Loyalty Card or Membership (Massage Therapy)

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 samandimmysmum

Posted 08 November 2017 - 01:39 PM

HI All,

I am after your opinions.  If you had the choice of a loyalty card or a membership which would you choose?

All massages are relaxation with scalp massage included

Loyalty Card: (which would you prefer)
a) 10th massage free
b) 5th massage 1/2 price and 10th free
c) 5th massage 1/2 price and 10th 1/2 price
d) other - please specify

Membership:
Join $20 once only payment
$5 off each massage and on/for your birthday receive a massage 1/2 price or gift (gift ideas welcome)

I would love to hear your opinions/suggestions

Thanks

#2 Mrs_greyhound

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:02 PM

Definitely the loyalty card. memberships sounds WAY too complicated. Of your options, (b) benefits the customer most, but I think (a) is the most logical way to do it.

If you want my honest opinion though, don’t bother with either. I have never seen a loyalty discount for a massage place, and would probably see it as a disincentive rather than an incentive. I think I’ve commented on your previous threads along similar lines, but these kinds of things, along with opening specials etc, just cheapen the look of a business to me.

If your service is good and your prices are reasonable, you shouldn’t have trouble with maintaining customer loyalty.

#3 samandimmysmum

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:17 PM

Thanks Mrs_greyhound for your reply.

I have always thought giving Loyalty Cards but then thought of another option and just wasnt sure which the client would prefer.

The membership isn't overly complicated.  Basically the client gets $5 off each time they come.  When its their birthday then they will either get a gift or something which will need to be used either in the week of their birthday or within a month of their birthday.

Thanks again

#4 Inkogneatoh

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:22 PM

Where I go for massages (they do remedial and relaxation) does loyalty cards. Normally the massages are a hour, but with the cards you get a free 45 min one for the 8th and 16th, plus a half price one at 12. I go more for the remedial, and so go fortnightly. While the cards say the free ones are 45 min, when ever I've collected, it's still been the hour.

I think the difference would depend on how often your repeat business is. For that membership fee, it's equal to 4 discounted massages.

#5 José

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:47 PM

Loyalty card.

I went to a remedial place that had a loyalty card.
It didnt impact me one way or another. I went there while i was happy with them and left when i wasnt.

#6 born.a.girl

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:50 PM

Loyalty card.

Edited by born.a.girl, 08 November 2017 - 02:51 PM.

#7 BornToLove

Posted 08 November 2017 - 05:54 PM

Another vote for loyalty card. It would be a huge bonus if you can track the cards on your end. I’m forever losing my coffee shop loyalty card, I have given up on them. They’re lucky their coffee is so good or I’d probably go to the other shop that have an app that tracks my free cups.

#8 Kafkaesque

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:08 PM

Loyalty card. I never pay for memberships.

#9 Nora.

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:18 PM

I don't get ever paying for a membership, that is a complete turn off to me.

I'd go with 5th massage half price. 10 (to many) is unattainable, but 5 is reasonable.

Did I say how much I hate membership fees? ;)

#10 samandimmysmum

Posted 08 November 2017 - 10:42 PM

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Loyalty cards it is.

One more question:

* 5th visit and 10th visit 1/2 price or
* 10th visit free

I were thinking maybe the top one as then I still have money coming in (even if it is less) rather than having 5 people come in at same time getting their massage free.

What do you think?  I am open to other suggestions (will be using a 10 visit pass)

Thanks again

#11 SeaPrincess

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:23 PM

DH has just signed me up for a membership at a massage place near us. I will always have a remedial massage, and the monthly cost works out about $30 less than the retail price of a remedial massage, plus I can claim it on PHI, so I’ll get a bit more off again. No contract, so if I’m not enjoying it or not using it, I can stop at any time.

Edited by SeaPrincess, 08 November 2017 - 11:24 PM.

#12 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:30 PM

Depending on how much one massage costs, I would suggest the 10th half price. But have a look at what others in your area are doing, as presumably your customers will be comparing you with others near by.

#13 Mooples

Posted 08 November 2017 - 11:37 PM

I think it depends on who you’re targeting. There seem to be a few people who get remedial massages regularly so will quickly reach their tenth visit however I think the average person coming in for a relaxation massage will take a lot longer to get to ten so five is more reasonable. I’d be lucky to get a massage twice a year so if it was going to take me 5 years to receive any benefit I wouldn’t bother.

#14 samandimmysmum

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:09 AM

sorry I should have put relaxation only massages.  1 hr massage is $60 but will put that price up next year sometime

thanks again

#15 Caitlin Happymeal

Posted 09 November 2017 - 11:27 AM

I used to have a prepaid setup for my business that meant that out of 10 massages they got one free. It was a corporate visiting service, so a fairly captive audience and well recieved with good uptake. Made it convenient for them to not have to remember cash or worry with bringing wallets to their appointment.

I disagree that it cheapens your business, I think it rewards loyalty. Loads of massage businesses do it. Another practice i worked for used to sell bulk gift vouchers and it worked beautifully - they could budget for staffing just about 6 months in advance.

Each business will have different clientele demographics so you might just have to play with your formula til you crack the right one.

#16 just roses

Posted 09 November 2017 - 02:03 PM

What about a package? I buy a package of 6 regular treatments (brow wax and tint). I like it because I get the discount upfront (don’t have to remember to bring a card), I save money and I don’t have to remember to have cash on me.

#17 just roses

Posted 09 November 2017 - 02:07 PM

Given a package means you get the cash in advance, it might be worth your while to make it generous. So buy six in advance and pay for 5.

#18 samandimmysmum

Posted 20 November 2017 - 10:39 AM

Thanks everyone for your replies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.