Christmas gifts for teachers

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#76 Tinky Winky Woo

Posted 02 December 2019 - 12:36 PM

I did get a token gift for a teacher my child didn't gel as well with.  It was neither sides fault but they were not suited to my kid and vise versa.  But I am also the kind of person who enjoys the buying and giving of gifts.

#77 Riotproof

Posted 02 December 2019 - 01:42 PM

View PostCrombek, on 02 December 2019 - 12:27 PM, said:

Do you still get presents for teachers your child has struggled with? And that you haven’t felt really worked well for your child? Not sure if I’m being petty!

They aren’t compulsory. If I felt as you do, I would not.

#78 Kiwi Bicycle

Posted 02 December 2019 - 03:02 PM

Do you still get presents for teachers your child has struggled with? And that you haven’t felt really worked well for your child? Not sure if I’m being petty!

I am in the same boat added with the teacher's contract hasn't been renewed. She told another mum and I she didn't have a job to go to and thought she had done really well with the children this year...

I will do a homemade card however as DS liked her.

#79 PhillipaCrawford

Posted 02 December 2019 - 06:04 PM

View Postcstar, on 02 December 2019 - 07:16 AM, said:

I don’t want to be rude, genuine question, would teachers really want to be putting a bunch of random ornaments on their xmas trees with past students names on them? Our tree has a heap of different ornaments on it, some old some new, stuff kids made, but I see so many picture on fb etc and most peoples trees are colour coordinated and rather perfect looking.

I love decorations.
They are as special to me as the ones made by my own children and I treasure putting them up each year.

ETA But then I work with 4year olds and it would be pretty obvious that perfect is not what I am about

Edited by PhillipaCrawford, 02 December 2019 - 06:08 PM.

#80 Expelliarmus

Posted 02 December 2019 - 06:21 PM

I haven’t gotten a lot of tree decorations but I’m telling you - I would LOVE that. I’m surprised I haven’t gotten more to be honest. My love of Christmas is legendary ... I definitely keep the heartfelt cards.

Sounds trite but really it’s the thought that counts!

#81 Jingleflea

Posted 02 December 2019 - 06:44 PM

I'm struggling with DD's teachers this year because I haven't had much contact with either of them.
I'll do the Officeworks voucher(6 students out of about 50 didn't provide the book pack this year) but I like to also put something more suited to them personally too.

I know nothing much about either, male and female.
I don't do alcohol in case they struggle with drinking, I haven't seen either of them drink coffee..

#82 BBC

Posted 02 December 2019 - 07:04 PM

I don't have any expectations of gifts, but I do enjoy getting them.  My favourite ever have been a big mug that I use for my work coffee every day, and a homemade gingerbread house that a student and their mum made together.

I also love a homemade card from a student or a little note from a parent.

#83 Dianalynch

Posted 02 December 2019 - 07:08 PM

This year eco wraps (like beeswax wraps but vegan cos you never know) for the environmentally conscious non drinking teachers, wine for the teachers that do so, and both for ds’s teacher who has gone above and beyond

#84 Ivy Ivy

Posted 02 December 2019 - 07:15 PM

If it's the class homeroom teacher I'm unimpressed with, then Yes I do give them a present, but just by contributing to the group whole class present and nothing more (so that's usually average about $35, range at their schools has been $20-$50 per family for group present).

For homeroom teachers my kids or I have thought tremendous, I will go in with the group present and also buy something extra just from my kid.  Once my daughter felt so close to her teacher, and wanted to pick something special, and at DJs chose a beautiful perfume pack that on special cost $100, so that homeroom teacher just got that.

For specialty teachers (and each child has 5-10 of these) I only have the kids give them a gift if the kids like that specialty teacher; this basically ends up being >90% of their specialty teachers.  Those gifts are usually <$20 each.

I think teachers are vastly underpaid for what they do, and wish I could give really expensive things to the absolutely great teachers, but know one school has rules about it, and in fact I've been "talked to" by the principal as the group class present buyer once when we had $1000 for one teacher from all the parents combined.  I just evaded on the exact amount we'd collected.

#85 Heather11

Posted 02 December 2019 - 07:16 PM

I don’t want to be rude, genuine question, would teachers really want to be putting a bunch of random ornaments on their xmas trees with past students names on them? Our tree has a heap of different ornaments on it, some old some new, stuff kids made, but I see so many picture on fb etc and most peoples trees are colour coordinated and rather perfect looking.

My middle child often has a lot of school support staff that we like to thank for helping him through the year.

On one occasion I gave them all personalised Christmas decorations.  A couple of years later after my child had left the school, one teacher's aide came up to me in the yard and mentioned how she had put up her Christmas tree that weekend and on it she had hung the decoration.  She said it brought a smile to her face remembering him.

#86 eachschoolholidays

Posted 02 December 2019 - 08:49 PM

I have ornaments on our tree that students have given DH or I. I would not put them on there if they had the child’s face or name on them. That would feel weird.

#87 Heather11

Posted 02 December 2019 - 09:31 PM

View Posteachschoolholidays, on 02 December 2019 - 08:49 PM, said:

I have ornaments on our tree that students have given DH or I. I would not put them on there if they had the child’s face or name on them. That would feel weird.

The ornaments I gave were similar to these.  While they did have my DS's name on them, it wasn't the main focus of the ornament.
https://www.creation...ations/teacher/

#88 mpoppins92

Posted 02 December 2019 - 11:35 PM

I definitely don’t need more mugs but will graciously accept any given to me. I got 7 for my birthday. Lovely gestures though.

I’m lactose intolerant and although my kids do know I don’t eat chocolate I’m sure I’ll also get some of that.

Honestly a card and a note really is what means the most. I wouldn’t put a Christmas decoration from a child on my home tree but would get it out for Christmas at school.

Vouchers are probably the most useful!

#89 Lesley225

Posted 03 December 2019 - 06:30 PM

View Postmagic_marker, on 02 December 2019 - 10:31 AM, said:

I think it might be a national thing.
Teachers have to declare gifts over the value of $50 to the Tax Department. It sucks, but that's the way it is.

There's no such thing as the tax department and they really don't.

It's an office of the department of treasury.

#90 quartz85

Posted 03 December 2019 - 07:19 PM

I love hand written notes and cards. Nice memories.

The best present I ever got was a box of cherries. Sooo good. That's what we get daycare now. And wine. But that's daycare. I wouldn't do that for school teachers.

I'm not a fan of mugs. Gift vouchers would be nice. The body show pack sounds fantastic. Not something I'd buy for myself, but I would love.

The goat or chicken with a nice card would be awesome.

#91 Lifesgood

Posted 03 December 2019 - 07:41 PM

Our class parents the past couple of years have organised a collection through the below website. Each child uploads a photo and writes their own message to the teacher and donates whatever amount they want to/can afford. No one else can see how much you have contributed. The class parents then purchase a gift voucher which they give to the teacher with a big card. They print out the kids photos and messages and stick them in the card.

https://www.grouptogether.com/

#92 Expelliarmus

Posted 03 December 2019 - 11:46 PM

View Postmagic_marker, on 02 December 2019 - 10:31 AM, said:

I think it might be a national thing.
Teachers have to declare gifts over the value of $50 to the Tax Department. It sucks, but that's the way it is.
Nah, in SA we have to tell the principal and they put it on some sort of register. Nothing to do with any sort of tax - department or otherwise.

Edited by Expelliarmus, 03 December 2019 - 11:46 PM.

#93 Crazyone26989

Posted 04 December 2019 - 12:53 AM

View PostExpelliarmus, on 03 December 2019 - 11:46 PM, said:

Nah, in SA we have to tell the principal and they put it on some sort of register. Nothing to do with any sort of tax - department or otherwise.
Same in NSW. It’s a bribery thing not a tax thing.

#94 Holly298

Posted 04 December 2019 - 05:17 AM

I’ve since spoken to our principal and he said combined class gifts are fine, the teachers don’t have to declare it at all so maybe it’s an individual school thing? We did $10 each child this year and bought our teacher a premium ticket double pass to the rugby 7,s game , he absolutely loved it!

#95 eachschoolholidays

Posted 04 December 2019 - 05:26 AM

View PostExpelliarmus, on 03 December 2019 - 11:46 PM, said:

Yes, it’s the same in NSW Dept schools. Independent schools make their own limits. It’s nothing to do with tax.

#96 eachschoolholidays

Posted 04 December 2019 - 05:29 AM

View PostHeather11, on 02 December 2019 - 09:31 PM, said:

The ornaments I gave were similar to these.  While they did have my DS's name on them, it wasn't the main focus of the ornament.
https://www.creation...ations/teacher/

Maybe, but probably not.  It still feels like you just want me to remember your child rather than thanking me for teaching them.  I’m just not that keen to have students’ names / photos in my house.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.