Kid doing kindy at two different centers?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Brienne

Posted 22 November 2017 - 07:37 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm a bit torn about the best way to go next year. We have our daughter signed up at a standalone C&K kindy that is amazing. The waiting list is hundreds of children long and they are well known for being great.

The problem is... we both work, so 2 days a week isn't going to work. We can get away with 3 days a week + 1 day with grandma.

If we send her there, she would be doing 2 days a week at the standalone kindy, and doing 1 day a week at long day care kindy? (at the center she has just started attending)
The alternative is just to keep her where she is and do 3 days long day care kindy.

Does anyone send their children to 2 different kindies? Is it going to be so disruptive to her that the negatives are going to outweigh the positives?

Thanks.

Edited by Brienne, 22 November 2017 - 08:12 PM.

#2 sarahec

Posted 22 November 2017 - 07:46 PM

I haven't done this but next year I will (two days preschool two days long day care). I asked my son's developmental paed for her opinion and she said it was fine/ good idea.

#3 CallMeFeral

Posted 22 November 2017 - 07:50 PM

We did that and it was fine. It just took a little longer to warm up to the 1 day kindy.

#4 notsoretro

Posted 22 November 2017 - 07:52 PM

In his pre school year my son went to a long day care centre and a preschool. Both were local council facilities. Attending the preschool meant he could access an OT to supplement the speechy he saw at the local community health

#5 Lokum

Posted 22 November 2017 - 08:04 PM

My kids have both done both. We needed long day care for work, and we wanted the highly desirable but somewhat inconvenient sessional kinder.

Went fine.

Both served different purposes.

#6 Bearynice

Posted 22 November 2017 - 08:30 PM

I think it works quite well. The kids get two social groups, two different playgrounds, sets of toys etc

In the stand alone kinder they often get to take own lunch so get practice at opening lunch boxes but in daycare they get a nice hot meal.

They settle in. Perhaps a weekly visual chart can help with what day at each place

#7 born.a.girl

Posted 22 November 2017 - 08:32 PM

My great niece is doing that this year and thriving.  As per pps, the routine tends to be a little more school like at sessional kinders, and if she's already settled in at childcare I wouldn't see it as an issue at all.

#8 Future-self

Posted 22 November 2017 - 08:39 PM

Not me, but DS is a standalone kindy this year and has a couple of kids in his class then doing the off days at a Childcare. All parents have reported that it was fine when chatting. You mention C & K - so I assume you're QLD. Does the long childcare have an official Kindy program running? In which case there will hopefully be a few similarities around their objectives and activities anyway :)

#9 chicken_bits

Posted 22 November 2017 - 08:47 PM

We're in Vic. My daughter did last year. She went to local kinder for 2 days a week (8:30am-4:30pm) and 1 day at LDC. It worked wonderfully for her. She still got to see her friends at LDC and she made new friends at local kinder who she now goes to school with.

We'll do the same when DS turns 4.

#10 Pocket...

Posted 22 November 2017 - 08:50 PM

I know plenty of people who do it including teachers and it works fine.

#11 purpleblaze

Posted 22 November 2017 - 09:34 PM

Works fine for us too.  DS prefers the sessional kinder though.

#12 Feral Snow

Posted 23 November 2017 - 04:39 AM

My 3 have all done this. It's fine.

#13 coolbreeze

Posted 23 November 2017 - 04:45 AM

View PostCallMeFeral, on 22 November 2017 - 07:50 PM, said:

We did that and it was fine. It just took a little longer to warm up to the 1 day kindy.
This exactly, but it was fine.
CB

#14 timtam92

Posted 23 November 2017 - 05:08 AM

we have done it this  year with no problems.  2 days stand alone kinder, 1 day childcare and 1 day with grandparents.  the childcare spot is handy for the holidays - i just upped his days there.  There is a overlap of friends so that is good, but he has made new ones too.  they get to experience different programs so has been great.

#15 PhillipaCrawford

Posted 23 November 2017 - 05:37 AM

No issues at all for the child , I have many who have done it successfully over the years.

In Victoria we are required to select which centre we nominate to receive the 15 hours/week kindergarten funding and it is illegal for both centres to claim it. That may see fees slightly higher at the other centre

#16 Neko NoNo

Posted 23 November 2017 - 05:41 AM

does the kindy shut down for holidays? that's 12 weeks a year you have to cover those two days for. I thought about doing this for my son, but we could not have covered those 12 weeks, even with grandparent assistance. I imagine it would make you more prepared when school starts though, as you get into the routine of holidays

#17 Allegra99

Posted 23 November 2017 - 05:42 AM

My DD did 2 days kinder 2 days LDC. She even alternated during the week between them, and had no problems at all

#18 Hini

Posted 23 November 2017 - 06:12 AM

We thought about it but didn't. DS doesn't like change in routineand he's got great buddies at LDC. In our area the LDC is probably better than sessional plus what we're we going to do during the school holidays?!

That's a problem I'd rather solve the year after!

#19 Ek35

Posted 17 August 2018 - 11:12 AM

I was thinking to send my son 2 days preschool and 2 days long day care. Does anyone know how it works with child care subsidy? Does anything get affected as the preschool im interested in gets funding under the start strong program. Btw I’m in Sydney.

#20 Rubyroo

Posted 17 August 2018 - 05:56 PM

My daughter attends preschool 3 days per week and LDC for the other 2.  The preschool is not eligible for child care subsidy, as it runs the preschool program only (ie it runs from 9am to 3pm in school terms only).

The LDC only accepts kids from 2 years old, so the program is similar to a preschool.

She definitely prefers the preschool, but both have worked out fine.  It has been interesting seeing the difference in how the early learning framework has been implemented between the 2 centres.

#21 Contrebasse

Posted 18 August 2018 - 09:25 PM

Some long day cares will only guarantee a place if they get the kindergarten subsidy for your child (meaning you can’t also go to sessional kinder) - will depend on how full they are

#22 Hands Up

Posted 19 August 2018 - 12:27 PM

We’ve thought about it but deduced not to as firstly DS1 really struggles with change and secondly we’d be really stuck during holiday periods as we have no family nearby.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.