Caesar and picking up baby

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 hotsonfornowhere

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:30 PM

OK this may sound stupid (and I will ask my midwife the next time I see her) but I just wanted to ask....

After your C-section how long was it before you were picking up your baby from the crib next to your bed in hospital?

For my C-section last time round I was by myself with my baby the first night (DH had to go home for DS1). I'm certain the midwife would have told me to buzz for help but I didn't take that as an explicit 'don't pick up your baby by yourself..'

Anyhow, the main thing I remember from the C-section recovery is the pain, the extremely large amount of pain I was in. I ended up having to fight for the C-section (medical reasons) and I remember having tears in my eyes thinking 'what have I done to myself' :lol:

Anyhow I would like to see if I can have a better recovery this time round, and leaning over and picking up the baby froom the first night popped into my head. I couldn't bring myself to annoy the midwives - I figured they had more important things to do!

So after all of that, I just wanted to ask about other peoples experiences :)

#2 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:38 PM

I had mine in the evening, so the first night the epidural was still in for pain relief. The midwives told me to buzz if I needed to pick her up (and I did), I was not able to - I tried when DD started having problems with some mucus, luckily the midwifes came quickly.

I had an emergency c-section with no pain in the days or weeks afterwards.

#3 FeralGiggelosaurus

Posted 14 August 2017 - 06:44 PM

Both of my Emergency c-sections happened at night and I was extremely out of it after long labors and recovery times.

So little ones ended up in the nursery cared for by the midwifes for the first night while i got some rest. (im talking midnight till 6am ish)
I had them with me after that though and was fine to get up and carry, feed etc after 6 or so hours.

#4 Caribou

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:09 PM

Soon as the catheter was out I was picking my baby up that was about 12 hours. I did have the bed propped in a way to make it easy to get out. So get friendly with the remote and familiarise yourself with it! The more you move (though gently!) The easier it Becomes and the less it hurts. What hurts the most is being stationary too long.

#5 Mrs Weasley

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:20 PM

I was picking him up within 8 or so hours after DH went home.  I found raising the bed as high as it would go helped immensely.

#6 hotsonfornowhere

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:22 PM

Thanks for the replies! I was careful with how I picked him up etc. I just must be a major wuss when it comes to pain! :lol:

#7 c.sanders

Posted 15 August 2017 - 01:27 AM

Op don't try to be strong. Get them to give you all pain relief you are eligible for. I certainly did and I'm a wuss too and each time I have left the hospital very quickly because I made sure I was taking the medication even before the pain strated.  I've definitely asked for endone while in recovery.
First day I would probably ask for help in getting baby out of the cot since it's hard to move around but you can definitely carry your baby. Don't feel bad for being in pain or asking for help.  That's why they are there. To support you through this super tough time.

#8 Bono25

Posted 15 August 2017 - 02:16 AM

I didn't have an emergency, but I had help the first couple of nights.  The midwife actually got really cross with me for not calling her when I got out of bed.  I felt the same as you.  Also definitely ask for pain relief.  I was on endone and another one called targen, or something like that, with the option of morphine on the first night which I didn't need.  From what other friends have told me there is a massive difference between an elective and emergency caesarean,  so don't expect it to be the same as last time.
All the best

#9 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:57 AM

Another who asks for pain relief and what the schedule was.

So I didn't wait for pain or wait for them to come, but as 4hrs hit (pain scheduling) I would buzz for nurse and meds.

I had 9pm emerg cs and was up at 8am showering and picking up baby. For my 2-3pm cs, I was bedbound until the next morning too, so baby was in nursery overnight and only brought in for feeds.

#10 Hini

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:10 PM

Take all the pain medication and ask for help.

Your recovery will be faster if you ask for help.

I buzzed the midwives to help me with almost every feed to make sure latch was good and for help picking up baby. Even with my first when I had DH there the whole time!

#11 lucky 2

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:30 PM

I'm sure the mw's would rather you call them for help in the first day or two rather than pick both you and baby up off the floor and write endless pages of incident reports.
Its a safety issue for both mum and baby, you could faint or drop baby due to post surgical complications or being on narcotic medication.
Sorry if I scare you but both of you need care and protection whilst you recover.
All the best.

#12 WaitForMe

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:46 PM

I don't think the midwives had any expectation of me getting up the first night, and I didn't. I don't think I could've anyway, primarily due to pain but also I had a catheter in.

The next night I got up ALOT. DD2 was constantly waking with dirty nappies... I actually wish I called on the midwives more that second night. Perhaps not every time, but I do think I did a little damage to myself that night!

#13 hotsonfornowhere

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:45 PM

View Postlucky 2, on 15 August 2017 - 12:30 PM, said:

I'm sure the mw's would rather you call them for help in the first day or two rather than pick both you and baby up off the floor and write endless pages of incident reports.
Its a safety issue for both mum and baby, you could faint or drop baby due to post surgical complications or being on narcotic medication.
Sorry if I scare you but both of you need care and protection whilst you recover.
All the best.

You're all good! I guess that's part of it, I'm not exactly sure what is expected of me. But I've been reading old posts about C-sections and noticing differences in what people were doing their first night etc.

I will definitely talk to my wonderful midwife more about it :)

#14 Monden

Posted 16 August 2017 - 04:39 PM

I had my elective Caesar at around 3.45pm. I stayed in bed with a catheter in until morning but once that came out I was up and sent into the shower by myself. No troubles at all and minimal pain. I was able to pick up baby and care for him.

I never needed to call for medication. I was given panadol and ibuprofen at regular intervals but never needed endone etc.

I was home within 40 hours and just took panadol and nurofen as needed.

Edited by Monden, 16 August 2017 - 04:42 PM.

#15 Lallalla

Posted 16 August 2017 - 07:13 PM

DH stayed with me on the 1st night both times. If he hadn't I would totally have buzzed the nurses for help. Actually now that I think about it first time around (when I'd had her in the evening and still couldn't feel my legs) I did because I could not wake him up, I even tried throwing a wet flannel at him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.