Would you sleeve at 34 BMI

• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#176 AsperHacker

Posted 02 July 2017 - 08:50 PM

That's where my concern for the OP lies. I'm not really sure what she's looking to achieve without some sort of willpower/psychological help. Or reduction in calories/more movement.

I'm sure a sleeve can be an awesome tool. It's worked for many people who've needed it. But, NOONE eats more than they need and moves less than they need and is healthy.

Mollycoddle - there is no failure rate. Stbg's n=7 says so.

#177 Sandra

Posted 03 July 2017 - 08:16 AM

Good morning ladies

Can I please ask that people are careful with how they post, as there is no need to bring stereotypes in or to make someone feel bad in trying to help themselves, no matter  which method they chose.

Please take care not to antagonize other members

#178 Mummy_Em

Posted 07 January 2018 - 08:50 PM

View PostAsperHacker, on 01 July 2017 - 10:48 PM, said:

My mum just got cortisone injected into both hips (on separate days because it was so ****ing excruciating.) She's the strongest person I know.  But she's not stupid. Her joints and body and osteoarthritis aren't working for her right now.
They do them 1 at a time because they can be sensitive afterwards for a day or two, but the needle isn’t painful because they put in a local at the same time. Did it work though? For me it helped for about 3 or 4 weeks and then my GP wouldn’t let me have another one for 6 months. Physio is better but then I burned through my PHI and health care plan sessions and it’s got really pricey.

I’ve got bursitis in both hips, tendinitis in my glutes and calves, plantar fasciitis and I noticed this morning after dd3 decided to step on my crouch that my symbus pubis isn’t completely gone 4 years after my last pregnancy. I completely understand why pain is holding you back, sometimes it’s hard to walk around the house. My BMI is only 28 and my podiatrist has said my foot pain is caused by my weight gain, the Physio and GP haven’t commented on a cause but I do believe all of my pain is a combination of mild hypermobility together with weight gain. I also have sleep apnoea which I didn’t before. I’m not sure why people seem to be skeptical of extent of your health issues and pain, they are not in your body. It smacks of gaslighting, actually.

I can’t answer the questions you are asking because I don’t have any experience or expertise in WLS. I suspect most of the people in this thread are lay people too, so I’d take their impertinent comments about your mindset etc with a grain of salt.

I do know one person who has had a band and two who have had sleeves. The one with the band has ongoing reflux (several years later) and what he can eat is limited - he will never eat steak or leafy salads because they won’t pass the band. He has also regained some of the weight, but his type 2 diabetes is better controlled. I asked if he regretted the decision and he says no, he is still happy with it.

One friend who has the sleeve loves it and is the biggest advocate. She says she can eat what she likes, but, for example, a McD cheeseburger leaves her full. Initially after the surgery recovery period she couldn’t have got through half a cheeseburger. The other hasn’t had hers long, so she seems happy so far, but it’s a bit hard to tell yet.

I think you will just have to ask a proffessional. I’d be interested to hear what they say.

#179 ~river song~

Posted 07 January 2018 - 08:59 PM

View Post~Greengables~, on 29 June 2017 - 05:40 PM, said:

WW is just another diet or reduced calorie plan. They're all cheatable without willpower.

So is WLS! You will have restriction but you still have to make good choices of food you eat.

I had the omega loop mini gastric bypass 5 months ago and have lost 35kg. . I wouldn’t have the sleeve at all, many of our support group are sleeve to bypass patients. There are two types of bypass but one in particular has been around for 20 odd years with awesome results long term.
So if you can find a doctor that will do WLS

#180 Soontobegran

Posted 07 January 2018 - 09:11 PM

View PostAsperHacker, on 02 July 2017 - 08:50 PM, said:

Mollycoddle - there is no failure rate. Stbg's n=7 says so.

Did NOT say that at all. :no2:

I said I know many people close to me and for them there have been no failures.
I also said that several of these people are band to sleeve people.

#181 Mollycoddle

Posted 07 January 2018 - 09:13 PM

View Post~Greengables~, on 29 June 2017 - 05:40 PM, said:

WW is just another diet or reduced calorie plan. They're all cheatable without willpower.

Yes it IS a reduced calorie plan. Anyone who is overweight needs to reduce calories because they take in too many, that's  WHY they are overweight. There's no getting away from that fact, you can't keep eating that way and maintain a healthy weight.

#182 AsperHacker

Posted 07 January 2018 - 10:58 PM

View PostMummy_Em, on 07 January 2018 - 08:50 PM, said:

They do them 1 at a time because they can be sensitive afterwards for a day or two, but the needle isn’t painful because they put in a local at the same time. Did it work though? For me it helped for about 3 or 4 weeks and then my GP wouldn’t let me have another one for 6 months. Physio is better but then I burned through my PHI and health care plan sessions and it’s got really pricey.

I’ve got bursitis in both hips, tendinitis in my glutes and calves, plantar fasciitis and I noticed this morning after dd3 decided to step on my crouch that my symbus pubis isn’t completely gone 4 years after my last pregnancy. I completely understand why pain is holding you back, sometimes it’s hard to walk around the house. My BMI is only 28 and my podiatrist has said my foot pain is caused by my weight gain, the Physio and GP haven’t commented on a cause but I do believe all of my pain is a combination of mild hypermobility together with weight gain. I also have sleep apnoea which I didn’t before. I’m not sure why people seem to be skeptical of extent of your health issues and pain, they are not in your body. It smacks of gaslighting, actually.

I can’t answer the questions you are asking because I don’t have any experience or expertise in WLS. I suspect most of the people in this thread are lay people too, so I’d take their impertinent comments about your mindset etc with a grain of salt.

I do know one person who has had a band and two who have had sleeves. The one with the band has ongoing reflux (several years later) and what he can eat is limited - he will never eat steak or leafy salads because they won’t pass the band. He has also regained some of the weight, but his type 2 diabetes is better controlled. I asked if he regretted the decision and he says no, he is still happy with it.

One friend who has the sleeve loves it and is the biggest advocate. She says she can eat what she likes, but, for example, a McD cheeseburger leaves her full. Initially after the surgery recovery period she couldn’t have got through half a cheeseburger. The other hasn’t had hers long, so she seems happy so far, but it’s a bit hard to tell yet.

I think you will just have to ask a proffessional. I’d be interested to hear what they say.

Yeah, thanks. Actually, the pain in her hip was excruciating. A local didnt reach the point of her pain. But, this is a 6 month old thread so my mother's 6 month old injections are probably irrelevant.

#183 AsperHacker

Posted 07 January 2018 - 11:06 PM

View PostSoontobegran, on 07 January 2018 - 09:11 PM, said:

Did NOT say that at all. :no2:

I said I know many people close to me and for them there have been no failures.
I also said that several of these people are band to sleeve people.

Oh come on! Usually when I click on a thread it takes me to where I was last at. This one took me to the beginning and I read the whole thing... again. You have absolutely inferred that your n=7 stat indicates an extremely low failure rate. Along with your authoritative medical eb persona not acknowledging any failure rate AT ALL. I know you're not stupid, just stubborn, and your anecdata is not indicative of any population... except your friends.

#184 Kafkaesque

Posted 07 January 2018 - 11:28 PM

I’d forgotten this thread. I’m now 19 weeks post op sleeve. My BMI was 39 at time of op. I’m now 32kg lighter and it has totally changed the way I look at and think about food. I don’t want food. I don’t crave food and I can only eat a tiny amount.

So at 5 months out I think my attitude and habits have changed totally. Will it last for me long term, I don’t know. I hope so. I’m 7kg away from being healthy weight range.

OP what did you do?

Edited by Kafkaesque, 07 January 2018 - 11:29 PM.

#185 AsperHacker

Posted 07 January 2018 - 11:47 PM

View PostKafkaesque, on 07 January 2018 - 11:28 PM, said:

I’d forgotten this thread. I’m now 19 weeks post op sleeve. My BMI was 39 at time of op. I’m now 32kg lighter and it has totally changed the way I look at and think about food. I don’t want food. I don’t crave food and I can only eat a tiny amount.

So at 5 months out I think my attitude and habits have changed totally. Will it last for me long term, I don’t know. I hope so. I’m 7kg away from being healthy weight range.

OP what did you do?
Yay you! 32kg is a massive effort. It didn't change anything, you did, it obviously helped a lot for you but you deserve credit for every one of those kgs. Here's to the next 7kgs.  Kudos!!!

#186 ShelbyP

Posted 08 January 2018 - 07:48 AM

OP here. I made more attempts to diet but due to immobility could not lose. BMI was 37 ultimately and I could barely walk. My GP referred me to an orthopaedic surgeon who informed me that my type of Achilles tendinosis  would mean continued weight gain of around 5kgs a year. Long story short, had the sleeve less than 2 weeks ago, over 8 kgs down already and pain is alleviating already.

As an aside, this was the first place I asked the question as I was not familiar with fb groups, but since joining them I see how prevalent WLS has become, even amongst 'lower' BMI patients. Having said that, I don't think a BMI of 37 and being 35 kgs overweight and immobile from chronic injury deserved the negativity shown in this thread above.

Edited by ~Greengables~, 08 January 2018 - 08:04 AM.

#187 paddington_

Posted 08 January 2018 - 08:01 AM

Good on you OP.
I'm almost 2 years post op.
Started at 102kg (bmi 42).
Now 65kg (BMI 27).
I still have some weight to lose, which will 100% be down to what I put in my mouth, but overall,  I am glad I did it and wouldn't change anything.
I had a rough trot in the first 6 weeks and regretted everything.
After that passed it was Smooth sailing.
Nothing makes me vomit.  I can eat anything. Life is great.
Good luck on your journey :)

#188 Kafkaesque

Posted 08 January 2018 - 08:12 AM

View Post~Greengables~, on 08 January 2018 - 07:48 AM, said:

OP here. I made more attempts to diet but due to immobility could not lose. BMI was 37 ultimately and I could barely walk. My GP referred me to an orthopaedic surgeon who informed me that my type of Achilles tendinosis  would mean continued weight gain of around 5kgs a year. Long story short, had the sleeve less than 2 weeks ago, over 8 kgs down already and pain is alleviating already.

As an aside, this was the first place I asked the question as I was not familiar with fb groups, but since joining them I see how prevalent WLS has become, even amongst 'lower' BMI patients. Having said that, I don't think a BMI of 37 and being 35 kgs overweight and immobile from chronic injury deserved the negativity shown in this thread above.

I hope it’s going well for you! I hated my life the first 3 months. I regretted the decision for a long time.  I do still have regret at times now but that’s getting better each day as my mind catches up.

#189 Mummy_Em

Posted 08 January 2018 - 10:45 AM

View PostKafkaesque, on 08 January 2018 - 08:12 AM, said:

I hope it’s going well for you! I hated my life the first 3 months. I regretted the decision for a long time.  I do still have regret at times now but that’s getting better each day as my mind catches up.

What did/do you regret? Is it discomfort or the social/emotional aspect of eating like you did before? I believe when you are first sleeved your stomach capacity is only about the width of a biro, that would take some getting used to.

I agree 100% agree OP about the tone in this thread. Some really unnecessary judgemental and demeaning language.

Edited by Mummy_Em, 08 January 2018 - 10:50 AM.

#190 SelceLisbeth

Posted 08 January 2018 - 11:21 AM

View Post~Greengables~, on 08 January 2018 - 07:48 AM, said:

I just read this thread as I was recently offered a referral for WLS at a BMI of 34 due to my other medical problems and the strain that extra weight has on me combined with mobility problems making exercise much harder.

I initially baulked at the idea, but I have to say, if I didnt have to care for the kids, I'd probably go for it.

Well done OP. I am sorry that people seemed to get so judgemental in here. I am glad that you are feeling much pain already.

#191 Kafkaesque

Posted 08 January 2018 - 08:55 PM

View PostMummy_Em, on 08 January 2018 - 10:45 AM, said:

What did/do you regret? Is it discomfort or the social/emotional aspect of eating like you did before? I believe when you are first sleeved your stomach capacity is only about the width of a biro, that would take some getting used to.

I agree 100% agree OP about the tone in this thread. Some really unnecessary judgemental and demeaning language.

All of it. The op it’s self was fine and little pain or discomfort. I since developed reflux that I can’t control. There is no longer any pleasure in eating. Things dont taste the same anymore and the tiny amounts I eat still leave me feeling nauseaous. I don’t over eat but still feel ill constantly. The amount of thought that goes into eating is exhausting. The need to focus on protein over other foods is just hard work.

All that said I’m feeling better about it now and have had a big mindset change. I think with a few more months I will be ok with it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.