Thermomix consultant

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 mummyoh

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:25 PM

I really want to get a thermomix but hubby says no they're too expensive. I figured if I worked off the cost of the thermomix he might be more inclined.
Problem is, I'm not super good at selling thing to people. Has anyone done thermomix? We live in a regional area, will I still be able to work there? What if you don't have a large base of friends? Are there any consequences for not selling a certain number of machines in a certain time frame? Do they 'confiscate' your machine? What is the pay rate like?
I have so many questions but the answers are very hard to find on the thermomix websites and forums- only positive stories and I'm reluctant to believe them all.
Looking good forward to hearing your thoughts...

#2 Chief Pancake Make

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:37 PM

I think you have to sell at least 4 to work off the cost of your machine.  You do need firends or groups of firends who are willing to host a party.  You cant advertise , you have to sell through demonstrations.

I dont have one, couldnt justify $2k for a glorified blender.  Went to a friends demo and giggled for days that the biggest selling point seemed to be that you can make your own caster sugar - if I ever buy $2k worth of sugar I am in big trouble.

#3 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:02 PM

If someone made the selling point about a tmx the castor sugar?  Wow, crap demonstrator.  

The thermomix demonstrator market is rough.  There are way too many demonstrators for what is a crowded market.  You would need a network, would need to be a good salesperson and able to sell.  I wouldn't touch it.

I have a tmx.  I would not buy one now, I'd look at the cheaper versions.  I bought mine before all the thermocookers on the market.

#4 IamtheMumma

Posted 18 October 2017 - 10:12 PM

I'd try selling him on a Bellini instead. It is a lot less money and does the same thing. I own a tmx. If it died, I'd get a Bellini.

#5 mummyoh

Posted 19 October 2017 - 05:13 AM

Ah thanks guys! We live in country Victoria so advertising would be the only way I could do this and I didn't realise that you couldn't do so. Most friends who were interested already have a TMX and the rest think the same as above- not worth the cost.
So... if you don't sell what happens? Revert to a payment plan? Is it stressful? How long have you got to try and sell?

#6 VVV

Posted 19 October 2017 - 05:22 AM

OT but how did they demonstrate making caster sugar? Did they just blend regular sugar into smaller granules?

#7 just roses

Posted 19 October 2017 - 05:33 AM

I've been to three demonstrations.

The first - not impressed. Figured I can do a risotto just as easily in the oven.

The second - again, not impressed. Like PP, it was being pitched for the benefits of making your own castor sugar. And sorbet. Given we don't eat a heap of sorbet, I couldn't see the point.

But I went to one last weekend and I finally see the appeal. Or rather, I can see exactly how I would use it. The cook key makes a big difference. And it's definitely something my kids could use.

So I'm getting one on a payment plan. Like your DH, mine was resistant. But then I reminded him that, despite both of us working full-time, I'm still the one doing the bulk of the cooking. I don't particularly enjoy cooking and I want to make it as easy/quick/healthy as possible. Smart man that he is, he backed down and left it in my court.

I am very confident that I can save the $20 a week by using it. And I plan to drop my tax return into the account too, to pay it off faster.

#8 just roses

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:34 AM

Just to add, I think you may now have to sell 6 units to make back the cost of your TMX. Either way, though, I personally wouldn't do it. I hate sales stuff like that.

If you've worked out exactly how you plan to use the machine and how it will save you money (no point getting one unless it is going to get good use!) then get it on the payment plan and just make sure it does cut down your grocery bill.

#9 justaquickie

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:43 AM

View PostChief Pancake Make, on 18 October 2017 - 09:37 PM, said:

I think you have to sell at least 4 to work off the cost of your machine.  You do need firends or groups of firends who are willing to host a party.  You cant advertise , you have to sell through demonstrations.

I dont have one, couldnt justify $2k for a glorified blender.  Went to a friends demo and giggled for days that the biggest selling point seemed to be that you can make your own caster sugar - if I ever buy $2k worth of sugar I am in big trouble.
I make caster sugar in the blender and then small amounts of icing sugar with the mortar & pestle.

I could never justify the money they cost.

#10 ~J_F~

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:05 AM

I got both my tm31 and tm5 from being a consultant in a regional area.

I don't do it anymore but I think you need to be laid back and not pushy because it's a $2k machine and I can't tell people to part with that kind of money. It worked for me anyway.

If you don't sell enough machines, you just pay the difference.

It will help if you know a few people that might be interested in a Thermomix. Your manager will also send you any leads from the area you are in, that's how I got most of my business.

Also I am pretty sure they have 24 months interest free at the moment, works out to be $20 a week.

ETA the icing sugar made in the thermomix, sucks for making icing, way to grainy. It certainly wasn't what sold me but it was part of the demo but a small part.

Edited by ~J_F~, 19 October 2017 - 07:07 AM.

#11 born.a.girl

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:34 AM

If you hate selling, don't do it.  Life's too short to spend more time doing something you hate, just to save time on something else, that you may not hate as much.

In decision making in partnership, you start of with 50% of the decision each, then adjust based on a whole range or factors.

e.g. my husband gets very little say in financial decision (because he's allergic to finances, and if you don't understand something you can't make an informed decision) and I get very little say in electronic items (because that's where his expertise lies).

Like pps above, if he's not doing his fair share of the unpaid work, he doesn't get to make the decision.

#12 Acidulous Osprey

Posted 28 October 2017 - 09:41 PM

View PostVVV, on 19 October 2017 - 05:22 AM, said:

OT but how did they demonstrate making caster sugar? Did they just blend regular sugar into smaller granules?

Yes.  It's very exciting ;)

#13 AnotherFeral

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:07 PM

Yeah, nah. I have one and like it, but no way would I become a consultant just to get one. If there's an interest free deal, go for that. Remember the 'special' changes every month so if you can be patient you will get a better deal. E.g. 24 months interest free is a better deal than getting a few extra accessories.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.