Issues with day care and me. What should I do?

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#26 Oriental lily

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:06 PM

Op you already sound run of your feet and this routine works for YOU!! Your paying good money for a service that should work for YOU! . When I used childcare I dropped and picked up my kids when it suited me .  Never  once was there ever a hint of displeasure from the centre I sent my girls to . It's utterly bizarre considering so many work places ect now have shift work ? Sounds like there is a culture of them being 'control freaks ' if your getting grief from more than one worker . Try and ignore or if not arrange s meeting with the director to lay it out why they really need to butt out!

#27 c.sanders

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:11 PM

I am paying. I do get government rebates etc but they charge about $170 per day for 2 kids and an extra $100 (I think, rates just went up) for the baby, so $270 per day when all 3 go.

#28 c.sanders

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:12 PM

The email was written like it was a generic one sent to everyone but it was clearly only sent to me.

#29 Nobodyelse

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:13 PM

I understand what they are saying but it really isn't any of their business unless it is causing your child distress to be dropped off late in the morning. The PP is right that childrens who are routinely left mid morning have a hard time separating and adjusting, often resulting is crying until nap time several hours later. If your DS is fine with being dropped at that time, then really it isn't any consequence what time he comes in. I see kids come as late as noon or 1pm all the time.

They shouldn't be pressuring you to swap days. That's on the nose.

Morning tea is almost always around 9:30, done by 10am. This is across every centre I go to and I work for a week at time in more than 40 throughout the year. By 10:30, the cook is preparing lunch and it is their busiest part of the day so I understand why they can't accomodate your request. Ask them if it is ok if you bring fruit for them but remember that many centres also start feeding them lunch around 11:30, so you might be putting your kid in a position to not be hungry at lunch tim.

Edited by Nobodyelse, 11 October 2017 - 01:14 PM.

#30 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:22 PM

Sound dodgy to me. Our child care centre had kids arriving all times of the day, generally if they arrived before lunch and nap time then the careers were happy. Especially if it was predictable, like you are.

My friend was a nurse on night shift and the centre even suggested to her to do drop off at around 10-11 as that was between morning tea and lunch and would give my friend a few hours before her shift started.

You're paying for a full day, doesn't matter when you arrive. And your day is your day, they can't push you around just because you're not working, that's unfair, people have many reasons that they need child care.

As for fruit, well, if that's part of their structure then I guess you better bring fruit. But I wouldn't be bringing in anything of great quantity if your kids miss fruit time. Just grab an apple.

I get the impression they just don't like you for some reason and are trying to push your family out. Which is completely unprofessional and unfair. I don't like your chances of getting more days for your youngest if they have an attitude against you.

#31 c.sanders

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:35 PM

They behave like this with everyone. So if I refuse to change days they start calling up others etc. I really thought this is all normal stuff but now I'm questioning it. If I was to assume what is happening,  the centre changed the main person in charge about a year ago and I'm assuming she gets the lower level staff to pass on these types of messages etc. She had a stand off with me when she was refusing to accept them becaue she thought it was pointless one day when I had to bring them at 11 am.  I told her that a check in time wasn't provided so she can't refuse to take them. I had an exam that day. From then they made it policy they must be in by 11am.  The older 2 don't nap anymore.

#32 wallofdodo

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:38 PM

We took our child in at 12:30 yesterday. We rang up and let them know before hand.

It's none of their business. And what is with the picking up earlier.

I would be looking for a different center.

#33 Bugster

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:38 PM

I don't understand why it's an issue if your kids turn up "late"
I rarely drop miss 3 off before 9.30 as I have school run first & a baby. 90% of the time we wander in as they are doing morning tea if she is hungry she eats if not they offer her some a bit later. If she ate before daycare I tell them & she eats at lunch.
Carers never bat an eyelid, never bothered them when I was at work full time and dropped at 6.30am in her pjs and collected at 6pm either.

I would ignore and start hunting a new centre or carer

#34 Gonzy

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:39 PM

How odd to even have a policy regarding "check in" time.  I mean regardless of whether you drop your children there at 8am or 11am you are still charged the exact same price. I think so long as they have a rough indication of the time you will be there then so what if it's first thing in the morning or mid-morning.

I would be trying to find another centre to be honest OP.

#35 TheWanderer

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:39 PM

They would get the big middle finger from me.  Calls about moving days will just not get returned.

Any complaints I got would be responded to with something along the lines of there are 270 reasons a day why I don't care about their concerns.

It is funny how the daycare centres we use rarely bring up stuff about what mischief our kids got up to that day.  "oh yea, he does that at home too... anyhoo see you tomorrow!"  :)

I pay my daycare bills... any junk like this they bring up to me falls into a them problem and I am happy to remind them of that if needed.

Edited by TheWanderer, 11 October 2017 - 01:43 PM.

#36 Hini

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:42 PM

Our centre did send an email to all parents asking that kids in the kinder room try and be there by 9:30am because that is when the more 'structured' part of the day starts. On Wednesdays they have bush kinder and leave at 9:30am so if kids arrive after that they have to go into another room for the day and don't get to participate in bush kinder.

I think it is probably preferable that kids get there by about 9 - 9:30 to immerse themselves in the 'routine' of the day but whether they actually do is up to the parents not the centre.

What time you drop them off or pick them up is your business. It could not possibly inconvenience them unless perhaps there is some ratio/rostering impact.

#37 Gonzy

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:42 PM

Any complaints I got would be responded to with something along the lines of there are 270 reasons a day why I don't care about their concerns.

Exactly right!

#38 Mose

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:48 PM

Unless your child is not settling when dropped off, I really don't see how that can be an issue for them.  An annoyance, yes, probably it is annoying to them, but so are lots of different habits of parents, and they just have to live with it, so I don't really get why they are jumping on this particular bandwagon.

I do think school is going to be a big adjustment, but the reality is with you returning to work, it will be all change at that time, I don't think you need to buy yourself trouble ahead of time if what you are doing now is working for the current phase of life you are in.

On the fruit though, did you sign up to bringing fruit for morning tea when you joined the centre?  If so, I think you ought to keep bringing it, regardless of whether your children are there to eat it or not, because it is a condition you  agreed to at enrolment.  If you don't, then all the other parents would need to do it more frequently than they agreed to, solely because you choose a later drop off time.  I can see why the centre would think that was unreasonable.

But I am not really sure, as I haven't heard of an LDC before that requires you to bring fruit.  I've heard of it with FDC, and with sessional kinder, but it seems odd for an LDC, so I guess it depends exactly how the requirement to bring fruit was put to you (i.e. did you agree to it at the same time you agreed to fees etc, or is it more of an optional thing).

To be honest, with your schedule it really sounds like you need a centre that is more supportive of your family.  Are you sure the other option wouldn't be better?  Just because it's a bigger centre doesn't necessarily mean it won't suit you and your kids.

#39 Mrs Claus

Posted 11 October 2017 - 01:56 PM

Maybe it effects their staff-child ratios and breaks etc

#40 spr_maiden

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:01 PM

^this is what I'm thinking.

#41 liveworkplay

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:07 PM

View Postc.sanders, on 11 October 2017 - 01:35 PM, said:

They behave like this with everyone. So if I refuse to change days they start calling up others etc. I really thought this is all normal stuff but now I'm questioning it. If I was to assume what is happening,  the centre changed the main person in charge about a year ago and I'm assuming she gets the lower level staff to pass on these types of messages etc. She had a stand off with me when she was refusing to accept them becaue she thought it was pointless one day when I had to bring them at 11 am.  I told her that a check in time wasn't provided so she can't refuse to take them. I had an exam that day. From then they made it policy they must be in by 11am.  The older 2 don't nap anymore.

That's ridiculous. If you are paying for the day, you get to drop them off whenever the hell you feel like it. I used centre based daycare for a cumulative 10 years and have never encountered such attitudes. Are you an assertive person? I'd be requesting a meeting with the director and airing my grievances. If you are feeling/being treated this way you can bet your last dollar other parents are as well.

Edited by liveworkplay, 11 October 2017 - 02:07 PM.

#42 wallofdodo

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:12 PM

View PostMrs Lannister, on 11 October 2017 - 01:56 PM, said:

Maybe it effects their staff-child ratios and breaks etc

But they are expecting the child, they would be up on the ratio. How do they handle children just not showing up, some people don't bother letting the center know they aren't bringing in the kids.

Also they have been told he can't get in before 10:30.

#43 Jingleflea

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:35 PM

Is there a family daycare in the area which might be a better fit for your hours?

#44 teaspoon

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:08 PM

I think all that's required is improved communication on your part.

You asked them not to ring about day swaps and somebody still calls you? Then is the time to say, please don't make these requests as I have commitments that aren't flexible.

OP, stop speculating and take the time to discuss your uni schedule, your expectations and care requirements with centre staff. Obviously people working there feel that daycare is a nice-to-have for you and not necessary.

There seems to be a lot of assumption and innuendo as to what they - and you - are thinking.

Be the bigger person - take a tray of fruit in for kids and staff.

Honestly, you're going to need to finesse your communication skills as your kids move through the school system.... there'll be a whole lot more navigating potentially ambiguous waters with other kids, parents, and teachers all part of the mix!

#45 Nobodyelse

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:14 PM

View Postwallofdodo, on 11 October 2017 - 02:12 PM, said:

But they are expecting the child, they would be up on the ratio. How do they handle children just not showing up, some people don't bother letting the center know they aren't bringing in the kids.

Also they have been told he can't get in before 10:30.

I'd say they are annoyed they're paying staff for kids who aren't there. Which isn't the OP's problem and is just cost of doing business.

The issues are understandable. The attitude is not. What they are saying to OP really should be something the b!tch about in private and not something they need to visit on their customers.

#46 wallofdodo

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:19 PM

But she is paying for the full day.

#47 Heather11

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:25 PM

View Postteaspoon, on 11 October 2017 - 03:08 PM, said:

I think all that's required is improved communication on your part.

You asked them not to ring about day swaps and somebody still calls you? Then is the time to say, please don't make these requests as I have commitments that aren't flexible.

OP, stop speculating and take the time to discuss your uni schedule, your expectations and care requirements with centre staff. Obviously people working there feel that daycare is a nice-to-have for you and not necessary.

There seems to be a lot of assumption and innuendo as to what they - and you - are thinking.

Be the bigger person - take a tray of fruit in for kids and staff.

Honestly, you're going to need to finesse your communication skills as your kids move through the school system.... there'll be a whole lot more navigating potentially ambiguous waters with other kids, parents, and teachers all part of the mix!

The OP has said she hasn't yet spoken to the owner/director so I agree with you that I think it is time for her to ask for a meeting.

Tell them to mark on the file that you don't want to be called about changing days as that is not possible at this time.

I would also ask them why 10.30 is such an issue and surely they have dealt with shift workers etc who would drop off later.

The fruit issue I personally wouldn't care about.  I would feed my children morning tea before and give the daycare a banana or apple.

Depending on how the meeting went would depend on if I looked for another centre or not.

#48 EsmeLennox

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:31 PM

I'd tell them to get stuffed on the arrival time. You're paying for a full day's care, you can drop off/pick up when you please within their opening hours. You can guarantee they wouldn't be asking you to leave them longer if you picked them up at 3pm and they missed 'afternoon activities'! I call BS on it being uber-disruptive to the rest of the group too. What are they doing...calculus?

I'd also tell them up front that you will not be changing your days.

I'd send a piece fruit and not make a fuss about that.

Edited by EsmeLennox, 11 October 2017 - 03:37 PM.

#49 sarahec

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:34 PM

I would ignore it. I also wouldn't provide fruit if your kids are missing the fruit time.

I work evenings and I'm the same, my kids get to daycare late. We wake up late and we are slow movers in the morning.

#50 Riotproof

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:37 PM

I wonder if it's mostly about the oldest ds missing the "preschool" program. Either way, they're doing a crappy job handling it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.