centre bulk bills. It's a walk in clinic.

We are members of the National Health Coop so pay $100 year membership and all appointments are covered. There are a few of their clinics around.

But yeah...hard to find bilk billing in Canberra. When we first moved here we couldn't even find a GP that was taking on new patients. The only option was the walk in clinic.

#5 Jingleflea

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:40 PM

Some will BB children but you have to ask specifically  I think.

And Braddon's kinda central more than north or south.

I know my GP works at the medical centre there but she doesn't BB.
It's ridiculous how hard it is to get BB here frankly.

#6 marple

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:44 PM

Thanks I will suggest those 3 options.

#7 Dirtsa

Posted 20 June 2017 - 12:58 PM

There is the Hyperdome Medical Centre in Tuggeranong Hyperdome (south side) that bulk bills.

https://healthengine...CFc8KKgodAjwPXQ

#8 ritten

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:02 PM

We lived in Braddon and travelled to Gininderra Medical Centre as there were no closer bulk billing clinics. Well,  there were no other clinics that we could get into at all :/

#9 Hollycoddle

Posted 20 June 2017 - 01:09 PM

Nastyflea, on 20 June 2017 - 12:30 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure the Phillip medical centre bulk bills.
And a few over Northside(I'm South so can't say which ones exactly).

Phillip and Ginninderra Medical (Belconnen).  Be prepared to wait for hours though.  They should also join the National Health Co-op, they have quite a few centres now.  You pay an annual membership fee then get free care.  Not much available in the city though, most are in suburban areas.  There is Tristar Medical in Gungahlin but they may only bulk bill with Health Care Card.

Edited by Mollycoddle, 20 June 2017 - 02:17 PM.

#10 babybug15

Posted 20 June 2017 - 02:09 PM

Tristar clinic in Bruce bulk bill everyone.

Also many will bulkbill children & health care card holders. Ochre health will bulkbill children and have several locations.

#11 Lallalla

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:57 PM

There are the walk in clinics like Gininderra Medical Centre and the one in Phillip but you can find yourself waiting a long time.
There is also the national health coop which we signed up to but I have had very very little success with them - I had 1 doctor misdiagnose conjunctivitis, which is a pretty simple one IMO, and another dismiss my baby's wheezing because she is under 2 (and you can't diagnose asthma under 2) without even listening to her chest. That baby was later hospitalised with pneumonia.  

We now go to East Canberra GP out near the airport, they bulk bill under 16s and I think seniors. We've seen 3 doctors there so far and they are very good, very thorough and follow up when things are ongoing/complicated.

#12 Grrrumbles

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:05 PM

My Medical Practice, Charnwood has recently been opened and is advertising bulk billing for everyone. Not a patient so can't recommend but worth trying. About 20 mins by car from Braddon, probably double that by bus as it is an outer suburb by Canberra measures.

#13 livvie7586

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:17 PM

Phillip doesn't bulk bill adults without a health care card, but they do bulk bill kids.

Download health engine, you can search bulk billing drs.  Last time i looked there was tuggeranong, riverside (in queanbeyan), there's supposedly one in kambah, my gp gungahlin, one in franklin etc.

#14 Summer81

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:23 PM

babybug15, on 20 June 2017 - 02:09 PM, said:

Tristar clinic in Bruce bulk bill everyone.

Also many will bulkbill children & health care card holders. Ochre health will bulkbill children and have several locations.

I think Ochre health has just started charging for children. Last couple of Dr appts there I've had for my kids I've been charged :(

#15 Ariesmum

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:48 PM

Ginninderra Medical Centre bulk bill and are open every day of the year and bulk bill every day of the year. They are a walk-in Centre but you can also choose to see a particular doctor if they're on and you're prepared to wait for them to be available.

We're Southside now and have found a GP we're really happy with (they don't bulk bill though) but we've had occasions after hours where we've gone back to Ginninderra and can't fault them. I wouldn't touch National Health Coop but that's a personal preference; some of the doctors are great but I don't like the practice setup and paying "membership".

#16 ~Elphaba~

Posted 08 July 2017 - 12:08 AM

Frau, on 20 June 2017 - 12:58 PM, said:

There is the Hyperdome Medical Centre in Tuggeranong Hyperdome (south side) that bulk bills.

https://healthengine...CFc8KKgodAjwPXQ

And that is one place where you get what you pay for.  I wouldn't recommend it.

#17 babybug15

Posted 08 July 2017 - 12:22 AM

Esme81, on 20 June 2017 - 09:23 PM, said:

I think Ochre health has just started charging for children. Last couple of Dr appts there I've had for my kids I've been charged :(

:( thanks for the heads up/ I'll check before the next time I have to take DS in.

#18 ACT mum

Posted 08 July 2017 - 10:57 PM

If they cannot go bulk billed and are looking for a good long term GP, I cannot rate the Ainslie family practice high enough. And I come from a medical family.

#19 MGB

Posted 09 July 2017 - 06:59 AM

Queanbeyan GP super clinic bulk bill for kids under 16. We have seen some great Drs there.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.