Christmas gifts for teachers

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#26 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 29 October 2017 - 09:01 AM

We are getting personalised key rings this year :)

View PostHolly298, on 29 October 2017 - 08:04 AM, said:

You mean declare it to the school? Why would it matter? Our principal didn’t say anything last year and we are in Sydney- where would they have that as a policy?

To protect teachers from being put in awkward positions.

So while the gift may have been accepted appreciatively, it is most likely it was still declared to the school and who knows what happened after that.

Anyway I think the PP was just bringing up so you are aware that it may have happened.

#27 Riotproof

Posted 29 October 2017 - 09:19 AM

Last year I gave ds's teacher a dymocks voucher. This year after a recent thread, I'm thinking officeworks. Though is it better to get one they can use in a few different stores?

#28 onetrick

Posted 29 October 2017 - 09:49 AM

I think like all presents, it depends on the teacher? I teach high school so don’t get many presents each year (not complaining!!), but those that are the ones I remember are the ones that students have made (gingerbread house, homemade cookies) or the ones that they have gotten as they know something about me- a book, chocolate, anything frog related (yes, I’m strange, frogs were my weird obsession...), or related to one of my many hobbies/ interests (spotlight voucher, anything supernatural, Harry Potter, Disney... I have a few pops on my desk so it’s not hard to see what I like).
One of my year 12s this year asked me my favourite alcohol, and I’ve just been avoiding the question, or telling him he doesn’t need to get me a present (I don’t really feel right to get alcohol from a student, and I’m pregnant so can’t drink it for a while!).
As PP said- I keep all of the letters/ cards with special messages on them and read them when I’m having an especially bad day. Teaching year 12 especially, if we get a card it’s usually because a student has come back after their exams are all finished just to see their teachers with presents, so that’s pretty special in itself!

So many great ideas in this thread :) love it!!

#29 Heather11

Posted 29 October 2017 - 09:56 AM

View PostRiotproof, on 29 October 2017 - 09:19 AM, said:

Last year I gave ds's teacher a dymocks voucher. This year after a recent thread, I'm thinking officeworks. Though is it better to get one they can use in a few different stores?

Coles Myer group giftcards include Officeworks and a few bottle shops. :xmas_tongue:

#30 Jayellebee

Posted 29 October 2017 - 10:46 AM

My son is in fyos, so its ny first time doing teacher gifts but i have ordered them tupperware water bottles.

#31 Bearynice

Posted 29 October 2017 - 11:00 AM

Some great ideas in here. Keep them coming ( I think this thread is helping lots of eb members!)

Last year we did mixed t2 packs and nice fudge. Did coffee cards for coffee drinkers and fudge.

#32 Holly298

Posted 29 October 2017 - 11:28 AM

View PostCoffeegirl, on 29 October 2017 - 08:44 AM, said:

This is in NSW, but any gifts over $50 “must not become personal property and must be declared to the principal

http://www.dec.nsw.g..._PypArheePM.pdf
I think that’s crazy! Surely the poor teachers deserve a decent end of year present! I get it’s different during the year or from an individual family but a whole class giving $15 each to give their teacher a necklace on the last day of school they “technically “ would have to say no!
we are at a private school and hopefully if they had a problem last year we would have known - our kindy teacher often wears the boys necklace to school!

#33 EsmeLennox

Posted 29 October 2017 - 11:59 AM

This is in NSW, but any gifts over $50 “must not become personal property and must be declared to the principal

It's the same in WA, except it's over $100.

I'd personally feel very uncomfortable accepting a $300 gift, even if it was a combined gift from the class.

I get paid for what I do. I would actually prefer a student to write me a note in a card over any gift.

Edited by EsmeLennox, 29 October 2017 - 03:09 PM.

#34 *Melstar*

Posted 29 October 2017 - 12:35 PM

I've just done my first Hard to Find order. Can't wait for it to arrive! There are these socks that you can personalise, and a mug that says, Don't Make Me Use My Teacher Voice. Hoping if I giggled looking at them, then the teachers will too! I've previously ordered personalised tote bags from ezibuy. Teachers always seem to carry so much stuff!

#35 Future-self

Posted 29 October 2017 - 12:41 PM

I was planning on getting these ceramic christmas decorations for DS's kindy teacher and his Aide

https://www.etsy.com...p_home_active_6

Question for teachers - would you like the personalisation? We were going to have "Dear teacher name, thank you for all that you've taught me. Love DS".

Would you hang it?

#36 gabbigirl

Posted 29 October 2017 - 12:48 PM

I am erring out to teachers Egyptian towels, they can Be used as a sarong,  picnic rug or beach  towel

#37 WaitForMe

Posted 29 October 2017 - 02:08 PM

View PostEsmeLennox, on 29 October 2017 - 11:59 AM, said:

It's the same in WA.

I'd personally feel very uncomfortable accepting a $300 gift, even if it was a combined gift from the class.

I get paid for what I do. I would actually prefer a student to write me a note in a card over any gift.

Any government employee, state or federal, I'd imagine will have that rule or some version of it - sometimes its just that it has to be declared or registered. Many large corporates have this rule too.

#38 harmonic_wizz_fizz

Posted 29 October 2017 - 03:00 PM

Hope its ok to ask a related question in this thread, for those who are teachers, do you like getting (nice) home made things?
Like chocolates, biscuits, soap etc?

would you eat home made chocolates from a parent?

#39 EsmeLennox

Posted 29 October 2017 - 03:05 PM

View PostWaitForMe, on 29 October 2017 - 02:08 PM, said:

Any government employee, state or federal, I'd imagine will have that rule or some version of it - sometimes its just that it has to be declared or registered. Many large corporates have this rule too.

Of course. There is also a fringe benefits tax implication as well.

#40 Twinkie12

Posted 29 October 2017 - 03:09 PM

My mother is a teacher and I have watched on for years as she has brought home mountains of well intentioned crap.  Most of it goes to the Salvos, to be honest.

Things teachers don’t like (no matter how polite to your face they are):

Mugs of any description
Cheap chocolate
Any homemade food, especially hand rolled food
Soap
Personalised mugs, stamps, notepads, etc
Homemade craft

Things that are appreciated:

Coles Myer vouchers
Spa treatments
Vouchers for cafes and nurseries

Sounds harsh, but it’s such a waste to buy useless junk!

#41 EsmeLennox

Posted 29 October 2017 - 03:12 PM

Strictly speaking, in WA gift vouchers are out...they are considered to be the same as giving cash.

#42 onetrick

Posted 29 October 2017 - 03:13 PM

View Postharmonic_wizz_fizz, on 29 October 2017 - 03:00 PM, said:

Hope its ok to ask a related question in this thread, for those who are teachers, do you like getting (nice) home made things?
Like chocolates, biscuits, soap etc?

would you eat home made chocolates from a parent?
If I knew and trusted the parent, yes. If not, no.
I have been given (and eaten!) food from parents and kids before, but they were the same parents who always bake for the school fundraisers and things and I know that they know about food safety.
Soap, I’m fussy with as I have allergies, but I can usually pay it forward and find someone else who appreciates it (and I do appreciate the thought!!).

But again, I teach high school so only get a handful of presents each year, not the boxes that Mum used to get as a primary teacher!

#43 Tinky Winky Woo

Posted 30 October 2017 - 10:24 AM

Things I have bought in the past include:-

* best teacher ornaments
* a tea drink bottle that you put loose leaf tea in the bottom and can top up as needed during the day
* dinner voucher
* before I knew the no cup thing I did up a hamper to use at the end of the last day of school with coffee, tea, snacks, hot chocolate, marshmallows and fancy sugar cubes
* a willow figurine
* swarvoski pens
* music box

This year we have 4 people to buy for:-
* pizza cutter in a theme they liked
* a wooden puzzle thing
* a teacher ornament and dream catcher thing
* a Christmas snowman

The above items are things very specific to the likes of the teacher though.

Next year I think i might approach parents and see if they want to put in for a gift as it is our last year at the school.  But I will run it past our principal first in case of having set limits and how to get around them.

Oh and at our school alcohol is not allowed to be given to teachers within the school grounds.

#44 theboys2

Posted 30 October 2017 - 10:26 AM

oh ok - i should have looked up past history before posting my own post!

lol reading for help too!

#45 Rowenas candy cane

Posted 30 October 2017 - 11:05 AM

From the list of Acceptable items:
a parent gives $1000 dollars to the Principal, specifically requesting that the money be donated to the school library for the purchase of audiobooks because her son has poor vision.

A group donation to the school library or facilities would actually be really nice!

After reading that, I think I'll do a personalised card for the staff and a donation to the centre (pre-k).

ETA: Our donation will be a *lot* less than $1000!

Edited by Rowenas Necklace, 30 October 2017 - 12:48 PM.

#46 harmonic_wizz_fizz

Posted 01 November 2017 - 01:55 PM

View PostTinky Winky Woo, on 30 October 2017 - 10:24 AM, said:

Oh and at our school alcohol is not allowed to be given to teachers within the school grounds.

Ours either. The sentence within school grounds conjures up a funny mental image of a parent waiting outside the gate loaded up with wine bottles. :p

#47 EPZ

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:26 AM

We give cards from kids and I give them a bottle of Chandon!

Teachers are amazing people and they can celebrate their year of hard work .

I've never had a bottle knocked back or a policy issue !

#48 chickendrumstick

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:35 AM

Policy varies school to school. If the school has never had issues or repercussions from gifts being given then it is likely all ok. I got a lot of gifts last year as there is a strong tradition of giving teachers gifts in the school community- it was very unexpected!! I actually double checked it was ok with the principal because I'd never taught a class with such generous families before. Everything from book vouchers to candles, movie tickets to fancy moisturiser, coffee beans to wine, I was surprised and appreciative!!!

#49 JBH

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:39 AM

Last year for DS1’s teacher we collected cash and the teacher declared it and used it for classroom supplies (essentially saving him from putting his hand in his own pocket).

For DS2’s kindy teacher we had a poster made for the classroom featuring a picture and a few words from each student about “my favourite thing about kindergarten”.  (Also bought her an expensive present from the class and nary a word was said about declaration...)

#50 JBH

Posted 07 November 2017 - 07:40 AM

Also, a friend of mine who is a kindy teacher said one of her favourite presents ever was a great big wholesale box of glue sticks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.