2 spinals or Epidural, General Anaesthetic?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Mary S

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:25 PM

My last to caesars, I needed 2 spinals . I just spoke with the anaesthetist for this Caesar, as the last one was traumatic. She said it was very unusual for someone to have 2 spinals and it is not something she would do. She is going to look into my notes from the past 2 to see why they did that.

She said there were different things they could do, inc epidural and general anaesthetic... With a GA, I understand my hubby can't be there for the birth. I don't really know anything about epidurals apart from I thought they 'stayed' in so they could top up the meds if need be.

It took me many years to get over my fear of childbirth enough to have our kids, Im just worried now due to the last two and being 'unusual' to need more than 1 spinal, something worse will happen this time. is my back weird shape, do I not take to sedation, no idea...

has anyone else experienced the need for 2 spinals? or was epidural better?

#2 HolierThanCow

Posted 22 October 2017 - 10:38 PM

Sorry, I don't know. Bumping it up in case someone else does. I have never heard of someone having two spinals. As I understand it, with a GA you husband/ partner isn't present but sits just outside the theatre and is handed the baby there as soon as it has been briefly checked over.

#3 itsallnew

Posted 23 October 2017 - 07:40 AM

Not sure about the epidural/spinal question but I had a GA with my first and my husband could not be in theatre, but Baby was taken straight to him in special care nursery after delivery (within 10 minutes) so they could have a cuddle until I was out of recovery (note - I had serious complications from the birth, not the anaesthetic, so this took hours).

#4 Apageintime

Posted 23 October 2017 - 09:17 AM

I had a failed epi, 4 failed spinals (had no idea it was uncommon to have more than 2) and a general - for one birth.

I'd talk to the medical team some more and get some answers to your questions.

#5 Soontobegran

Posted 23 October 2017 - 09:32 AM

You had two attempts at a spinal or you had to be given another spinal half way through?

I have to say that I disagree with whoever told you that it is strange as it this is not unusual. Sometimes it is due to the fact that mum can't get her body into a good position, sometimes it is because of a particular person's anatomy, sometimes on larger women it is hard to find the spot and sometimes it is due to the anaesthetist but I have to say this is not common.

I would not choose a GA based on this experience even though I do understand how horrible it is. Next time you could strike it lucky first time.

Perhaps it might be a good idea to have a little relaxer before you have it done?

Good luck.

Edited by Soontobegran, 23 October 2017 - 09:33 AM.

#6 Soontobegran

Posted 28 October 2017 - 04:30 PM

View PostElle2k17, on 23 October 2017 - 01:46 PM, said:

Can you arrange an epidural and then a GA as a backup option? I’m keen to follow this.

A GA is always a back up for any C/S. At any given time the anaesthetist will have everything he/she needs to go that route.

I would probably request a different anaesthetist if at all possible after an experience where there has been a failed epidural or spinal....not because they necessarily did anything wrong but it goes without saying that mum's confidence will be impacted and the extra stress and anxiety will work against the procedure.

I have had failed epidurals, not my obstetric one though and I actually refused to allow this person to come anywhere near me again. Not because he was a bad anaesthetist, it was probably my fault for not being able to get into a good position but because he was an a*se about it.

#7 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 28 October 2017 - 04:37 PM

I had a very experienced anaesthetist fail on his first attempt at giving me an epidural. He was a little embarrassed. Later DD was in distress, he came to check on me as he was leaving, and ended up staying for my emergency c-section. He was brilliant and I’d have him again for this baby if I can.

#8 Mary S

Posted 31 October 2017 - 07:23 PM

hi ladies, thanks heaps for the replies. I have a different anaesthetist  this time and I am going to call her to see what plan she has come up with and discuss this again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.