Christmas gifts for teachers

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1 Bearynice

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:13 PM

I am looking for ideas for Christmas presents for the primary teachers. We have three teachers and an aide to purchase for.

Trying to avoid a box of chocolates! Two of them have kids and are mid 30s. Two are married no kids and late 20s.

Not too fussed on budget but they have all gone above and beyond this year so would like to give a gift to reflect that!

I'd love to hear from anyone who has some previously successful gifts too!

#2 Expelliarmus

Posted 28 October 2017 - 08:18 PM

Officeworks giftcards :)

#3 Crazyone26989

Posted 28 October 2017 - 08:19 PM

Officeworks vouchers, movie vouchers, custom stamps, stickers or stationery with the teachers' name. I'd also totally appreciate alcohol but I guess that depends on each teacher.

With that said, I don't actually expect any present and a simple card is more than enough!

#4 1975ladybug

Posted 28 October 2017 - 08:26 PM

I'm doing keep it cups this year,

#5 Bereckii

Posted 28 October 2017 - 08:38 PM

Any tips on where to get custom stamps?

Edited by Bereckii, 28 October 2017 - 08:38 PM.

#6 Crazyone26989

Posted 28 October 2017 - 08:47 PM

View PostBereckii, on 28 October 2017 - 08:38 PM, said:

Frame this, custom stamp co, miss honey teachers and customised classroom (through etsy) are all places I've used before. A circular stamp is between $15 and $20 which is reasonable because the ink can be refilled!

#7 Leslie Knope

Posted 28 October 2017 - 08:55 PM

Last year I got gift packs from the Body Shop (about $30 each). They were very appreciated!

#8 Jingleflea

Posted 28 October 2017 - 08:58 PM

Last year I got DD's FYOS teacher a bag of good coffee beans (because i know she has a coffee machine and drinks it on the way to work) and a personalised Christmas ornament with DD's name and year or something on it to remember her by.

This year it'll be an Officeworks voucher and chocolates wrapped in her favourite colour(or home made if I can find lots of sprinkles and things in that colour. She LOVES chocolate.

#9 Holly298

Posted 28 October 2017 - 09:03 PM

We all put in as a class $20 per child and get our teacher a Tiffany silver necklace and charm with her initial on it ($300) we've done it 2 years in a row now and they love it - the other $100 gets split into Westfield gift cards for the other teachers (music, sport, library, laungage and art )

#10 Heather11

Posted 28 October 2017 - 09:07 PM

View PostBereckii, on 28 October 2017 - 08:38 PM, said:

Not stamps but stickers.  This is the company that I have used.  They have a really fast turn around too.

http://www.mystickers4u.com/

I have previously gifted movie, officeworks and QBD vouchers.

I also gave some good quality aluminium drink bottles one year.

#11 Bereckii

Posted 28 October 2017 - 09:59 PM

View Postcrazyone2989, on 28 October 2017 - 08:47 PM, said:

Frame this, custom stamp co, miss honey teachers and customised classroom (through etsy) are all places I've used before. A circular stamp is between $15 and $20 which is reasonable because the ink can be refilled!

Thank you so much! These look great!

#12 just roses

Posted 28 October 2017 - 11:02 PM

I'm getting $20 officeworks vouchers (3 teachers) and a Christms decoration each. I buy the decorations each year when they're 75% off after Christmas.

#13 Crazyone26989

Posted 29 October 2017 - 05:57 AM

View PostHolly298, on 28 October 2017 - 09:03 PM, said:

We all put in as a class $20 per child and get our teacher a Tiffany silver necklace and charm with her initial on it ($300) we've done it 2 years in a row now and they love it - the other $100 gets split into Westfield gift cards for the other teachers (music, sport, library, laungage and art )

Just be careful when doing this. In NSW we have to declare any gifts over $50. Some principals say it's all good (if the gift is from multiple students because each didn't spend more than $50) but others won't allow the teacher to accept the gift. Jewellery is specifically listed as something we should not accept due to its value.

Edited by crazyone2989, 29 October 2017 - 06:04 AM.

#14 José

Posted 29 October 2017 - 06:02 AM

Alcohol!

I think coffee cups are also a good idea, they always seems to disappear from the staffroom.

I think hardtofind.com.au have a dedicated teacher section.

#15 Littlecloud

Posted 29 October 2017 - 06:44 AM

View Postcrazyone2989, on 29 October 2017 - 05:57 AM, said:

Just be careful when doing this. In NSW we have to declare any gifts over $50. Some principals say it's all good (if the gift is from multiple students because each didn't spend more than $50) but others won't allow the teacher to accept the gift. Jewellery is specifically listed as something we should not accept due to its value.

Yep, this! Our principal would not let that happen. Wouldn't be allowed to accept it.

Personally, when I taught primary kids I loved sentimental presents. My favourites were home made treats (one 10 year old boy made and decorated short bread biscuits all by himself! His sister teased him profusely for it, another girl made me reindeer hot chocolate mix herself, another little boy decorated a bauble with music notes since i'm a music teacher). I love hand made cards or notes from the kids.. i'm a big softie.

I also really loved Christmas decorations, like baubles or even snow globes. They are probably my absolute favourite gift, because every year when I decorate the tree I think about the kids who gifted them to me. :)

I also love alcohol :D and chocolate, but I hate ferrero rocher and one year I got about 10 packs of them.. I hate them!! lol.

Movie vouchers would also be great!

Edited by Littlecloud, 29 October 2017 - 06:45 AM.

#16 SplashingRainbows

Posted 29 October 2017 - 06:56 AM

I usually do movie vouchers.

This year I’ve done a drink bottle with a nice message and the teachers name on it. I hope it’s practical and a bit sentimental. She seems like the sort of teacher who loves the sentimental stuff.

#17 BornToLove

Posted 29 October 2017 - 07:01 AM

We give gift cards to book shops, office works or similar. I know teachers at our school use their own money supplementing supplies and materials so this is a way to thank you for doing that.

Another thing with the gift cards, we have DD make a card/write a letter and include a memory she has from that year with the teacher. It’s a way to make something impersonal a bit more personal.

#18 casime

Posted 29 October 2017 - 07:40 AM

Whiteboard Markers.

#19 Luci

Posted 29 October 2017 - 07:45 AM

View PostBornToLove, on 29 October 2017 - 07:01 AM, said:

We give gift cards to book shops, office works or similar. I know teachers at our school use their own money supplementing supplies and materials so this is a way to thank you for doing that.

Another thing with the gift cards, we have DD make a card/write a letter and include a memory she has from that year with the teacher. It’s a way to make something impersonal a bit more personal.

We do this as well - give a gift card in a handmade card and I get the kids to write a nice message in it.

There used to be an ABC Shop nearby and I would often buy giftcards from there, it has now closed down so I might do Officeworks this year.

#20 Holly298

Posted 29 October 2017 - 08:04 AM

View Postcrazyone2989, on 29 October 2017 - 05:57 AM, said:

You mean declare it to the school? Why would it matter? Our principal didn’t say anything last year and we are in Sydney- where would they have that as a policy?

#21 Luci

Posted 29 October 2017 - 08:09 AM

View PostHolly298, on 29 October 2017 - 08:04 AM, said:

You mean declare it to the school? Why would it matter? Our principal didn’t say anything last year and we are in Sydney- where would they have that as a policy?

Individual schools might have their own policies perhaps, or maybe public school have certain rules that don't apply to private schools.  My 3 all attend private schools and it seems ok to give the teachers expensive stuff, including jewellery - ie where the whole class chips in and gets one big joint present.

#22 Crazyone26989

Posted 29 October 2017 - 08:33 AM

View PostHolly298, on 29 October 2017 - 08:04 AM, said:

Yes, to the school principal. Any gifts over $50 in value can not be accepted personally by a teacher and must go to the school. Some principals interpret the policy as $50 per child so a combined gift is ok, some say any gift over $50 is not ok. If the principal okays it then I assume they would have to explain to the Department of Education if an issue arises.

I am in Sydney but it is the policy for all of NSW. It is to stop accusations of bribery for good grades, special favour ect. This is a written Department of Education policy for all NSW Public schools. Can't comment on private!

#23 Coffeegirl

Posted 29 October 2017 - 08:44 AM

This is in NSW, but any gifts over $50 “must not become personal property and must be declared to the principal

http://www.dec.nsw.g..._PypArheePM.pdf

#24 TequilaMockingbird

Posted 29 October 2017 - 08:56 AM

Teachers and aides get a bottle of wine with a sticker from Etsy that has a photo of the child and says "our child is probably the reason you drink, so have one on us. Merry Christmas, from [Surname]."

Teachers also get a book the child has loved that year (ideally, one they don't have), with a note of appreciation inside the cover.

#25 Overtherainbow

Posted 29 October 2017 - 08:58 AM

If you're going to give a gift, a lovely message in a card will make the most difference.

Actual gift suggestions: officeworks gift card, national geographic gift card, dymocks gift card, a book on a subject the students study, a nice plant that the teacher could use for class or home, chocolate(I store mine to use as thank you gifts the next year), voucher for beauty treatment, jewellery, Oxfam gift, stamps, stickers, candles (fairly popular), Thankyou hand sanitiser. I wouldn't purchase body lotion packs as you usually get more than you need and they're more challenging to hand on (women's refuge usually gets mine).

Combined gifts mean the teacher doesn't know how much each family's contributed.  I have several jewellery items from different year groups that I think of when I wear them.  I usually try to match them in with my outfits and formal school events.

Honestly, it is the cards that I love.  I have a whole box of them and pull them out when I'm having a challenging day.  The ones written by both student and parent mean the most.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.