235 replies to this topic

#1 JustBeige

Posted 11 November 2017 - 07:48 AM

New thread time :)

old thread here

#2 Thursday

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:02 AM

GOLD!

I've had a couple of quite good runs this week, nothing spectacular but I think I'm getting to the point where I feel like I can just keep running a bit sooner than I used to.
Then I get to a hill and realise I can't just keep running really! But I think I recover quicker now too.

#3 DontPokeTheBearMum

Posted 11 November 2017 - 04:21 PM

SILVER! Wooo!

My motivation to run has been lagging so much after my half. I think because the "season" is over and I don't have a race until May next year (another half.) I've been doing a lot more strength training and just started cross-fit, which I love. I still try to run at least 3 times a week, but this week it was only two shorter ones (7 km and 10 km this morning.) I hate this feeling but I know it will pass.

#4 mayahlb

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:40 AM

Asperhacker - saw your post on the previous thread. How exciting!

I'm just plodding along run wise. My stamina and ability to run further and longer distances has definitely improved. I must admit I like the 10kms distance though, not sure I'll go above that often. Maybe when it finally cools down around April/May.

#5 #YKG

Posted 14 November 2017 - 02:02 PM

I'm so annoyed, on Sunday I went for a run and felt a tightening in my calf, didn't think much of it, couldn't walk yesterday and barely today. Went to Dr and confirmed I've strained the Achilles tendon so not allowed to run for next 2-3 weeks 😭 I've been told to swap running for the elliptical at the gym, it's a good sign I can move my foot which indicates no breakage, but if doesn't resolve need to get an ultrasound

Here's hoping it resolves on its own.

#6 mayahlb

Posted 14 November 2017 - 05:39 PM

Crud ykg :(

I just couldn't run this morning. It's that time of the month and OMG I think the iron tablets I'm on at the moment have made the accompanying cramps worse if anything. Normally I'm fine to run despite the evil AF but nope made it 1km and had to stop. Am going to try for a walk this arvo even though I'd actually prefer a nap.

#7 Dadto2

Posted 17 November 2017 - 03:47 PM

View Post#YKG, on 14 November 2017 - 02:02 PM, said:

I'm so annoyed, on Sunday I went for a run and felt a tightening in my calf, didn't think much of it, couldn't walk yesterday and barely today. Went to Dr and confirmed I've strained the Achilles tendon so not allowed to run for next 2-3 weeks I've been told to swap running for the elliptical at the gym, it's a good sign I can move my foot which indicates no breakage, but if doesn't resolve need to get an ultrasound

Here's hoping it resolves on its own.

Have you been to a physio or sports Dr or just a GP? If the latter, I'd go and see the former.

#8 #YKG

Posted 17 November 2017 - 10:52 PM

View PostDadto2, on 17 November 2017 - 03:47 PM, said:

Have you been to a physio or sports Dr or just a GP? If the latter, I'd go and see the former.

I work in a public hospital and saw one of our consultants, physio won’t do much for tendon damage, all they will do is tell me to do what I’ve been told to do. It just comes down to time.

#9 mayahlb

Posted 20 November 2017 - 11:30 AM

hope it's feeling better YKG.

10kms felt like 20 this morning. Humidity sucks. Drains all the enjoyment I have in running out of me. And it was high, really high this morning.

In other news DH is buying me a Garmin Vivoactive 3 for Christmas. Got it while it was 20% off a rebel sports.

Edited by mayahlb, 20 November 2017 - 11:32 AM.

#10 Dadto2

Posted 20 November 2017 - 01:01 PM

View Post#YKG, on 17 November 2017 - 10:52 PM, said:

I work in a public hospital and saw one of our consultants, physio won’t do much for tendon damage, all they will do is tell me to do what I’ve been told to do. It just comes down to time.

A good physio will be able to identify the problem. You don't necessarily have to rest it. In fact rest can do nothing for things like hamstring tendinitis. I had a problem with my Achilles and physios were treating the calf/Achilles and telling me to rest, which did nothing, as soon as I went back to running it flared up again, because the problem still existed. And that problem was tight hip flexors which wasn't identified until I went to a top sports physio. As long as they remained tight, my calf and AT were going to have problems and all other medical pros I'd seen had missed this. As soon as I started strengthening my hip flexor I could run again. I'm just saying because you might rest for 6 weeks, come back and still not be able to run or end up injuring it later on down the track.

#11 #YKG

Posted 04 January 2018 - 01:54 PM

Thanks dad2to, but with following medical advice I’ve had no pain. I went for a run/walk interval yesterday for the first time, I made sure I strapped it and haven’t had any pain, I’m going limit my runs to 3 times a week. I’ll work back up.

But exciting I signed up for this run https://www.rundisne...-half-marathon/

And doing run for the kids, Mother’s Day classic, run Melbourne, Medibank run, run Disney virtual shorts (and any others they do) and ONJ research & wellness 10k.

It’s going to be very much a goal oriented year.

#12 mayahlb

Posted 08 January 2018 - 06:18 PM

Great to hear the pain is gone #YKG!

DH is getting me another treadmill (old one died around this time last year). He knows I'm desperately missing my runs, but the wet season here is not conducive to running at all. Tried to go out this morning and was attacked by March flies. Damned horrible things. Between the bugs and the heat and humidity (30 and 76% this morning at 6am!), the lightening that rolls in with the storms, I just can't force myself to do it. Treadmill = run in aircon + TV. Not as good but it will do until April.

#13 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 19 February 2018 - 05:19 PM

I finally cracked the 30 minute Parkrun! Went from 30:42 to 29:25. Super happy about it.

#14 Dadto2

Posted 19 February 2018 - 05:24 PM

View PostFuzzyChocolateToes, on 19 February 2018 - 05:19 PM, said:

I finally cracked the 30 minute Parkrun! Went from 30:42 to 29:25. Super happy about it.
Well done!

#15 FuzzyChocolateToes

Posted 04 May 2018 - 10:38 PM

Bumping this. Who is still running? I'm in the market for new shoes. I still love my NB Zante and wish I'd bought 5 pairs of the first version.

#16 #YKG

Posted 05 May 2018 - 10:27 AM

I am, I’ve got around 8 runs in total this year, did run for the kids, and doing Mother’s Day clsssic on Mother’s Day.

I’ve got just under 300km (around 3/4 more months) until I hit 600+km and need to replace my shoes. I’ll be getting refitted again to make sure I’m wearing the right shoes.

#17 DontPokeTheBearMum

Posted 05 May 2018 - 10:36 AM

I'm still running!

I've got a niggle in my hip again, plus I'm recovering from tonsillitis at the moment, and I have the SMH half marathon on the 20th! I'm a bit worried I am going to be undertrained, my longest run has been 14km and Im not sure I'm going to be able to fit in one or two 16- 18 km runs before the event. Argh!!
I know I can make distance, it's my second half, it just might be slow and messy. Eh, I'll get her done.

Congrats on cracking the 30 min parkrun FCT! I was so close a few weeks ago, 30:57. Damn that 57 seconds! :no2:

#18 AsperHacker

Posted 05 May 2018 - 09:27 PM

I'm still running! Always running. Currently tapering for UTA22 in 13 days 😲 freaking out but excited and really glad to be having a rest, it's been intense!

I'll be doing the local 4k mothers day classic next week and stadium stomp in July but have nothing else planned yet. Oh yeah, and I did the Gold Run at the Comm Games last month. That was super cool... except for the part where I drove 10 hours on Sat, ran the run on the Sun then drove home 10 hours. Not one of my cleverest ideas but worth it for the once in a life time bling!

Congrats on the sub 30 FCT!

#19 Thursday

Posted 06 May 2018 - 12:53 PM

View PostAsperHacker, on 05 May 2018 - 09:27 PM, said:

I'm still running! Always running. Currently tapering for UTA22 in 13 days freaking out but excited and really glad to be having a rest, it's been intense!

Oh, you're doing the UTA22 this year! How's the training? I had a great time last year cheering on some friends and seeing the sights, the runners all looked exhausted but so happy! I would love to give it a go but I'm not quite there yet.

I'm still doing my usual waddle a few times a week, not getting any faster but just loving being able to get out and have some time to myself while also doing something for my health.

#20 AsperHacker

Posted 06 May 2018 - 08:28 PM

View PostThursday, on 06 May 2018 - 12:53 PM, said:

Oh, you're doing the UTA22 this year! How's the training? I had a great time last year cheering on some friends and seeing the sights, the runners all looked exhausted but so happy! I would love to give it a go but I'm not quite there yet.

I'm still doing my usual waddle a few times a week, not getting any faster but just loving being able to get out and have some time to myself while also doing something for my health.

Yep, I had to get it done! Training has been tough and I probably haven't done enough but I've loved it. Lots of 3 hour trails up my local mountain, tears, tantrums and soul searching. Now I'm tapering it'll just be a few 5-7k runs this week and next. No long run Sunday today meant I stayed up until 3am playing Xbox last night! I'm usually asleep by 9pm and awake by 430 these days!

#21 #YKG

Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:23 AM

Did the Mother’s Day classic 8km. Didn’t do as well as I expected to, the start was pretty much uphill which killed me, then went down hill. I forgot to stop my tracker after going over the finish line and walked around 1km to bag pick up before I realised and turned it off. So it’s messed with my stats, so don’t know my actual pace, but did it in 1 hr 13 mins. Not happy with it, really wanted under an hour.

#22 AsperHacker

Posted 14 May 2018 - 01:31 AM

Ugh! It's almost worse than not running at all when you forget to stop your watch! Is there an official time for your MDC? I know girls who got their times online.

I was planning on our local 4K MDC (no times/bibs, super casual) but the kids brought home a cold last week and I think my body's in shock with so few kms for taper that I've been too sick 😭

5 sleeps til UTA!

#23 Thursday

Posted 17 May 2018 - 08:12 PM

View Post#YKG, on 13 May 2018 - 11:23 AM, said:

Did the Mother’s Day classic 8km. Didn’t do as well as I expected to, the start was pretty much uphill which killed me, then went down hill. I forgot to stop my tracker after going over the finish line and walked around 1km to bag pick up before I realised and turned it off. So it’s messed with my stats, so don’t know my actual pace, but did it in 1 hr 13 mins. Not happy with it, really wanted under an hour.

Did you get an official time? Starting with a hill is just cruel.

AsperHacker, have a fantastic time doing the UTA tomorrow!

#24 AsperHacker

Posted 19 May 2018 - 06:47 AM

Aaand, uta22 is done! What a freaking A MA ZING race! I can't move now, I'm still high as a kite, and I'm staaaarving 😂 if anyone ever gets the chance to do it then DO IT!(Thursday, see you there next year?)

Stoked with my downhill first half, they say it can be worse than the uphill, but I nailed it and was way ahead of where I wanted to be - even with stacking it at 4.5km and taking a chunk out of my knee.

But, I've been sick with a cold the past week so really struggled with asthma on the up hills. I had my fuel on point so it was just the breathing that let me down.

12-15k was a bit meh then I got my second wind at 15k. Felt awesome until 19k. I realised I wasn't going to make my goal time so I slowed right down, let people overtake and spent a lot of time with no one in sight, just cruising.

I massively underestimated the Furber steps, they are just horrible. Definitely my least favourite part but by then I was with a group of people so we pushed through together.

I'm super keen to get out for a recovery run once my legs are working again... and I'm ready to get prepared to uta50 next year!!!

Edited by AsperHacker, 19 May 2018 - 06:48 AM.

#25 Thursday

Posted 20 May 2018 - 07:32 PM

That's so awesome AsperHacker, maybe I could give it a go! It would be pretty expensive all up but I'd love to do it. Did your family come up & support you? How long did the 22km take?

The 50 though, that's got to be a whole new level of difficult. I'm in awe of anyone who even considers it, you're doing so well!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.