Christmas gifts for teachers

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#51 kimasa

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:41 AM

I have to admit, two Saturdays ago I looked through the window at ballet to see that it was my kid being the PITA rolling around on the floor and spinning on her butt L, I went over to the reception desk
"What does (teacher) drink?"
"Ahh, she's really into craft cider"
"Done"

Now, the 15yr old ballet assistant I feel needs something too. Maybe some good quality chocolate.

#52 Sandra

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:48 AM

View Postkimasa, on 07 November 2017 - 09:41 AM, said:

I have to admit, two Saturdays ago I looked through the window at ballet to see that it was my kid being the PITA rolling around on the floor and spinning on her butt L, I went over to the reception desk
"What does (teacher) drink?"
"Ahh, she's really into craft cider"
"Done"

Now, the 15yr old ballet assistant I feel needs something too. Maybe some good quality chocolate.

My daughter was has been an assistant and a teacher, for this age, maybe a voucher for a manicure, or a dance shop voucher, or another shop they can buy dance style attire from.

My daughters got so much chocolate they could never use it all but the vouchers they loved and you dont have to spend much but they will appreciate it.

#53 just roses

Posted 07 November 2017 - 09:09 PM

This year I’m giving Officeworks vouchers and a really lovely Christmas decoration. I buy expensive decorations in the post-Christmas sales for 75% off each year and bring them out for teacher gifts. In the past, those eco bags have been well-received. And I always write a lot in a card to show my appreciation. My kids have been so lucky with great teachers.

#54 blueskies12

Posted 08 November 2017 - 05:46 AM

I’m a teacher and I actually love homemade gifts. Actually any gifts and handwritten cards! Some teachers may not like homemade cooking/ homemade crafts and prefer bought stuff. However, I think as a teacher you are so lucky to get anything and to feel appreciated. I would much prefer to receive a jar of biscuits, and the family spend their hard earned money on their own children/families at Christmas. However, I am anti- consumerism and with my own extended family I would love to do pre- loved or homemade for all adult gifts

#55 GlitteryElfFarts

Posted 08 November 2017 - 08:30 AM

DD 13 wants to make little meringues for her food tech teacher. Apparently the teacher told her we were talking about how DD can make them. The teacher said that none of the Year 10 kids can get the eggs done properly so their meringues never turn out.
DD makes sure her eggs are at room temp and has to use vanilla bean paste.
She is also buying the vice principal a Star Wars Pop Vinyl toy and ear plugs for putting up with her yabbering.

DD18 is getting the 2 or 3 teachers that have meant a lot to her over the years, Willow Figurines.

#56 mumlifeau

Posted 01 December 2019 - 03:11 PM

I am planning on grabbing stainless steel clothes pegs for our kindergarten teachers, I think it's a nice practical and eco friendly gift since plastic pegs always break

#57 Tinky Winky Woo

Posted 01 December 2019 - 07:57 PM

I have a question to any teacher on the forum.  Would a star named after you from a child be something you might like.  It doesn't take up room, doesn't cause any issues with food allergies, and can always be seen (unless the star burns out).

I should clarify they will be getting something to keep as well, that has absolutely nothing to do with the star.

Edited by Tinky Winky Woo, 01 December 2019 - 08:54 PM.

#58 BBC

Posted 01 December 2019 - 08:49 PM

I was disappointed when I got a goat for a poor family as a teacher gift.  Very worthy, but I wanted something for me.  So I would prefer not to get a named star, but others may have a different opinion.

#59 Crazyone26989

Posted 01 December 2019 - 10:38 PM

View PostBBC, on 01 December 2019 - 08:49 PM, said:

I was disappointed when I got a goat for a poor family as a teacher gift.  Very worthy, but I wanted something for me.  So I would prefer not to get a named star, but others may have a different opinion.

I completely disagree and your stance makes me uncomfortable. We are paid to do our jobs (yeah, not enough but that’s not the issue here) and shouldn’t be expecting or placing expectations on presents. I have received charity type gifts and have been very pleased with them. Once may have been because the family didn’t see eye to eye with me but I still appreciated the gesture as it meant someone else was helped out.

Most teachers don’t expect gifts and wouldn’t be disappointed no matter what they received. Sure we say in these kinds of threads that x,y and z is over gifted or not used but that’s not because we want something better for ourselves. Well, at least that’s they way I thought most teachers felt.

#60 eachschoolholidays

Posted 02 December 2019 - 05:48 AM

DH and I are both teachers and most of my immediate family are also teachers.

It’s hard to make recommendations because people are so different.  Eg My brother hates chocolate but I love it. My husband loves red wine but mother hates it. My mother loves candles but I hate them etc etc

We appreciate any gifts but please don’t buy coffee mugs. We all have too many! None of the teachers I know are keen on gifts with your child’s photo on it. If you want us to remember your child, it’s not really a gift.  

Each year we have bought our children’s teachers a bottle of champagne (when it’s on special) and let each child pick a Christmas decoration that they think their teacher would like. The total ends up being around $50 so it doesn’t cause problems.

#61 Expelliarmus

Posted 02 December 2019 - 07:03 AM

I would like the goat but not the star. The star seems ... too personal I think. Like that is something you get when a relationship is super meaningful. Teachers like their kids and want the best for them and make strong connections but I don’t think it’s that *kind* of relationship.

It’s definitely difficult to say exactly what a teacher will like - I don’t drink alcohol so when the standard reply is ‘wine’ I’m like ‘um ... nope!’ That said I did get a bottle of champagne last year and while I couldn’t use it I still appreciated the fact someone was thinking of me. I just regifted it when someone had an event that called for champers.

But yeah that’s why I always say stationery or the like because we can all use that! Having said that our PE teacher wouldn’t ... I guess as long as there’s some thought about it then all is well :) .

#62 cstar

Posted 02 December 2019 - 07:16 AM

View PostJenflea, on 28 October 2017 - 08:58 PM, said:

and a personalised Christmas ornament with DD's name and year or something on it to remember her by.

I don’t want to be rude, genuine question, would teachers really want to be putting a bunch of random ornaments on their xmas trees with past students names on them? Our tree has a heap of different ornaments on it, some old some new, stuff kids made, but I see so many picture on fb etc and most peoples trees are colour coordinated and rather perfect looking.

#63 DirtyStreetPie

Posted 02 December 2019 - 07:35 AM

My favourite gifts were the following:

- Years ago, one of my Year 8s went to the school canteen and bought me a bag of raspberry licorice before I went on mat leave. Adorable. :)

- This year, my Year 11s organised food and drink for our last lesson, and at the end, they gave me three cheers, cleared the furniture out of the way, and took a class photo with me in the middle. I have a copy of that photo.

It's those special moments, when you realise your work is valued, that make the best gifts. So, in that vein, a letter or email, explaining why your teacher means so much to you, would suffice.

#64 cvbn

Posted 02 December 2019 - 07:49 AM

I do a bit of baking, generally supply the camps with snacks.
The past few years I have filled a large Sistema container with biscuits for the staff room. (I usually send brown paper bags as well so they can take some home)
I make a mixture.

The year before last I sent chocolate as I read that some people wouldn't eat homemade food and I was challenged :yes:  so I guess our teachers don't mind.

​It's around $100 for the ingredients and that makes 5kg of
pretty fancy biscuits. The containersregularly go on sale for half price so that is around $14. For 12 teachers and staff that do a great job. I am pretty happy with that.

Edited by cvbn, 02 December 2019 - 10:01 AM.

#65 onetrick

Posted 02 December 2019 - 10:07 AM

View PostDirtyStreetPie, on 02 December 2019 - 07:35 AM, said:

My favourite gifts were the following:

- Years ago, one of my Year 8s went to the school canteen and bought me a bag of raspberry licorice before I went on mat leave. Adorable. :)

- This year, my Year 11s organised food and drink for our last lesson, and at the end, they gave me three cheers, cleared the furniture out of the way, and took a class photo with me in the middle. I have a copy of that photo.

It's those special moments, when you realise your work is valued, that make the best gifts. So, in that vein, a letter or email, explaining why your teacher means so much to you, would suffice.

I agree with so many of your teaching posts, including this one :)
I have a small drawer at work with letters and cards from past students for when I'm having a tough day. This is so much better than actual stuff.
I know primary teachers get heaps (mum used to take home boxes and boxes), but we dont get much as secondary teachers so every gift is absolutely valued, but my favourites are the cards/ notes that come with the presents :)
As for the above- I agree with expelli, the goat would be fun (or other 'education related' charity support), but a star would feel self indulgent. Dont know why? Unless the teacher had a passion for astronomy or something, then it could be an awesomely personal present :)

#66 magic_marker

Posted 02 December 2019 - 10:31 AM

View PostHolly298, on 29 October 2017 - 08:04 AM, said:

You mean declare it to the school? Why would it matter? Our principal didn’t say anything last year and we are in Sydney- where would they have that as a policy?

I think it might be a national thing.
Teachers have to declare gifts over the value of $50 to the Tax Department. It sucks, but that's the way it is.

#67 magic_marker

Posted 02 December 2019 - 10:51 AM

Last year l had DD sit down and do cards. I went to Bunnings and got packets of seeds and stapled them onto the inside with the caption of "Thank you for helping me grow". This was Foundation year.

#68 YodaTheWrinkledOne

Posted 02 December 2019 - 10:57 AM

Officeworks giftcard and the kids make their own Xmas-Thankyou card for their teacher with a note about what they have enjoyed over the year. I usually make it a $30 gift card if our budget allows for it that year.

I have many teacher friends and they have all said that they can happily do without the "stuff" but it's the personal cards that they love and make it worthwhile. Plus anything that helps teaching for the following year - hence the officeworks gift cards.

ETA: If you don't really know the teacher that well, it's hard to know if things like chocolate, wine, etc are good gifts. Some teachers love those kinds of gifts, others are not so fussed. Last year, DD1's teacher was doing the landscaping of his property. He had mentioned to DD1 that he wasn't sure what native plants to use in one of the garden beds, but that he wanted it to look good. We gave him two native plants - he loved it (and sent DD a photo just recently of how much they have grown in the past year, which she loved).

Edited by YodaTheWrinkledOne, 02 December 2019 - 11:03 AM.

#69 EPZ

Posted 02 December 2019 - 11:05 AM

We got DS teacher a mug (he likes coffee) with 'I am a teacher, what's your super power?' written on the front. I will get him a coffee voucher or bottle of alcohol also.

DD chose a gift from Kikki K, for her teacher. Small planters, which are really cute.

Sport teacher,  we got a pair of socks with pictures of santa playing cricket  - just fun novelty ones.

Art  - A salad bowl with painted pictures of birds on it. Actually quite lovely.

#70 JBH

Posted 02 December 2019 - 11:29 AM

Just posting here because a friend who is a high school teacher is a low SES area with most of students struggling with difficult home lives showed me a card from one of her students. It says “Thank you for making me feel like I matter. I don’t always understand the subject but you never make me feel dumb. Thanks for caring about me.”

#71 Mose

Posted 02 December 2019 - 11:35 AM

Not a teacher, but do volunteer work with a group of children weekly.

I have actually been really glad to see a move toward cards only - I used to come home from our final break up over-laden with chocolate and body products.  I love the thought, but I actually didn't need the stuff, and much of it ended up in the bin or at the op shop.

For us, I buy the food (including "treat" food) we want, and if I am given extra, we literally won't eat it before it gets to use by. Something is ending up in the bin, either what I bought or what was bought for me.

Of course I always show genuine appreciation, but it is the thought more than the gift itself that I appreciate.

I always try to go with something that is easy to re-gift if it isn't wanted - movie vouchers are good for this.

#72 panda eyes

Posted 02 December 2019 - 11:52 AM

Are $50 gift cards ok to give in NSW, or do I need to make it $40 so the teacher doesn't need to declare it?

DSs teacher has really gone into bat for him this year, so I'd like to get something for her. Should I do our local bookshop, dymocks, officeworks or maybe booktopia as they often have good specials? I'm hopeless at deciding.

#73 IamtheMumma

Posted 02 December 2019 - 11:54 AM

I'm planning on getting Officeworks gift cards and have ordered a special plant gift. Both teachers talk a lot about their gardens and the kindy's garden so I hope I'm on the right track with the plants.

Edit - does anyone know the gift limit for QLD?

Edited by IamtheMumma, 02 December 2019 - 11:54 AM.

#74 Crombek

Posted 02 December 2019 - 12:27 PM

Do you still get presents for teachers your child has struggled with? And that you haven’t felt really worked well for your child? Not sure if I’m being petty!

#75 magic_marker

Posted 02 December 2019 - 12:33 PM

View PostCrombek, on 02 December 2019 - 12:27 PM, said:

Do you still get presents for teachers your child has struggled with? And that you haven’t felt really worked well for your child? Not sure if I’m being petty!

Maybe an opportunity to talk to your child about being the bigger person. I dunno.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.