Harvey Weinstein sacked due to 'new information' *Trigger warning - sexual harassment and assault*

• Please log in to reply
328 replies to this topic

#1 archyandmehitabel

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:19 AM

So Weinstein has been sacked from his company because allegedly  'new information' about his behaviour has come to light, according to the directors

Ah, yeah, nah.  The company had paid off 8 women over several decades because of Weinstein's sexual harrassment and these were not the only instances.  So the fact that Weinstein is a serial sexual harrasser of women can hardly be 'new information' can it?

Call me a cynic but I'd say that the 'new information' is that the media have the story and are giving it a lot of coverage, so omigod the company has to look as if we care though we obviously didn't give a flying fluck about it before.

#2 Nobody Cool

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:23 AM

This is the Bill Cosby situation all over again.

How many women does it take before a sexual predator is finally held accountable?

Sounds like the start of a horrible joke...

#3 archyandmehitabel

Posted 09 October 2017 - 11:52 AM

View PostFresh Start, on 09 October 2017 - 11:43 AM, said:

I follow an American comedian on twitter who reckons a second story with more damaging stuff was going to drop and he is going before it hits.

If that’s right I bet his employers knew and, as you say, the issue is media attention.

I wondered whether there was another one coming up.  It might be more damaging in what happened, or possibly there is a victim who won't take hush money *.

* I don't blame the 8 women who took a settlement - women in these situations typically end up with ruined reputations and dead careers

#4 miriams

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:12 PM

Hmmm. I wonder if his criticism of corruption in the Bush administration and of his decision to release Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 9/11 has anything to do with all this though ... including the allegations.

#5 purplekitty

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:50 PM

View Postmiriams, on 09 October 2017 - 12:12 PM, said:

Hmmm. I wonder if his criticism of corruption in the Bush administration and of his decision to release Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 9/11 has anything to do with all this though ... including the allegations.
Please explain. Do you think the allegations are false?

The women who have come forward, and are accusing him very publicly, are incredibly brave.
Rose McGowan and. Ashley Judd.

#6 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 09 October 2017 - 12:59 PM

I believe all the women who have come forward and they are incredibly brave.

the political mudslinging - as always - is ongoing - of course Hillary is guilty of his crimes by mere association - the Atlantic posed the question -

How will Democrats deal with sexual-harassment claims against top fundraiser Harvey Weinstein? @GrahamDavidA asks theatln.tc/2xjNcxY

To which one tweeter replied "well, we won't make him president". Boom.

#7 Froyohoho

Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:02 PM

I thought they'd already said they were donating the Miramax contributions to women's support services.

#8 purplekitty

Posted 09 October 2017 - 01:27 PM

It's strange how most of the blowback and blame for the Weinstein atrocity seems aimed at women,HC figures prominently.

#9 Nobody Cool

Posted 09 October 2017 - 02:37 PM

View Postpurplekitty, on 09 October 2017 - 01:27 PM, said:

It's strange how most of the blowback and blame for the Weinstein atrocity seems aimed at women,HC figures prominently.

I just can't with the level of stupid on the internet.

#10 purplekitty

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:51 PM

It is absolutely rage inducing watching the level of blame that is being directed at women for Weinstein's abuse continuing for so long.

Why didn't high profile women stop him and speak up if it was common knowledge?
I believe there are a few male actors in Hollywood.

Of course it is the 'liberal elites' who protect sexual predators.
Trump,Ailes,O'Reilly anyone.

#11 seayork2002

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:57 PM

Male or female - if you have knowledge of an offence committed against someone and do not speak up you are in the wrong.

And using 'oh but I want to further my career so I didn't want to say anything' is also wrong

#12 purplekitty

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:11 PM

View Postseayork2002, on 12 October 2017 - 01:57 PM, said:

Male or female - if you have knowledge of an offence committed against someone and do not speak up you are in the wrong.

And using 'oh but I want to further my career so I didn't want to say anything' is also wrong
The situation around sexual assault and power is so simple I'm surprised they just didn't follow that advice.

#13 seayork2002

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:16 PM

View Postpurplekitty, on 12 October 2017 - 02:11 PM, said:

The situation around sexual assault and power is so simple I'm surprised they just didn't follow that advice.

How many less victims would there be if people did speak up Jimmy Saville, Rochdale, Robert Hughes to just name a few

#14 steppy

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:17 PM

Of course they should speak up, but I don't know how many would still be blamed for not speaking up if they had.

How many women out there who were harrassed by this guy aren't being blamed because nobody knows who they are anyway?

This is a guy who can make or break your career, not someone who serves hotdogs at the corner. And let's face it, most of us have not charged men who have sexually harrassed us, because we know how pointless it is.

There is either going to be no evidence or it's going to be our fault because we dressed nicely or smiled or something and even if the guy is charged, the other people you work with will act like you did something wrong.

Edited by steppy, 12 October 2017 - 02:20 PM.

#15 purplekitty

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:19 PM

View Postseayork2002, on 12 October 2017 - 02:16 PM, said:

How many less victims would there be if people did speak up Jimmy Saville, Rochdale, Robert Hughes to just name a few
I'm fairly sure people did speak up,they were not heard and they suffered again.

Power.

#16 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:22 PM

Or they did speak up but they werent believed....

#17 steppy

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:31 PM

View PostLucrezia Borgia, on 12 October 2017 - 02:22 PM, said:

Or they did speak up but they werent believed....

Or they were believed but they were asked .. do you really want to go down this path? It's just your word against his and he can afford better lawyers.

#18 purplekitty

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:34 PM

Those that merely refused his advances suffered consequences.

#19 Bandwagon

Posted 12 October 2017 - 02:47 PM

With the many years of insightful threads it has been involved in, the willful ignorance is just too frustrating. B L O C K.

#20 Bam1

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:10 PM

View Poststeppy, on 12 October 2017 - 02:31 PM, said:

Or they were believed but they were asked .. do you really want to go down this path? It's just your word against his and he can afford better lawyers.

Or they were children and were told this is what you do.

Your trolling has reached a new low Seayork

#21 seayork2002

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:15 PM

View PostBam1, on 12 October 2017 - 03:10 PM, said:

Or they were children and were told this is what you do.

Your trolling has reached a new low Seayork

I was referring to all the celebrities now coming out of the woodwork saying 'Oh I knew about him for years' well why didn't they say something

how is this trolling?

#22 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:21 PM

Well the story is gaining momentum - his star is falling, his grip on power weakening. It's like the sexual abuse cases in the church - people knew for decades - longer, actually. But for a long time no one "came forward" - not to any one who would listen and who could do anything effective about it. Then the tide turned - a critical mass (if you like) was reached, and then the stories could no longer be ignored, covered up and/or denied.

#23 TrixieBelden

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:21 PM

Amazing how quickly one can establish the seriousness with which someone views sexual harassment and assault by simply timing how long it takes them to shift the focus from the perpetrator to witnesses or victims.

#24 tres

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:39 PM

Women really are hated. Something so grotesque and seemingly irrefutable comes to the surface and in the blink of an eye we're explaining and defending ourselves.

#25 Bam1

Posted 12 October 2017 - 03:40 PM

View Postseayork2002, on 12 October 2017 - 03:15 PM, said:

I was referring to all the celebrities now coming out of the woodwork saying 'Oh I knew about him for years' well why didn't they say something

how is this trolling?

You do realise the victims that didn’t speak up for the first sexual predator you mentioned were children

And you are quite aware of how you troll

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.