Harmony test

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Mon24

Posted 12 August 2017 - 10:36 AM

Is anyone considering doing the harmony test at 10 weeks? I am only young so considered low risk however I would love to do it purely to find out the sex.

#2 tac87

Posted 12 August 2017 - 11:23 AM

Hi Mon
If i get that far along i will 100% as we have a very good chance of a boy being affected by the gene defect i carry (that is what our son passed away from 3 yrs ago) Ive been told to get it done at 8 weeks though. It will either take a bit of pressure off if its a girl or be a very nerve wracking wait to get the 12wk amniotic testing to check. Taking it day by day atm as that all makes me feel sick!
Such a personal choice for every individual couple i think.
T x

#3 lyris16

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:52 PM

I did the test last time and will definitely be doing it again. As I'm older I feel it provides me with additional peace of mind (in conjunction with other standard ultrasound results). We didn't find out the sex last time, but we will with this one. So that's an added bonus! :)

#4 betsy1211

Posted 12 August 2017 - 05:18 PM

This is the NIPT? Absolutely will be doing it.   It is a personal choice but, for me, science has given us something that is so incredibly accurate - from a health perspective - that I think it's necessary.  Finding out the sex is secondary but as I like to be prepared I'll be asking.

#5 BellaLuna88

Posted 12 August 2017 - 05:55 PM

Yes we will be doing it. Did it for bub #1. I am also low risk but it is for piece of mind and I loved knowing the gender so early!

#6 stace_wa

Posted 12 August 2017 - 08:12 PM

We likely won't. I love the idea of it and were going to with DD of our nt scan looked risky, but it was ok. If I did the harmony first , the Dr didn't want to do a scan with DD and I wanted that scan. I needed to see her to believe she was in there and growing ok.
This time is a bit the same except the cost also factors a bit too. If my scan comes back at risk, we will do nipt rather than any other testing

#7 ms_motchy

Posted 12 August 2017 - 09:54 PM

We did the test with DD (low risk) and I will definitely do the same for Baby #2 at 11 weeks this time round. I knew DD was a girl all along and I think I know what we are having this time too. Can't wait to see if I am right!

#8 Remeud

Posted 14 August 2017 - 04:03 PM

Definitely- I had it with my DD and it was such a relief to know that she was healthy both in terms of trisomies and sex chromosomes. Also a great bonus to find out she was a girl.
It was a hoot to announce to our families that we were expecting a daughter!

#9 MissTR

Posted 14 August 2017 - 04:40 PM

My doc put it on my to do list at 10 weeks so I'll do whatever she's recommended

#10 RoxyKH

Posted 14 August 2017 - 05:13 PM

Hoping not to sound rude but isn't it quite pricey though to do the test purely to find out gender? I did the other standard test that's combined with the ultrasound as the doctor recommended it.
I want to find out but I'm going to wait for the ultrasound in about 4 to 5 weeks.
However, you do what makes you happy.
Good luck!

Edited by RoxyKH, 14 August 2017 - 05:15 PM.

#11 MissTR

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:21 PM

It tests for chromosomal abnormalities, finding out the gender is secondary, in fact we probably don't want to know. Because I'm an older my doc wants to play it safe.

#12 MickeyBoo

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:35 PM

Can I ask what the Harmony Test is please?

#13 betsy1211

Posted 14 August 2017 - 08:05 PM

Hi Mickey - it's a brand name for an NIPT - non-invasive prenatal test.

It is a blood test (so absolutely no risk to the foetus if you get it).  The test separates your blood from "other DNA" which is the foetus. From that test they can then run checks for the likelihood of abnormalities. They can't check things like spina bifida which is why you still need the 12 week test, but can do down syndrome, sex chromosome abnormalities, and other concerns - to about a 99% accuracy.  It's very safe and a lot more accurate than other tests.  

As an added bonus (if you're interested) it can tell you the sex, obviously much earlier than an ultrasound.

The downside? It's not covered by Medicare as it's a relatively new test.  My test will be about $750 and will take 2 weeks to get the results.  Other places can be as cheap as $500 and faster response.... because the test will be done in Australia.  Unfortunately my OB sends his tests to the US (hence the extra time).

#14 Mon24

Posted 14 August 2017 - 09:44 PM

View PostRoxyKH, on 14 August 2017 - 05:13 PM, said:

Hoping not to sound rude but isn't it quite pricey though to do the test purely to find out gender? I did the other standard test that's combined with the ultrasound as the doctor recommended it.
I want to find out but I'm going to wait for the ultrasound in about 4 to 5 weeks.
However, you do what makes you happy.
Good luck!

Not rude at all 😊 The price doesn't concern us, we spend $500 out for dinner with friends on the weekend so I'm happy to spend it to know the baby's gender early on and also having the peace of mind about any potential issues.

#15 aquarium2

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:10 PM

Until recently only Sonic in the USA had a lab that could run the tests and produce the results, however more recently Sonic have developed the capability to run the results here.

http://www.sonicgene...d-in-australia/

More information about the products here;

http://www.sonicgene.../nipt/patients/

#16 Peashy

Posted 15 August 2017 - 01:05 PM

yes we are doing it. Primarily for gender but also so we know if any issues early on. I think it will cost $400-$500 from memory.

#17 stace_wa

Posted 16 August 2017 - 12:41 PM

I was just reading a factsheet online about the Harmony test through Pathwest. It's $525 here in WA. There is a note saying that maternal weight plays a factor and if gestation isn't far enough along or maternal weight is high there may not be enough fetal DNA in the blood for testing. My BMI is currently 35.6 and I'm 110kg but only a size 18, so not huge, but not little either. I'll have to talk to my Dr further on whether this will be a viable option for me due to my weight...

Edited by stace_wa, 16 August 2017 - 12:42 PM.

#18 betsy1211

Posted 16 August 2017 - 01:00 PM

Stace - you and I are about the same and my doctor hasn't said anything about it not being an option / possible problem.  In fact, he said that if they run the test and it comes out that they couldn't get enough DNA, then they do the test again free of charge.  I've already got the referral to get the test at 10 weeks.

#19 stace_wa

Posted 16 August 2017 - 01:21 PM

Good to know Betsy! I'll have a think about it more and talk to my Dr after my scan next week if all goes well there

#20 BellaLuna88

Posted 16 August 2017 - 03:13 PM

Stace we are a similar size and I had NIPT with my first pregnancy with no issue.

#21 Teah

Posted 20 September 2017 - 01:16 PM

I remember last pregnancy I was about 11wks pregnant and harmony came back inconclusive, due to not enough fetal DNA. So it can happen. I was a size 10 nd weighed about 65kilo so I guess it all depends.

This time I had it done at 10wks and I hope there's enough fetal DNA coz I really don't want to have to do it again.

I'm in Adelaide and it cost me $400 in 2015 and it cost me $430 now in 2017.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.