(VIC) 4 year old kinder - 2nd year - cost

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 babystepz

Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:27 PM

My DS will be attending 4yo kinder next year (funded) here in Victoria.  I was just wondering whether anyone has sent their child to a second year without the funding and what the approximate cost is?

Just curious as I know that if is assessed to not be ready to go to school in 2019, a second year of funding is available.

DS is an April baby so just would like to keep my options open should funding not be available etc.

A lot can happen developmental wise in the next 12 months.

Look forward to hearing from you.

#2 3bubbys

Posted 20 October 2017 - 03:21 PM

By memory about $2000 a term

#3 Ollie83

Posted 20 October 2017 - 03:37 PM

If it's a government funded kinder, approach the kinder teacher asap and get them to fill in an application for 2nd Year funding then it will only be the committee fees you pay. Depending where you are they will differ mine are $190 a term.

#4 FEdeRAL

Posted 20 October 2017 - 04:08 PM

I assumed we are talking about sessional kinder here?

Depending on where you are in Victoria, getting a place for  2nd year of 4yo kinder without an approved funding can be difficult, even if you are willing to pay the full fee. Your child would be on the lowest priority when assessed against the selection criteria.

So I echo PP in saying getting the process started with the teacher is a good idea. It is commonly done.

As for the costs - the Victorian government provides 10 hours subsidy and the Fed Gov 5 hours so that makes it a total of 15 hours which are subsidised (note: NOT free). Which is why if the total hours offered per week is 15 hours, there will still be out-of -pocket costs.

The 2017 Victorian kindergarten funding rate is $3505 per child per year for the full 15 hours. So if the total sessional hours are 15 hours per week or more, a non-funded child will be paying whatever the funded child is paying per year plus $3505. If the child was previously eligible for HCC holder rate, he/she will not be eligible for the reduced rate as a non-funded child.

Obviously there are many kindergartens which do not offer the full 15 hours per week sessions so it may not be $3505 per year.

#5 JKTMum

Posted 23 October 2017 - 02:14 PM

It's been awhile since my kids were in kinder (youngest 2 now in secondary) but you used to be able to start them in 4yo kinder and then if you and the teacher felt they weren't going to be ready (significantly behind the other children maturity wise) by the end of either term 1 or term 2 (correct me here if someone knows which), you could withdraw them and have them guaranteed a funded year the following year. Only downside is them not having anything to do for the remainder of the year unless you could get them back into a 3yo kinder or a childcare with 3yo kinder facilities.

Unless they had a significant delay in at least 2 areas (social, gross motor etc) then they weren't eligible for a 2nd funded year, so just maturity issues for a young starter were unlikely to receive funding.

My DD1 was a March baby. We could see she had maturity issues (impulsive, attention issues etc), so put her first in 3 year old kinder, watched her development and then came to the conclusion that 4 year old would have been too demanding. Our area had a high percentage of children start older rather than younger. Fortunately the 3 year old kinder also ran dedicated groups for older kids (deferred 4s) so she went to that the following year. The groups were offered more challenges so she didn't feel like she was just repeating the same stuff. The year after she went to proper 4yo kinder and then started Prep a bit over a month before she turned 6.

She has done ok eversince, despite being diagnosed with Aspergers at almost 10. She's now in year 11 and I still believe it was the best decision we ever made for her, she's now thriving. Some kids do fine starting at a young age, but if there are doubts, it's best to leave them that extra year to develop.

#6 OliviaVivian

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:04 PM

We did it, and it was $13800.
Never looked back, and our son benefitted hugely from it (a late Feb Bub)

#7 suzyr

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:19 PM

April birthday...from experience I wouldn't be sending your child to school until they are just 6 not 4. My daughter's birthday is 1st Jan. We sent her to school when she was just 6 and she hasn't looked back. She has always been a tall girl so people always thinks shs is older than she is. She is now 14 and in Year 8 in Victoria and I can truly say it was the best decision we have ever made. What is the hurry? She is thriving both socially and academically...i really believe that she is coping with things that life brings because she is that bit older and mature. Just saying!!

#8 suzyr

Posted 24 April 2018 - 10:24 PM

View Postsuzyr, on 24 April 2018 - 10:19 PM, said:

April birthday...from experience I wouldn't be sending your child to school until they are just 6 not 4. My daughter's birthday is 1st Jan. We sent her to school when she was just 6 and she hasn't looked back. She has always been a tall girl so people always thinks shs is older than she is. She is now 14 and in Year 8 in Victoria and I can truly say it was the best decision we have ever made. What is the hurry? She is thriving both socially and academically...i really believe that she is coping with things that life brings because she is that bit older and mature. Just saying!!
also we made the decision to start school later before kinder so she did 3 year old kinder when she was 4 and four year old kinder when she was 5. Before starting kinder we just did things like playgroup, ed gym etc. There were heaps of things to do before commencing kinder.

#9 babystepz

Posted 06 August 2018 - 01:49 PM

We decided to get him second year funding for kindergarten. YAY

Assessments were done end of last term and the teacher agreed not socially ready. I know its another 6 months til the end of the year but I am happy to funding and a place in the same kinder has been re-enrolled.

Going also through a separation so second year kinder I think will be good for him since he is a very emotional little boy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.