Do's and Don'ts

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ItIsComplicated

Posted 08 July 2017 - 04:49 PM

Thought I would start a thread where we can post things to avoid and share somethings that are helpful. I'll post some tonight when Bub is in bed.

#2 10YearsLater

Posted 08 July 2017 - 05:11 PM

According to my husband: don't ride your bike. He's super paranoid now I'm pregnant. I often ride on my own, fast, early in the morning. Probably doesn't help that not too long ago he got a phone call from me 'I've just come off my bike, I've called the ambulance, I may have broken my collarbone but not sure. Can you come pick up my bike?'  Oops.

#3 10YearsLater

Posted 08 July 2017 - 05:15 PM

The health professional and antenatal dietitian in me:

DO
Keep active and try and remain as fit as possible right to the end
Keep an eye on your weight and try not to gain too much (beyond the recommendations)
Buy that cute damn outfit. Bugger how much it cost
Educate yourself about what is to come including breastfeeding, sleep routines and common ailments.

DON'T
Eat for two but DO eat twice as well.
Expect your birth to go according to plan
Wake up at 3am when you're 38+6 weeks and clean the tile grout with a toothbrush no matter how much you want to 😂 Yes, I did do this!

#4 ItIsComplicated

Posted 08 July 2017 - 08:37 PM

Push bike?

I Agree with all yours especially not eating for 2 and keeping active! And definitely educate yourself as much as possible. Sleep and routine never crossed our minds, we are still having soooo much trouble with DD. Also i strongly suggest if you plan on breastfeeding take a class.

Some others-
DO
-Drink 2-3 litres of water, your body needs the extra plus it hydrates your skin. I also made a great mix of bio oil and coconut oil to keep my skin hydrated last time and will do again
-once comfortable make 3 lists 1.items YOU wish to buy 2. Items you will look for second hand 3. Items you are happy for OTHERS to buy (especially handy around baby shower time). By creating these list early you can layby big items when they are on sale etc
- expect the unexpected, there are lots of symptoms people neglect to tell you about
- expect judgment and a lot of it, people love judging pregnant ladies and mothers
- take bump pictures
-trust your gut if you think something is up always get it checked, you be surprised how early mothers instinct kicks in
-look after yourself and for FTM's spend as much alone and couple time possible really soak it up. Go to the flash restaurant etc! You will thank me later

DONT
- Beat yourself up if you slip up on your diet, everyone is human
- take people judgment/advice to heart

I'm sure I'll think of more but that's a start

#5 10YearsLater

Posted 09 July 2017 - 04:05 AM

Love these! What a great idea. I agree with all of them ❤

#6 Summer81

Posted 26 July 2017 - 02:43 PM

These are all great! Not sure if have much to add, I agree with the above.

- Don't go in with any expectations on how pregnancy and especially the birth will be- you'll be less disappointed that way

- do be kind to yourself and your body- it's easy to overdo it and hormones mean you're easily able to hurt yourself.  

- I know this is said by everyone- but DO rest whenever you can

- ditto exerciae- do keep up fitness, even just gentle fitness. It'll help with coping with pregnancy, labour and post labour recovery!

- don't compare your belly to anyone else! And don't listen to people who comment on it because without a doubt you'll be told wow you are huge and gee you're small, sometimes in the same day :)

#7 angelskies

Posted 27 July 2017 - 04:07 PM

Do
- be clear on what you want in terms of people at hospital waiting for buns to be born. Firm rules needed about extended family/family expecting to be in the room with you when bubs  arrives - be VERY clear now about SMS contact people ringing for updates etc nothing worse then being in active labor n being told there are 15 ppl in the waiting room or your partner having to leave every 20 mins to update everyone or answer phone calls on the friggin delivery ward phone to update people
- do organise sitters early if you have other kids n multiple back up plans as stress is not your friend
- talk to family about vaccinations/ smoking etc get this out of the way n understood NOW to avoid the tantrums from adults (!!) who can not understand boundaries
- book a newborn photographer now march is apparently going to be BUSYYYY

Don't
- bend over backwards for everybody they may have expectations of what their grandchild birth will be like but it's your birth your body n your hoo ha going through this - make sure you are on the same page with your partner with this stuff!!!
- worry too much everyone's pregnancy/bump/ timeline is different don't compare too much the stress can be huge!!

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.