Body after c section, does everyone have the flap?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 PandoBox

Posted 12 September 2017 - 05:55 PM

Hopefully Its not a big deal that I'm starting a whole new thread but I figured its a completely separate topic from recovery.

Im interested to know from those of you who have had c sections, if everyone gets the dreaded stomach flap that they can't get rid of ?

Whoever finds out about my c section tells me this and that my stomach will never look the same without a tummy tuck.

Ultimately whatever happens happens, but I'm curious to know from women who have had c sections... if this pouch/ flap can be minimised/removed with some hard work and healthy eating?

EDIT: I just realised there is a whole new section for body after birth :blush:

Edited by PandoBox, 12 September 2017 - 05:57 PM.

#2 KnightsofNi

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:00 PM

I did.

#3 PocketIcikleflakes

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:02 PM

I don't have a c section flap. Two c sections. I've got a bulge under my belly button but it's a long way away from the scar and not in any way related. It's just too many cupcakes lol.

#4 Hummingbird82

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:03 PM

I had a c section in 2011 and a year later my stomach was pretty flat with no flap. I didn't exercise other than walking my DS in the pram. A few of my friends have had c sections too and not been left with a flap.

#5 HolierThanCow

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:12 PM

I have a bit of overhang, but I had that after my vaginal birth too. My sister has had two VB and has the same thing.
I think it's genetic. It looked worse after the first c-section but changed over the following year. I had swelling that went down over time.

#6 Luci

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:21 PM

I have had 3 c-sections and do not have a flap.

#7 rubyskye

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:24 PM

I've had one csection and don't have a flap/overhang. My tummy went back to normal 😊

#8 c.sanders

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:25 PM

I do but it's the least of my problems overall with my health and body.  :(

Edited by c.sanders, 12 September 2017 - 06:26 PM.

#9 sunshine_days

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:28 PM

l've had 2 c/sections and you wouldn't even know it. Even the scar is right on the hairline and faint (l had them in in 2005 and 2006.

#10 mumofsky

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:37 PM

Mine looked a bit flappish at first and then went away with time.

#11 harryhoo

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:37 PM

I had two vaginal births. But carried both babies very low. As a result I have some excess wrinkly skin that I guess might be considered a flap? Even when I was my smallest post DD who is now 2.5, it was still there. I just wear high waisted tights, swimmers etc!

ETA for spelling

Edited by harryhoo, 12 September 2017 - 06:37 PM.

#12 Soontobegran

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:52 PM

No not everyone gets a flap but some women who have vaginal births have them too. It depends on your skin elasticity, the amount of weight you put on and your abdominal muscles.
I looked after many women who only had a thin scar that gave a clue as to a previous C/S.

#13 Rummonkey

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:55 PM

2 c sections. No flap and barely any scar, it's almost invisible now. Am 2 years post op.

#14 FretfulMum

Posted 12 September 2017 - 06:59 PM

2 CS here & no flap. Stomach is pretty much back to how it was before DS2 was born

#15 rosie28

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:11 PM

My tummy has gone back to normal twice now. I could stand to lose a couple of kilos after baby number 2 but I have no flap or overhang, just a silver scar.

#16 hmmmmm

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:19 PM

I had/have no flap. I woke flat after c section but since putting weight on still no flap. Scar is hardly visible besides in centre where wasn't healed when took staples out. I'm unsure if genetics tho as all my family has had natural births.

#17 Lallalla

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:20 PM

I've had 2 c-sections, didn't have it at all the first time despite not wearing any of those very uncomfortable looking and expensive "recovery" garments, a year later it was just about back to normal when I got pregnant again. 2nd time around I do have one, even though I was wearing compression tube thingy (that they hand out for muscle seperation). But I think that has more to do with the excess skin from having twins and a short torso. 16 months on I have come to conclusion my bikini days are very over, unless someone would like to fund a tummy tuck....

#18 Silverstreak

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:40 PM

I believe I have a veranda, lol! Currently losing weight and very interested to see what will be revealed at the end of it!

#19 Green lady

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:45 PM

4 c sections, no flap,  no overhang, no scar bulge. I am slim build and after 4th pregnancy my stomach has not exactly popped back as the skin is a bit more stretched its pretty flat, just not like it once was and other people looking at it would probably wonder what I was talking about! I do minimal exercise - only walking and don't do sit ups or anything.

I think your skin type is the main determinant of outcome. Some people I know have an overhang from a natural birth because their stretched skin just never went back to the way it was.

#20 Franny and Zooey

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:54 PM

Had three natural births and have a flap!

#21 Hini

Posted 12 September 2017 - 08:48 PM

Two c sections and I'm in good shape. Size 8. Pilates 5 times a week and I cannot shift my pouch. It's shrinking but I doubt I'll ever get rid of it totally. Nancy ganz is my best friend.

#22 a letter to Elise.

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:13 PM

3 c sections. Flat tummy after the first two, no flap. Third time round, I got cellulitis which gave me some scar tissue internally, but only on one side. So one side is flat, the other has a weird flappy bit and a dent. You can't see it in clothes.

#23 Mpjp is feral

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:16 PM

No pouch here - I'm not sure what it would even look like. I have quite a big, puckered scar but ds was a code blue type emergency c-section so I don't care in the slightest. Ob admitted it wasn't her neatest work, but she did save ds's life so I'll forgive her ;)

#24 PandoBox

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:43 PM

ooo very interesting...it seems to vary so much. I wonder if it has anything to do with how much weight you put on during pregnancy.

I'm glad at least that it can go either way !

#25 WaitForMe

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:47 PM

The skin is I guess kinda tight along the line, which creates a "shadow" more than a flap.

Honestly, a flap is the least of my worries, the stomach muscles didn't bounce back anywhere near as well as they did after my first child :(

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.